Sufc Vs Swfc

Blacky

United or Wednesday? - Blades or Owls?

Just who is the better of the two? who has the best record?

If we are talking about League Championships then the accolade goes to Wednesday with their four titles comfortably exceeding Uniteds sole win in 1897/98.

On the other hand if its the FA Cup then United take this one 4-3 - Although the last win for either club was in 1935!!!

But both teams have played 108 seasons so how can you base it on just the small percentage of seasons that have ended in a trophy? But is it also fair to just tot up the total number of points each team has accrued since the 1892/93 season?

for instance, can a win in the first division be classed the same as a win in the fourth? Also using an overall win % would cast up the same discrepancies.

So the method i have used is probably the most simple one (you may not agree that its the most accurate or representative) - ive merely taken each teams placing for each season and calculated a grand total.

This means that on this occasion youre not looking for the most points, but the least!!!!

For the Championship winning teams earn their club a "1" and on the other side of the coin Uniteds Division 4 team is worth a "69". make sense?

So over 108 seasons how large a gap do you think will have grown between the two clubs?

Well, you may be surprised with the results:

SWFC have accrued a placing total of 2198 - this is versus the SUFC total of 2250! - so over all these seasons there is only a gap of 52 places!!!

take this as an average over the 108 seasons and Wednesday have an average of 20.5 and United of 20.8 - so basically the Citys average is a Premier League Relegation battle!!!

Combined, the best placing for the city was the 1902/03 season when Wednesday won the league and United finished fourth (5pts)

The worst season was the 1979/80 season (103pts) - worryingly if the current placings dont change over the last few games then this seasons total would be 98pts and the third worst in history.

Lastly, from this you can tell who had the largest period of dominance over its city rival.

For the Owls this was from season 1979/80 to 1989/90 (11 seasons) - not until the "great escape" season of 1990/91 did United finish above Wednesday.

Again, to illustrate how close the clubs are United also have an 11 season domincance - 1913/14 to 1927/28 (league suspended during WW1) - Wednesdays first of two consecutive championships stopping United gaining a twelth season of dominance.

However, there is one twist in the tail - the last time Wednesday finished above United was their Premiership relegation season of 199/00 - that was 11 seasons ago, so if the expected relegation takes place at S2 then United need to finish above Wednesday next season to achieve the most consecutive number of years finishing above their neighbours.

Still wont hide the fact that theyre both in Division Three though!!!!!!! :angry:

Blue and White

or Red and White

It seems to me

We're both playing .... not very well

There may have been some self-editing going on there ...

Interesting calculations.

Probably best for a football-forum but - Sheffield City, one team, combined support, one ground, one support, one unified cost ... OK I'll get mi coat then :rolleyes:

(I'd prefer if this discussion focused on the history of such discussions, rather than the current situation, that discussion does belong elsewhere).

Blue and White

or Red and White

It seems to me

We're both playing .... not very well

There may have been some self-editing going on there ...

Interesting calculations.

Probably best for a football-forum but - Sheffield City, one team, combined support, one ground, one support, one unified cost ... OK I'll get mi coat then :rolleyes:

Why can't we go back to the good old days of friendly rivalry, both teams have a proud past so lets just leave it at that. W/E.

(I'd prefer if this discussion focused on the history of such discussions, rather than the current situation, that discussion does belong elsewhere).