My Top Five

RichardB

Queens Hotel, Scotland Street - believe it or not the only Pub whose Landlord I can name - Good Old Vernon Hookway.

Raven - Fitzwilliam Street

Saddle - West Street

Moseley's - West Bar

Grapes - Trippet Lane

These were not my "Locals" just my favourites.

and one from History, just based on the name

The Warm Hearthstone - Division Street.

Make your own rules - post yours up.

Make your own rules - post yours up.

Must be a lot of teetotallers on SH !!

1. Mulberry Tavern (unbeatable atmosphere)

2. Cannon Hall, Firvale (the local)

3. Shakespeare, West Bar (best mate, great memories)

4. Tolgate Inn, Burngreave (barmaid still remembered us after 5 years)

5. Beehive Hotel, S6 (bike + bird, now wife)

1. The Ball, Ecclesfied - Youthful/Underage 1970s

2. Cannon Hall, Firvale - Local a couple of times 1970s & 1980s

3. Hornblower, Town - Looked like the inside of a ship! 1980s

4. Stonehouse, Town - Looked like it was outside when inside even though you weren't 1970s/1980s

5. Kelham Island - Now one of the few left with any atmosphere - 2000s

2 From History I'd like to have visited

River Don, Brightside Lane (to bump into my great grandad and his horse and cart who knew its own way home)

& Who Can Tell, Grimesthorpe (another 2 sets of great grandparents lived a few doors away)

1. The Ball, Ecclesfied - Youthful/Underage 1970s

2. Cannon Hall, Firvale - Local a couple of times 1970s & 1980s

3. Hornblower, Town - Looked like the inside of a ship! 1980s

4. Stonehouse, Town - Looked like it was outside when inside even though you weren't 1970s/1980s

5. Kelham Island - Now one of the few left with any atmosphere - 2000s

2 From History I'd like to have visited

River Don, Brightside Lane (to bump into my great grandad and his horse and cart who knew its own way home)

& Who Can Tell, Grimesthorpe (another 2 sets of great grandparents lived a few doors away)

You traitor !!! :)

Your Hornblower used to be my Raven !!!! Much preferred the Raven, painted green inside and with a glass roof - like drinking inside a gymnasium - I think there might have been boxing matches there way in the past. Oh, and the Lady serving obviously had had an interesting life as a Manglewoman/Buffer-girl or whatever trade - with all those missing bits of finger.

Must be a lot of teetotallers on SH !!

1. Mulberry Tavern (unbeatable atmosphere)

2. Cannon Hall, Firvale (the local)

3. Shakespeare, West Bar (best mate, great memories)

4. Tolgate Inn, Burngreave (barmaid still remembered us after 5 years)

5. Beehive Hotel, S6 (bike + bird, now wife)

I'm afraid the Beehive, Dykes Hall Road, is one of the latest pubs to bite the dust.

When I went past recently it was all shut up with fencing and skips across the front and appeared to be being gutted.

When I was a little lad my grandad used to send me down to the little off-sales with a jug for a pint of stout. I was provided with a tea-towel to hide the jug "in case the bobby sees you".

HD

You get nostalgic when you're old don't you, so mine are from a long time ago.

1960's - Birley Hotel - Bands at the weekends, fish and chips across the road and a long walk home.

1960's - Old Harrow, Gleadless - All blacked out inside with luminous paintings and ultra-violet lights. (Very new in those days.)

1970's - Raven - Dinner time and after work at Surmanco down the road.

1970's - Princess Royal, Slinn Street, - Snooker on the 3/4 table. Early before the "proffesionals" came in.

Now - The Barracks, which is my favourite "proper pub" nowadays.

My list of pubs (some of them long gone).

1. The (old) Admiral Rodney, Loxley. My fathers 1950's local and where I spent many happy hours sat outside drinking Vimto and eating Paynes Poppits. I was also invited to the Christmas Night party in the private quarters a couple of times.

2. The Haychatters (now a private house). My fathers summer weekend local where I spent many happy hours sat outside drinking Vimto and eating crisps.

3. The Lord Nelson, Luddenden. Where I spent many teenage hours getting slowly kaleyed on Websters Ales before returning very unsteadily with my mates to our annual campsite in Luddenden Dean.

4. The Fighting Cock, Bircotes. Which I only visited once and where I supped a couple of pints of the finest beer I have ever drunk in my life. The beer was Sam Smiths Bitter, a beer normally best avoided.

