Victoria Methodist Church- Shrewsbury Road

popt

I have just learned that my Great Grandfather was a preacher and the nearest church to his home was the Victoria Methodist Church on the junction of Shrewsbiury Road and Granville Lane.

He lived in the area from the 1850's to the 1870's and wondered if there was any information available on the preachers who took services at the church about that time?

Any information on where to search or any advoice would be appreciated

PopT

I have just learned that my Great Grandfather was a preacher and the nearest church to his home was the Victoria Methodist Church on the junction of Shrewsbiury Road and Granville Lane.

He lived in the area from the 1850's to the 1870's and wondered if there was any information available on the preachers who took services at the church about that time?

PopT

I would check out History of Wesleyan Methodism in Sheffield Park by J.J. Graham. Published 1914. Local studies or your local library should have one or order it for you if you live in Sheffield that is!

PopT

You can also check with the John Rylands Library of the University of Manchester http://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/searchresources/guidetospecialcollections/methodist/methodistarchivescollectioncatalogue/

which is the main archive for Methodist material but I don't think it has an overall index of Methodist local preachers. Its worth asking Sheffield Archives if they have any info on Victoria plus old Methodist Preaching Plans for Sheffield although the time you are interested in would be split between Wesleyan Methodists & Primitive Methodists.

Best of luck as the Free Churches don't seem to have had any archiving policy & whether material is archived seems to depends on the individual church. I have had no success in finding records for local preachers in my family !

John