Oaks Norton

duckweed

Does anyone know where I can see an old guidebook to the Oaks. I have heard there was one with several photos in. Would there be a copy in local studies?

Does anyone know where I can see an old guidebook to the Oaks. I have heard there was one with several photos in. Would there be a copy in local studies?

Is this the one?

The Oakes, (also known as Oakes Park), Norton, Sheffield : [for sale by] Oates

Oates

Pub date:[1994].Pages:[8p]. :Item info:2 copies available at Local Studies Library.

or this?

Oakes Park, Sheffield : the historic home of the Bagshaw family since the year 1699

Bagshawe, Hilary

Publisher:English Life Publications,Pub date:1976.Pages:[15p]. :Item info:2 copies available at Local Studies Library.

Oakes Park, Sheffield : the historic home of the Bagshaw family since the year 1699

Bagshawe, Hilary

Publisher:English Life Publications,Pub date:1976.Pages:[15p]. :Item info:2 copies available at Local Studies Library.

My family history senses are tingling! I thought I recognised the name Bagshaw and after consulting the family tree turns out I'm a descendant of the Bagshaws... Thanks for posting, another line for me to look in to!

JP

Thanks. I picked up an old thread from Sheffield Forum about someone who mentioned they had a guide book with interior shots of the house. Its was several years ago so no point in asking them.

Hi,

I realise our post was over a year ago but I've only just seen it, so I wondered if you managed to locate a copy of the guide book. I have a copy.

I have seen one in the Library. I have actually had an interesting email from the Bagshawes about certain contents of what was their house. But If you could scan any interior photos That would be lovely. I looked on the website for the House now and nothing is visible now.

The house is now a children's Christian holiday centre... http://www.oakes.org.uk/ I live in one of the converted stables behind the house!

Those are all the photos. None of the tapestries are actually named. The dining room is the colour photo and in the dining room info it says... 'All the tapestries are of a mixture of Mortlake and Arras and there is a tradition that these originally decorated the rooms of Sheffield Castle. They were brought to The Oakes by Captain Edward Gill, who was governor of the castle in 1645 and 1646. just prior to its demolition.' Don't know if that helps.

Fantastic photos. Is there one of a Tapestry listed as Castle Tapestry?

I've got a picture in my collection of that. Don't know what it comes from though :unsure:

Turns out I had the "correct document skew" on when scanning it! Which is why the above picture is bent in the other post. It was straight to begin with so it made it bent :blink: he he

Exceptional. Thank you.

Those are all the photos. None of the tapestries are actually named. The dining room is the colour photo and in the dining room info it says... 'All the tapestries are of a mixture of Mortlake and Arras and there is a tradition that these originally decorated the rooms of Sheffield Castle. They were brought to The Oakes by Captain Edward Gill, who was governor of the castle in 1645 and 1646. just prior to its demolition.' Don't know if that helps.

I wonder if that photo is the other end of the dining room. Only saying that because the chair on the bottom left of the photo matches the dining room chairs!

Thanks for all the information. I was not aware that there was more than one. I saw a guide book which was all in black and white and had a very blurry picture and said castle tapestry

And I've only seen this one with the two colour photos... the front cover and the dining room! Published in 1976.

The one I saw was a black and white booklet written by one of the Bagshaws, and has a photo of a tapestry hanging on the wall and someone standing by it, It is a fairly small tapestry as tapestries go. It doesn't go from ceiling to floor. Under the photo it said Castle Tapestry so cannot be the same. book

I have now been given some old photos but they aren't particularily good to show the tapestries. Apparently there were several tapestries attributed to Sheffield Castle and were only about 20-30 years old when Edward Gill "acquired" them. I wonder if any other local old houses had such acquisitions in them. I know Colonel John Bright took a lot of timber from the Castle wonder if it went to Carbrook Hall.

Bishops House we know has plasterwork and wood in it from the castle. A lot was taken from the castle at the time to build the Grammar School. What happened to all that when the Grammar school was knocked down.

There is also the tale of the Talbots bed that came up for sale in the 1920s but the council refused to buy it wonder where it went.