The Reverend Thomas Best

Stuart0742

Received by email

I am researching the history of the Cherrytree and the gentleman who started the orphanage was a Rev Edward Ridge Taylor. who I understand worked with the Rev. Thomas Best of St. James Church, Sheffield. do you have any information on Thomas Best and is there anywhere mentioned about him working with Rev E. R.Taylor this would have been around the year 1854 I understand that Thomas Best persuaded E.R.Taylor to go to the Crimea as a missionary Soldiers Friends Soc.

Any information you can provide would help with my research.

Mrs. M. Marshall.

Received by email

I am researching the history of the Cherrytree and the gentleman who started the orphanage was a Rev Edward Ridge Taylor. who I understand worked with the Rev. Thomas Best of St. James Church, Sheffield. do you have any information on Thomas Best and is there anywhere mentioned about him working with Rev E. R.Taylor this would have been around the year 1854 I understand that Thomas Best persuaded E.R.Taylor to go to the Crimea as a missionary Soldiers Friends Soc.

Mrs. M. Marshall.

Go to the the-a-tre

Thomas Best was known for his verbal attacks on the Theatre.

The Rev. Thomas Best, "father of the Sheffield clergy", who for forty-eight years had been the Incumbent of St. James's Church, long the fashionable church of the town, died in March, 1865.

Source

"A short struggle for stage or no stage; originating in a sermon preached by the Reverend Thomas Best." With a preface by Robert Mansel. Sheffield. 1818.

"A vindication of rational amusements". Hull. undated.

"Facts and comments being observations on the moral tendency of the stage "Worksop. 1819.

"A defence of the acted drama in a letter addressed to the Revd Thomas Best MA, of Sheffield" by F B Calvert (now of the Theatres Royal, York and Hull). Hull. 1822.

Source

ST JAMES'S

This building is at the end of St. James's-street, not far from the Parish Church. It was consecrated in 1789. The cost of the building was rather over £8,000, which was raised in £50 shares, each share entitling the holder to a pew as his freehold. In the east window there is a painting by Peckitt, executed in 1797, and representing the Crucifixion. The perpetual curacy, which is in gift of the Vicar of Sheffield, is held by the Rev. Thomas Best, M.A.

Pawson and Brailsford (1862)

Relevant extract only; This out of copyright material has been transcribed by Eric Youle, who has provided the transcription on condition that any further copying and distribution of the transcription is allowed only for noncommercial purposes, and includes this statement in its entirety. Any references to, or quotations from, this material should give credit to the original author(s) or editors.

Few Sheffield clergymen have been more highly respected and appreciated than Henry Henton Wright. He had been a curate at St. George's with William Mercer, and was, on the death of Thomas Best in 1865, appointed to the Vicarage of St. James's, where he remained until 1879, when he became Vicar of St. Silas's. Amiable and most sympathetic, he had the esteem and confidence of a wide circle of friends. He passed to his rest, after a distressing illness, in November, 1898, aged sixty-seven years, and was succeeded by Edmund Bonfellow, the first Vicar of St. Anne's, who died in 1908.

Odum

BEST, Rev. Thomas.

A short struggle for stage or no stage ; originating in a sermon, preached by the Reverend Thomas Best. 1818. [see

Mansel, Robert.]

" Facts but not comments ; " being strictures on the stage.

1819. [An answer to above. Ibid.]

A DEFENCE of the acted drama, in a letter addressed to the

Rev. Thomas Best, by F. B. Calvert (q.v.). 1822.

Two sermons on the subject of theatrical amusements, preached at Sheffield,

on Sunday, Nov. 2, 1823, by the Rev. T. Best

[sheffield: 1823.] Bvo. 4d.

THEATEICAL LITEEATURE. 21

Theatre versus conventicle; containing Mr. Calvert's letters to the Rev. T. Best. 1826. [see Oalvebt, F. B.]

Sermons on the amusements of the stage, preached at St.

James's Church, Sheffield, by the Rev. T. Best, A,M. Sheffield :

1 83 1. 8vo.

Theatrical amusements : a sermon preached by the Rev. Thomas Best

at St. James's Church, Sheffield, on Sunday, October 29, 1848. [sheffield : 1848.] i2mo.

Mr. Best also published a sermon on the same subject, preached November 16, 1851 ; and another, November 4, i860.

Sermons on theatrical amusements : delivered in St. James' Church, Sheffield. By the late Rev. Thomas Best, M.A., Oxon.

Edited by the Rev. R. E. Roberts, M.A., Rector of Richmond,

Yorkshire, and Rural Dean. London : 1865. 8vo.

Source

PUBLIC NOTICE

THE REV. E. R. TAYLOR is prepared to make Arrangements

to RECEIVE all those CHILDREN who have been left ORPHANS by

the late CATASTROPHE. They will be Fed, Clothed, and Educated.

Orphan House, Cherry Tree Hill, Sheffield.

Source

I am researching the history of the Cherrytree and the gentleman who started the orphanage was a Rev Edward Ridge Taylor. who I understand worked with the Rev. Thomas Best of St. James Church, Sheffield.

May be him, may not be - name is correct, year could be correct who knows. FYI only.

Oxford, June 7th 1823

Cherry Tree Orphanage, first located at Cherry Tree Hill, Sheffield, now occupies eligible premises on about 7 acres of freehold land at Totley, erected at a cost of £2,300, for 50 children of all denominations & from all parts of the British empire, who are admitted at from 5 to 10 years or age, the boys remaining until they are 14 & the girls till 16 years of age, when they are placed in suitable situations : a certificated teacher superintends the educational training & a matron is employed to prepare the girls for domestic service.

