Alderney Cow Beerhouse

RichardB

Recently off the phone with Trefcon, he reminded me of a beerhouse missing from our lists (he mentioned it a long time ago when we met in person).

So the hunt is on for the "Alderney Cow" beerhouse, Moonshine Lane or thereabouts, year(s) not known. May be mentioned on the back of an Alan Godfrey map of the area.

Keepers/location sought.

Happy Hunting.

Guest Trefcon

Hi Richard, its in with the local history blurb on the Sheffield (Hillsborough) 1902 Sheet 288.15 map by Godfrey.

'At Southey Green can be seen the Traveller's Rest, described by the local historian Henry Tatton as the only pub in Sheffield lit by paraffin lamps, and opposite was a beerhouse with the splendid name of the Alderney Cow'

Dean.

Guest Trefcon

I cant believe that, i've looked at that map over the years, spotted the 'Travellers' all the time but never spotted the words 'Alderney Cow' !!

There is an old stone building right on the corner, now a carpet shop, i wonder if that was it ?

Two Publicans in the area,Elijah Staniforth-according to historical directories at the Travellers Inn, backed up by 1851 census, 2335-319-no pub name

William Badger publican on 1851 census, 2335-318- no pub name

both under Southey.

Bill Badger, Ruperts mate lol

I cant believe that, i've looked at that map over the years, spotted the 'Travellers' all the time but never spotted the words 'Alderney Cow' !!

There is an old stone building right on the corner, now a carpet shop, i wonder if that was it ?

<iframe width="562" height="314" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.41848,-1.480636&amp;panoid=Rwp72eilPb4jfhCfbEOMwg&amp;cbp=13,117.68,,1,-3.42&amp;ll=53.416923,-1.480633&amp;spn=0,0.00603&amp;z=17&amp;source=embed&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=53.41848,-1.480636&amp;panoid=Rwp72eilPb4jfhCfbEOMwg&amp;cbp=13,117.68,,1,-3.42&amp;ll=53.416923,-1.480633&amp;spn=0,0.00603&amp;z=17&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Is the Travellers the one I have listed as

"Southy, Wadsley Bridge" please ?

Can't see it being any of the other possibilities.

Snig Hill

Southy, Wadsley Bridge

Thompson Hill, High Green

286 Ecclesfield Common

Deepcar

208 High Street, Attercliffe

72 Penistone Road, Wadsley Bridge

784 Attercliffe Road

82 Newhall Street

Broomhill

Oxspring

Wharncliffe Side

67 Scotland Street

Vaughton Hill, Stocksbridge

106 Broad Street

135 South Street, Moor

406 Langsett Road, S6,

426 Langsett Road

Brightside

535 City Road, S

293 Langsett Road South, Oughtibridge

Cricket Road

Deep Pits, Intake

Two Publicans in the area,Elijah Staniforth-according to historical directories at the Travellers Inn, backed up by 1851 census, 2335-319-no pub name

William Badger publican on 1851 census, 2335-318- no pub name

both under Southey.

Bill Badger, Ruperts mate lol

I have Elijah Staniforth down on my list at Travellers, Southy, Wadsley Bridge in 1854 (just for everyone's information) also "E Staniforth" in 1865 - best get looking at 1861 census then.

1851 Census would push back known opening date by 3 years.

Plenty of known keepers if it helps, I can list what I've got for Travellers (40 or so keepers- over the years)

I have Elijah Staniforth down on my list at Travellers, Southy, Wadsley Bridge in 1854 (just for everyone's information) also "E Staniforth" in 1865 - best get looking at 1861 census then.

Plenty of known keepers if it helps, I can list what I've got for Travellers (40 or so keepers- over the years)

Picture Sheffield

Ref No:s07049

Title: Travellers' Rest, Southey Green Road

Some Census images which may, or may not, be relevant sent to Steve via email.

There you go Rich down the bottom Brewster Sessions 7 September 1844

A Badger in a Cow!

A Badger in a Cow!

And refused on 21-7-1844

Southey's always been a bit rough then

Some Census images which may, or may not, be relevant sent to Steve via email.

Elijah Staniforth 1861 census, Mary (wife) ???? and Publican, Southey Green.

Essabella (?) (Widow) Naylor, Inn keeper - unknown

Elizabeth Staniland (Widow), Inn keeper - unknown

William Hammond, Son, 35, Furniss man then ??? Inn ???

Appears to by Southy, pub not known

=============================================================

George Turner - pushes this back from 1854

A Badger in a Cow!

By George, you've cracked it ! :rolleyes:

A persons name, a date, a premises name and a date - we've got ourselves a new (old) one !

Well done all !

Guest Trefcon

Just to add for interest, just got back from LocaL Studies and they had nowt on the 'Alderney Cow', found a mention of the 'Travellers' though, in the late twenties early thirties the landlord transferred his license to the newly built Magnet across the road.

Dean.

Guest Trefcon

Another one.

There was a beerhouse located in one of the 'Pear Tree Cottages.' These were on the small lane leading to Shire Green Chuch School at the top of Bellhouse road. I'm sure there was an image of the cottage and owners in one of the 'Shiregreen' books. (Dunsby might have these).

Looks like the cottages were there in 1902, re Godfrey Longley Sheet 288.16

Another one.

There was a beerhouse located in one of the 'Pear Tree Cottages.' These were on the small lane leading to Shire Green Chuch School at the top of Bellhouse road. I'm sure there was an image of the cottage and owners in one of the 'Shiregreen' books. (Dunsby might have these).

Looks like the cottages were there in 1902, re Godfrey Longley Sheet 288.16

Yes Dean there is - No 4 Pear Tree Cottages on Pear Tree Lane in front of the school and the Co-op Laundry- can't see reference to a name or a keeper though.

Fork Making at Shiregreen Pear Tree Lane mentioned here, possible leads regarding street names/people ...

From Sheffield Indexers site (Elaine from Sheffield Indexers has recently been in touch (via email), we used to banter a bit online at Sheffield Indexers some years ago; nice to hear from her again - maybe we can help each other along; I've sent a link to the Sheffield Scrapbook for her amusement).

Come on then Richard , share the rest of the known keepers with us

because we only have twenty something on the A to Z. :)