Meersbrook Walled Garden

RichardB

No, never heard of it - has anyone else please ?

and what are the other seven ??

Arthur Lismer, who was a founder member of Heeley Art Club,

moved to Canada and joined a group of artists known as the 'Toronto Seven'

also referred to as the 'Other Seven'

No, never heard of it - has anyone else please ?

and what are the other seven ??

My guess is that the 'Walled Garden'

was in the grounds of Meersbrook House (Meersbrook Park)

I know that Charles Dixon reckoned the shrubbery in Meersbrook Park was a wonderful place for birdwatching. (Not exactly sure where it was in the park) Thanks to the Meersbrook Park Users the walled garden is still there and the glass houses. I seem to remember there was an artist who lived on the estate for a while, before it was a public park.

Is this the walled garden - to the left of Meersbrook House ?

Named as 'Nursery' on the 1950's OS map.

I have yet to go inside the walled garden (restricted opening times),

but I have poked my camera through one or two orifices ..

The main gate/entrance, situated in the east wall;

The east wall and an old doorway to the garden ..

The north wall.

Looking through the gates, at the north wall and then towards the west ..

Peeping through the old door ..

Unfortunately you have missed the Mothers Day opening of the garden but it is open on Easter Sunday 24th April for an Easter egg hunt. There is a big party there on the 5th June too. So maybe you can go one of those days and take pictures inside.

Unfortunately you have missed the Mothers Day opening of the garden but it is open on Easter Sunday 24th April for an Easter egg hunt. There is a big party there on the 5th June too. So maybe you can go one of those days and take pictures inside.

Thank you duckweed,

I will have to take wander up there on the 24th, weather permitting.

Thank you duckweed,

I will have to take wander up there on the 24th, weather permitting.

Us non-locals will appreciate an update Steve ...

It really is amazing these days. I remember Sheffield Nature Watch used to use what was really a shed there. The greenhouses were overgrown and much of the glass broken. Now it is a proper garden and the greenhouses back in use. They have art classes there sometimes to draw the plants. Also other events like lessons on gardening, use of herbs and plant dyes, all sorts of things.

I would like to say thank you to all concerned in the organisation of today's events in the Meersbrook Walled Garden.

This was my first ever visit inside the walls, and it will not be me my last.

The gardens do not cover a huge area but are well layed out, concealed in the maze of walkways there is something new to catch the eye at the turn of each corner and sometimes it's like taking a step back in time.

Here here steve.

Mrs vox and me will be going again next time it's open.

Did you notice this little door hidden away ?

Here here steve.

Here here steve.

Whereabouts is the door. There appears to be an entrance to it on Derbyshire Lane which is not used. Seem to remember there was a big dispute with the adjoining land owner when Meersbrook Park was formed about right of way for one of the entrances.

5th June is next major event 1 pm-5pm. They often have a great little jazz band when I've been, plus some great food.

They are setting up a museum of gardening. Some really wierd and wonderful tools. Some of them were made in Norton. Problem at the moment is they only have a large portocabin and the walls are too thin to put a rack onto. Any ideas how they could show the tools to their best advantage?

They are also growing some of the older varieties of plants in one of the greenhouses. I hope this develops as I can see it growing into an even better place than it is now, keeping alive some of the old gardening skills of the Victorian gardeners.

Whereabouts is the door. There appears to be an entrance to it on Derbyshire Lane which is not used. Seem to remember there was a big dispute with the adjoining land owner when Meersbrook Park was formed about right of way for one of the entrances.

It isn't an entrance size door duckweed, only about 3ft x 2ft" and i don't think it goes through the wall.

Best I can remember is that it is about here in this diagram.

It isn't an entrance size door duckweed, only about 3ft x 2ft" and i don't think it goes through the wall.

Maybe its where the coal deliveries came in?

Yes on the west wall, this could be it shown on a 1904 map.

The old doorway in the north west corner, (west wall)

Doorway in the north east corner, (east wall)

Here is the former Derbyshire Lane entrance,

now bricked up (south wall).

Maybe its where the coal deliveries came in?

Or a bunker where the coal is stored.

Vox indicates that the door does not go through the wall but just into it.

The door seems to have a keyhole for a lock just below the handle so it would make a nice secure little cubby hole.

I was once told by a lady at Traditional Heritage Museum on Eccelsall Rd that she believed the garden was part of the Cliffe Field House estate. Think that the house was about the junction of Derbyshire Ln and Cliffefield Rd