In 1886 a new wing was added at the south side, consisting of convalescent room or class room & a kitchen on the ground floor & two rooms on the first floor, the cost being defrayed by J. E. Bingham esq. of Sheffield: the Orphanage property, vested in trustees, is managed by a committee of Sheffield gentlemen, the household arrangements being conducted by a committee of ladies ; the institution is chiefly dependent on voluntary contributions; there are now 54 children.

Thomas Cole esq. J.P. chairman

George Franklin, hon. sec.

W. W. Harrison esq. treasurer;

Miss Sophia. Stronach, matron;

Miss Laura Read, governess ;

Miss Margaret Oakden, matron's assistant

Obviously later than Mrs Marshall is interested in ... but

I am researching the history of the Cherrytree.

'Cherrytree' began life in 1863 as an orphanage, it has throughout the years adapted its charitable purposes to providing accommodation and support to homeless young people between the ages of 16 and 21.

Site

Would like to read some of the research ...

Received by email

Mrs. M. Marshall.

PictureSheffield have E. P. Taylor ??

Cherrytree Orphanage, Mickley Lane, Totley. Founded in Sheffield about 1863 by E.P. Taylor, Esq. Foundation stone laid 21st August, 1867 by John Webster Esq., Mayor of Sheffield. Total cost £4,000.

1872 image

Just too late for Pawson and Brailsford then ...

The Cherrytree orphanage was moved to Brook Hall, at Totley,in 1866.

Source

1881 Census mentioned :

Sophia Stronach 30

Mary Macauley 32

Susannah Hoyland 42

Mary Alderson 16

Alice Wright 15

Alberta Bradley 16

Elizabeth Cheetham 10

John Wilks 13

Frederick Parker 12

William Hind 10

Thurza Dewsnap 11

Ann Eliza Furness 12

Charles Furness 9

Walter Deakin 9

Emily Wilde 12

Lucy Wilde 10

Eliza Saunders 12

Martha Hammerton 14

Laura Wildsmith 15

Elizabeth Wildsmith 9

Mary Ann Owen 15

Elizabeth Kay 8

Elizabeth Turner 9

Annie Brady 10

Mary Winrow 11

Camelia Barker 12

Emma Betts 8

Betsey Betts 12

Sarah Ann Betts 14

Elizabeth Hallam 5

Agnes Taylor 9

Luty Puckering 10

Florence Cooper 9

Edna Cooper 8

Eliza Stafford 7

Alice Ludbrook 6

Sarah Illingworth 12

Nellie Illingworth 4

Bertha Illingworth 7

Mary Puckering 8

Mary Eaglesfield 14

Elizabeth Eaglesfield 11

Adeline Booth 6

Annie Raynor 6

Amelia Binge 9

Martha Mason 9

Sarah Coupland 9

Gertrude Roebuck 13

Annie Roebuck 6

Edith White 7

Frank Laycock 6

Maggie Laycock 10

Image 2 of 3 failed to upload - will try later- done.

An Orphanage and a full set of residents, beautiful ... transcribed would be even better, any takers ?

I just found the details that Thomas Best submitted answering the enquiry sent to him for the 1851 Census of Religious Worship. He sounds a charming fellow:

2237 St. James' Church, Sheffield. Perpetual Curacy. Endowment: OPE (Other Permanent Endowment) Queen Anne's Bounty £34 Pew Rents, £120 Fees ,£5. Sittings Free none Other 750. Remarks: l have no place in my church for either the poorer classes, or schools. l have never taken the average attendance; and yesterday I attended church under the circumstances of severe family affliction. Signed Thomas Best, Incumbent. Sheffield.

[508/2I

Cherrytree Orphanage, Mickley Lane, Totley. Founded in Sheffield about 1863 by E.P. Taylor, Esq. Foundation stone laid 21st August, 1867 by John Webster Esq., Mayor of Sheffield. Total cost £4,000. 1872.

s07784.jpg.2a597d3f583fafe66411316809c2e993.jpgs07784

Picture taken from the 8th report, 1872. In 1868, Mr Taylor, transferred the property to trustees. The institution, which was supported by voluntary subscriptions and a Goverment grant, had for its objects the boarding, clothing, and education of poor children who had been deprived of both their parents, irrespective of religious belief ot nationality. Miss Stronach was matron in 1906.

Cherrytree Orphanage, Mickley Lane, Totley. 1963.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s35076&pos=2&action=zoom&id=70519

Cherrytree Homes, Mickley Laneu06868.jpg.a4ddd0149c5e9b96778d63cd7726c534.jpgu06868

Buildings used to house 1 carer and around 6 children, built around 1969. Once completed the original Cherrytree orphanage was subsequently turned into an old peoples home (Information care of Sharon Parkinson).

Presentation to Cherrytree Orphanage, Mickley Lane. 14th February 1967. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s07784&pos=5&action=zoom&id=11019

OS Map dated 1935, showing Cherrytree Orphanage & St George's Farm, one time home of John Ruskin. 

y12786.jpg.b63d9586eb02feeb4f232ab263ebcf96.jpgy12786

Cherrytree Orphanage, Mickley Lane, became a Leonard Cheshire care homre

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 16-14-32 Google Maps.png

• Thanks 1