5. The Cobden View Hotel, Crookes. Which in the 1970's, 1980's, was a very pleasant family pub full of interesting characters.

And I still like Vimto !

HD

You traitor !!! :)

Your Hornblower used to be my Raven !!!! Much preferred the Raven, painted green inside and with a glass roof - like drinking inside a gymnasium - I think there might have been boxing matches there way in the past. Oh, and the Lady serving obviously had had an interesting life as a Manglewoman/Buffer-girl or whatever trade - with all those missing bits of finger.

The Raven seems to be a favourite.

I have memories of the Raven too, I use to go and meet by boyfriend there after

he'd been weight training upstairs in the gym.

He was very friendly with the landlord at the time who was called lol who had a wooden leg.

He told me they called him lol because he had to lol on the bar , having a wooden leg. he he:rolleyes:

I've not experienced this before but I can't spell the shortened word for Laurence without the smiley face appearing.

Well you know what I mean anyway.

He was very friendly with the landlord at the time who was called lol who had a wooden leg.

He told me they called him lol because he had to lol on the bar , having a wooden leg. he he:rolleyes:

I've not experienced this before but I can't spell the shortened word for Laurence without the smiley face appearing.

That's because L.O.L. without the dots is the word that produces the smiley face.

Having been on the boards for a while (13 years), I've known stranger things like getting repeatedly kicked out of a friendly chat room for saying :

Fletwood Mac Little Lies was a great song.

Took a while to word it out ... (answer only available via PM)

Just disable emoticons, in 'post options'

Raven - Fitzwilliam Street

Thomas Powell, but no Census image found.

It's not this man from Hill Foot.

Sheffield History housepoint available here Folks ! (He says trying to sound generous).

That's because L.O.L. without the dots is the word that produces the smiley face.

Having been on the boards for a while (13 years), I've known stranger things like getting repeatedly kicked out of a friendly chat room for saying :

Fletwood Mac Little Lies was a great song.

Took a while to word it out ... (answer only available via PM)

Well I know about the lol but I never put the dots because that wouldn't have spelt . . .

wait for it. ..... the short name for Laurence. lollollollollol lol

Well I know about the lol but I never put the dots because that wouldn't have spelt . . .

wait for it. ..... the short name for Laurence. lollollollollollol

I could see you were posting UKL and I was going as fast as I could - but you got one right in the middle of my "stuff" - Census posts for all the Pubs, now that gives me an idea ... I can think of one old member who would have been laughing and crying into his beer at the same time just at me mentioning that.

Out of all the years from 1833 to 1922 I could only find one entry for the Raven,

that was 1859 George Haywood.

I saw the 1841 Hillfoot but dismissed it as not being the same one :huh:

I wonder why there are no entries?

Out of all the years from 1833 to 1922 I could only find one entry for the Raven,

that was 1859 George Haywood.

I saw the 1841 Hillfoot but dismissed it as not being the same one :huh:

I wonder why there are no entries?

Was there a cost involved in a Trade Directory entry ?

If they were busy they might have decided it wasn't worth the cost.

Just a thought.

Plenty of Census data, so it existed, also wondering why no Trade Directory entries.

Was there a cost involved in a Trade Directory entry ?

If they were busy they might have decided it wasn't worth the cost.

Just a thought.

Plenty of Census data, so it existed, also wondering why no Trade Directory entries.

I don't know about that, I've found it with a few pubs. I can understand the pubs in the suburban

areas but being central I would have thought them to be listed. <_<

Having just posted the only date I've got under Keepers, I noticed that most of the dates had

beerhouse in brackets.

So probably it came under beerhouse rather than pub.

Guest Duke of Darnall

1. Tap & Spile, Waingate - A regular meeting place throughout the nineties. Got to love real ale here.

2. Hallamshire Hotel, West Street - some good nights in here. Our band made it's debut

3. Excelsior, Carbrook Street - one of me Dad's haunts. Went down for the closing party in 1993.

4. Fat Cat, Alma Street - Had some great times in here. Never take it for granted.

5. Gardeners Rest - Neepsend Lane - Top backstreet boozer. Great to see it back in such top form.

Pubs I missed out on: Golden Ball at Attercliffe in it's heyday. Darnall's lost pubs - The New Inn and Old Cricket Ground.