Shepherd Wheel And Forge Dam Updates.

Bayleaf

Shepherd Wheel

All that remains to be done is the restoration of the actual wheel and the internal machinery, external landscaping to allow disabled access, and the construction of a new toilet and shelter block .

The contract for the wheel and machinery has been agreed and work should start at the end of February and take approximately three months. The official opening will be carried out in the autumn.

NB There will be a guided walk and update on the restoration at the Wheel on Saturday 19th March, 1-3pm with Ranger Tom Newman

Forge Dam

Following a public consultation on what people would like to be done with the badly silted-up dam, consultants have now been appointed to work up the options for repairs to the dam and its surrounding landscape. The results will then be scrutinised and further consultations carried out.

Shepherd Wheel

All that remains to be done is the restoration of the actual wheel and the internal machinery, external landscaping to allow disabled access, and the construction of a new toilet and shelter block .

The contract for the wheel and machinery has been agreed and work should start at the end of February and take approximately three months. The official opening will be carried out in the autumn.

Forge Dam

Following a public consultation on what people would like to be done with the badly silted-up dam, consultants have now been appointed to work up the options for repairs to the dam and its surrounding landscape. The results will then be scrutinised and further consultations carried out.

I am looking forward to this being open again I've tried to attach my photo from about 22 years ago Hope you can see it.

Just realised I haven't updated this for a while.

The restoration of the building, wheel and machinery is complete, and has had a successsful test run.

The remaining work is the construction of a building at the rear for visiting classes/groups, and the provision of disabled access to it and to the wheel.

I took these photos yesterday in the pouring rain! They've done a nice bit of new walling and managed to incorporate an old grindstone.

If you look closely at the building work you may notice that the timbers are all properly jointed, and fastened with wooden pegs, in keeping with the old buildings.

Work is going on in parallel to provide information boards, educational material, and scripts for the volunteers who will be opening the mill at weekends.

You're right it has gone quiet Mike. The Friends of the Porter Valley have now switched the fundraising from Shepherd Wheel to Forge Dam. The fund is building up thanks in part to the recent Fulwood Chapel’s Open History days, and from collections at the Café. The proposal is at present grinding its way through the Council. In the meantime the Friends have offered £2,500 towards the cost of an essential Reservoir survey, and have a working group carrying out minor work to benches etc. There is now a formal steering group on which the Friends have a couple of members. I rather suspect things will be either very slow or put on hold because of the financial crisis.