Wheel At Loxley

duckweed

I have looked at will of William Blythe 1665 He has a number of grindstones at the Wheel in Loxley. Presumably he was grinding scythes there. But where would the wheel be exactly? Any ideas?

I have looked at will of William Blythe 1665 He has a number of grindstones at the Wheel in Loxley. Presumably he was grinding scythes there. But where would the wheel be exactly? Any ideas?

It might be possible to narrow it down. According to the Water Power book, referring to the Loxley;

"until 1700, the wheels were scattered: the wheel at Ashton Carr was built in 1549, and Slack Wheel and the wheel at the foot of Storrs Brook were in existence by 1700, but their dates of origin are uncertain. Also not satisfactorily identified is the wheel held by Gilbert Oates in 1639-40, followed by Mr Copley from 1641 in the vicinity of Malin Bridge."

Loxley old Wheel (or Loxley Plane Wheel) has an earliest reference dating back to 1690, when it was rented to William Ibbotson and John Dungworth. Elsewhere these two were named as the builders of the wheel, so 1690 would seem to be the date it was first in use.

Ashton Carr appears to have burned down in 1664,and in 1688 was described as 'ruined and not worth repaireing'.

'There is a reference to 3 cutler wheels in Wisewood in 1531, which were probably at the site of the later Wisewood Scythe Wheels or immediately downstream, and in 1580 to 'le Southwhele'.

There are 4 scythe wheels in Wisewood named in the will of Edward Barber in 1664 and in the sale by his executors to George Bamforth in 1672 and while there is no direct link, there is a strong presumption that these latter were the 2 Wisewood sites, 2 wheels at each.'

The Slack Wheels would be in existence well before the 1660's,but around 1660 it was noted in a valuation that the wheels were 'to be put in repaire'.

It might be possible to narrow it down. According to the Water Power book, referring to the Loxley;

"until 1700, the wheels were scattered: the wheel at Ashton Carr was built in 1549, and Slack Wheel and the wheel at the foot of Storrs Brook were in existence by 1700, but their dates of origin are uncertain. Also not satisfactorily identified is the wheel held by Gilbert Oates in 1639-40, followed by Mr Copley from 1641 in the vicinity of Malin Bridge."

Loxley old Wheel (or Loxley Plane Wheel) has an earliest reference dating back to 1690, when it was rented to William Ibbotson and John Dungworth. Elsewhere these two were named as the builders of the wheel, so 1690 would seem to be the date it was first in use.

Ashton Carr appears to have burned down in 1664,and in 1688 was described as 'ruined and not worth repaireing'.

'There is a reference to 3 cutler wheels in Wisewood in 1531, which were probably at the site of the later Wisewood Scythe Wheels or immediately downstream, and in 1580 to 'le Southwhele'.

There are 4 scythe wheels in Wisewood named in the will of Edward Barber in 1664 and in the sale by his executors to George Bamforth in 1672 and while there is no direct link, there is a strong presumption that these latter were the 2 Wisewood sites, 2 wheels at each.'

The Slack Wheels would be in existence well before the 1660's,but around 1660 it was noted in a valuation that the wheels were 'to be put in repaire'.

Yes think I've got it. Listed in the list of people who owe money to him. Richard Ibbotson. Maybe Father of William Ibbitson?

Yes think I've got it. Listed in the list of people who owe money to him. Richard Ibbotson. Maybe Father of William Ibbitson?

But it looks as if Loxley Old Wheel was built around 1690, if that 's the one you had in mind. The Wisewood wheels are the only ones on the Loxley referred to as scythe wheels, and would appear to have been in existence at the time.

The name Ibbotson comes and goes through the centuries in connection with grinding wheels and scythe grinding, but William is the earliest referred to in the book, so who knows!

But it looks as if Loxley Old Wheel was built around 1690, if that 's the one you had in mind. The Wisewood wheels are the only ones on the Loxley referred to as scythe wheels, and would appear to have been in existence at the time.

The name Ibbotson comes and goes through the centuries in connection with grinding wheels and scythe grinding, but William is the earliest referred to in the book, so who knows!

It says earliest reference so may not be when it was built. Perhaps if we look at it in relation to Norton? They are actually a lot of names who owe him or who owe him.

It says earliest reference so may not be when it was built. Perhaps if we look at it in relation to Norton? They are actually a lot of names who owe him or who owe him.

What seems from what I've read is the Blythes had land in Bradfield but also were related to the Revells in Bradfield area who were related to the Ibbotsons. I suppose it could all just be a coincidence. I've learned in my research that given dates, unless backed up by documents of actually building plans including making the dam, have a habit of being proved wrong.

Not conclusive but a reasonable assumption?

Not conclusive but a reasonable assumption?

Do you know who it was rented from? It might help me find the rental records and eliminate this one from my enquiries.

Do you know who it was rented from? It might help me find the rental records and eliminate this one from my enquiries.

The 1690 reference is given as S147. Unfortunately the reference to them being the builders simply states " In a later Norfolk lease [they] were named as the builders of the wheel", but no document reference is given I'm afraid.