Ancestor William Fisher

Guest brand2hall

Guest brand2hall

I am researching my family tree, but have become stuck on my ancestor William Fisher born about 1850 died January 1881. He married Eliza Hannah Hepworth who's parents were hatters in the St. Phillips area of Sheffield - they came from Oldham, Lancs. William is buried in the General Cemetery at Nether Edge - the graves gone now, but his wife was registered in their records when he was buried. They lived in the St. Phillips area when they married, his dad was called Richard he was a 'Carter' (possibly on a Farm). William was a 'Turner' when they married in 1873, there is a William Fisher stationed at Hillsborough Barracks in 1871 (that says St. Phillips area). I can't find who he definately is as there are many William Fishers and he was never on a census with his wife, he was my Great Grandfather, does anyone know anything of him please. Joyce Hall

I am researching my family tree, but have become stuck on my ancestor William Fisher born about 1850 died January 1881. He married Eliza Hannah Hepworth who's parents were hatters in the St. Phillips area of Sheffield - they came from Oldham, Lancs. William is buried in the General Cemetery at Nether Edge - the graves gone now, but his wife was registered in their records when he was buried. They lived in the St. Phillips area when they married, his dad was called Richard he was a 'Carter' (possibly on a Farm). William was a 'Turner' when they married in 1873, there is a William Fisher stationed at Hillsborough Barracks in 1871 (that says St. Phillips area). I can't find who he definately is as there are many William Fishers and he was never on a census with his wife, he was my Great Grandfather, does anyone know anything of him please. Joyce Hall

Hello and Welcome to the Site Brand2hall.

For discussion/just my opinion.

I'm surprised the Barracks would be classed as St. Philips (note the single "l" in Philips)

I'd say Hillsborough/Owlerton.

Comments anyone please.

Hello and Welcome to the Site Brand2hall.

For discussion/just my opinion.

I'm surprised the Barracks would be classed as St. Philips (note the single "l" in Philips)

I'd say Hillsborough/Owlerton.

Comments anyone please.

Tthe parish of St John's Owlerton was established in 1876, having been carved out of St Philip's Parish, so Joyce is right, Hillsborough Barracks would have been in St Philip's Parish at the date she quotes.

Tthe parish of St John's Owlerton was established in 1876, having been carved out of St Philip's Parish, so Joyce is right, Hillsborough Barracks would have been in St Philip's Parish at the date she quotes.

A concise and informative correction there Bayleaf.

Thank you.