Warby Family Of Sheffield

Guest Joanne Warby

Guest Joanne Warby

I have been researching my husbands WARBY family. They migrated north from the Enfield/Tottenham districts up into the Midlands. The Warby's were grocers and Provision Dealer's in Brierley Hill. Some of the family members went to Sheffield and traded there as grocer's and dealer's. I would like to hear from anyone who might have old photograph's of the grocer's shops the Warby family may have run. Deptor's reports say the WARBY BROS (list's the Warby family members as being Percy, John, Thomas Lawson, Benjamin & William) had premises in 15 Bents Green Road, Sheffiled - 24-26 Burgess Street, Sheffield - 145 Broomhill Street, Sheffiled, 106 Barker's Pool, Fargate - 155 London Road, Sheffiled & 29 Falmouth Road, Sheffield . Does anyone have pictures of these addresses old or how they look today? The family also ran business's in Eccleshall Brierlow so any help with locations there would also be appreciated.

If anyone knows of WARBY family decendants it would also be great to hear from them. I love to 'side' research also so spouses family information is also greatly appreciated.

A few of the people I would love further information on: Marriages, burials, photographs, dates etc

Robert Warby had a daughter mary Ann Warby b.1859 Clerkenwell who married her cousin John Henry Warby b. 1856 Tottenham (son of benjamin Warby & Emma Elizabeth Kennedy). They had children: Percival b.1883 Sheffield, Elizabeth b.1887 Sheffield, George Edward b.1892 Sheffield, Sidney(Sydney) harold b.1895 Sheffiled, John b.1881 Sheffield & Lawson Thomas b.1882 Sheffiled.

Mary Ann Warby's brother Thomas Lawson Warby b. 1871 Brierley Hill, staffordshire d. 1935 Sheffiled married Annie maria Baker b.1872 Heeley, Derbyshire d.1959 Sheffiled. They had children: Edward Cyril b.1898 Sheffiled d.1977, John (Jack), Edna & Charles Ronald who married Vera. I know Charles and Vera had a daughter Linda who married a Harry. if anyone has more dates etc and especially photographs of any of these family members it would be a very welcome addition to the WARBY family tree.

The BARKER family consists of: Unknown father had Henry Barker who married Eliza and they had children George 1874 Sheffield, Sarah Ann 1876 Sheffiled & Edith 1878 Sheffield. Henry had a brother Frederick who had the above mentioned Annie Maria. Frederick was married to a mary Ann Unknown. They also had children, Frederick 1863, Harry 1877, Austin 1878, Charles W 1865 & Sarah harriet 1879. If anyone knows anything about any of the BARKER family I would be grateful if they could enlighten me of some of their marriages, children, dates or burial places.

Best wishes Joanne Warby

John Warby Debtor.pdf

Benjamin Warby Grocer 145 Broomhall Street

John Warby Provision Dealer (Warby Bros.) 106 Barker's Pool, Fargate & 155 London Road

Lawson Thomas Warby Provision Dealer 81 Langsett Road

William Warby Provision Dealer (Warby Bros.) 106 Barker's Pool, Fargate & 155 London Road

Benjamin Warby Grocer 243 Crookes

John Warby Provision Dealer h. 76 Sharrow Street

Lawson T Warby Grocer 726-728 Ecclesall Road

Lawson Thomas Warby Provision Merchant 81 Langsett Road

William Warby Provision Dealer (Warby Brothers) 76 Sharrow Street

John Warby Grocer (Warby Bros.) h. 9 Fossdale Road

Lawson T Warby Grocer 81 Langsett Road & 38 Norris Road, Hillsborough

Percy Warby Manager 18 Witney Street

William Warby Grocer (Warby Bros.) h. 9 Fossdale Road

Mrs Annie M Warby Householder 38 Norris Road, Hillsborough

Miss Clara Warby Grocer 726-728 Ecclesall Road

John Warby Grocer ( Warby Brothers) h. 9 Fossdale Road

Lawson T Warby 38 Norris Road, Hillsborough

Percy Warby Grocer ( Warby Brothers) h. 7 Ecclesall Road South, Ecclesall

William Warby Grocer ( Warby Brothers) h. 76 Sharrow Street

Warby Grocers (Warby Brothers) 155 London Road; 106 Barker's Pool & 9 Fossdale Road

Mrs Annie M Warby 38 Norris Road, Hillsborough

Miss Clara Warby Grocer 726-728 Ecclesall Road

John Warby Grocer (Warby Bros.) h. 9 Fossdale Road

Percy Warby Grocer (Warby Bros.) h. 155 London Road

William Warby Grocer (Warby Bros.) h. 76 Sharrow Street

Warby Grocers (Brothers) 155 London Road; 24 & 26 Burgess Street & 9 Fossdale Road

106 Barker's Pool, Fargate

On here somewhere.

Corner of Barkers Pool and Pool Square, 1915-1925, Nos 102-114, Barkers Pool, White Lion Hotel (No 112) and Hoyland's Piano Showroom (No 114), extreme left.

Aha ! So you were the competition.

My gt granddad's grocery shop was across the road at number 156. (1911 - census - greengrocer)

I've risked a small crop, from a larger image onPicturesheffield, to illustrate how close they were.

(Other mods - delete it if you think it's iffy.)

The foreground was my gt granddad's shop at 156, next to the corner. The other arrow is where I think 145 is.

Here is the full picture on Picture Sheffield

Complete map - OS Map 272

Hi

My Great Uncle was in the Sheffield Bys Working Home and when he left aged 14yrs in 1898 the Warbys gave him a start as a Delivery Boy.

I know this isn't much information but at least it shows the Warby's gave the boy a start in earning a living.

PopT