A Bit Sad.....

dunsbyowl1867

There you have it a life in an ebay bid - retire to Cornwall with no family and your early life, the memories and records you have kept carefully for 84 years are sold as "ephemera" on ebay. Who will inherit your "important papers'?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Photos-Ephemera-Sheffield-Boys-Sch-30s-K-H-Littlewood-/110634005030?pt=UK_Collectables_Paper_RL&hash=item19c24cf226

There you have it a life in an ebay bid - retire to Cornwall with no family and your early life, the memories and records you have kept carefully for 84 years are sold as "ephemera" on ebay. Who will inherit your "important papers'?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Photos-Ephemera-Sheffield-Boys-Sch-30s-K-H-Littlewood-/110634005030?pt=UK_Collectables_Paper_RL&hash=item19c24cf226

It's more than just a little bit sad.

Firstly, the persons family clearly do not want to keep items of their own family history (I would)

Secondly, these items represent someone life, - it's not a lot to leave behind as a record of your life is it?

Finally, Although they represent someones life the value placed on these items is only £24. Some people expect to pay more than that for a postcard!

When the infamous "Blitz Museum" on the top floor of Banners finally closed (and its loaned exhibits mysteriously disappeared) it became for a time an "antiques market".

It wasn't "antiques" at all it was merely old items that had come from house clearances, usually after an elderly person living alone had died.

The "antiques" had not even been sorted into categories and were grouped just by the property they had come from, so that one persons items were all together, - but were being sold off seperately.

The whole place had the same sadness about it, that these items represented someones life and at the end of the day that wasn't a lot.

It's more than just a little bit sad.

Firstly, the persons family clearly do not want to keep items of their own family history (I would)

Secondly, these items represent someone life, - it's not a lot to leave behind as a record of your life is it?

Finally, Although they represent someones life the value placed on these items is only £24. Some people expect to pay more than that for a postcard!

When the infamous "Blitz Museum" on the top floor of Banners finally closed (and its loaned exhibits mysteriously disappeared) it became for a time an "antiques market".

It wasn't "antiques" at all it was merely old items that had come from house clearances, usually after an elderly person living alone had died.

The "antiques" had not even been sorted into categories and were grouped just by the property they had come from, so that one persons items were all together, - but were being sold off seperately.

The whole place had the same sadness about it, that these items represented someones life and at the end of the day that wasn't a lot.

There you go Dave, for £24 you can keep this guys memories alive.

There you go Dave, for £24 you can keep this guys memories alive.

But that's why it's only £24

I didn't know this guy and neither did most people so his stuff has little value.

Surely the people that would value this stuff most are his relatives and people who knew him.

Unfortunately the word "value" seems to mean "money" to them and they chose to sell it off.

Some thing have a value beyond noney and cannot be measured in financial terms.

How much do you "value" your parents, wife, son, daughter, grandchildren?

That's not the sort of question you would answer with a sum a money no matter how large because "love" doesn't have a monetary value.

My wife sold her second hand 1978 mini for £300

John Lennon sold his second hand 1965 mini for £85,000

I wonder why?

It is pretty sad. But it's not unusual. In fact, I'd say that probably 9 out of every ten people would dispose of a loved one's stuff in some way. At least this stuff is going up for sale, so that other folks with a link to the school can pick it up and value it. Many times, this kind of stuff just gets trashed.

But still, it's sad that a family would not even value the photographs - and that they have no idea which of the kids in the photo is their relative.

It makes me angry, in that my own family's history has, I'm certain, been disposed of in the same callous manner. There are photos, documents and stories that are lost forever, due to apathy and a simple need to reduce clutter.

It is pretty sad. But it's not unusual. In fact, I'd say that probably 9 out of every ten people would dispose of a loved one's stuff in some way. At least this stuff is going up for sale, so that other folks with a link to the school can pick it up and value it. Many times, this kind of stuff just gets trashed.

But still, it's sad that a family would not even value the photographs - and that they have no idea which of the kids in the photo is their relative.

It makes me angry, in that my own family's history has, I'm certain, been disposed of in the same callous manner. There are photos, documents and stories that are lost forever, due to apathy and a simple need to reduce clutter.

Fully agree Beery,

It is better to sell the stuff for very little money so that an interested person can pick it up and at least it is then "preserved" rather than putting it in a bin, through a shredder or burning it.

But I still find it hard to see why a relative would want to lose some of this stuff which represents a part of their family history.

I know not all families are functional and some split up, fall out or don't speak to each other for years and that not everyone has the interest in family history that I do so my view is based on a happy family life and an interest in history.

May be why I see this kind of sale as sad.

Fully agree Beery,

But I still find it hard to see why a relative would want to lose some of this stuff which represents a part of their family history.

I don't see the bit which says he's a relative.

Perhapse the dead person died without known relatives.

Maybe the person selling the stuff has a House clearance business.

Having done that work I can tell you that it isn't uncommon.

I don't see the bit which says he's a relative.

Perhapse the dead person died without known relatives.

Maybe the person selling the stuff has a House clearance business.

Having done that work I can tell you that it isn't uncommon.

It doesn't say it's a relative.

However, the seller "wackywitchinpurple" is probably female with a name like that and the only other things she is currently selling are girls annuals (Mandy and Bunty) from the period 1985 - 1998 implying she is a young-ish woman perhaps.

Makes you wonder then how she came by this stuff, - but not too much, it is after all quite literally, her business.

The vast majority of people just don't care. In fact, more than that - I think most people find family history a burden. I've run across this time and again in my own family research. Most people, in my experience, actually find this sort of thing mildly annoying. I'm not sure I fully understand why, but I suspect it has to do with feelings of loss, and also the (perhaps subconscious) sense of one's own mortality that goes along with it. They really just don't want to have to think about it.

In my own research, I have never once had an immediate family member (brother, 1st cousins, aunts, uncles) help with ancestry research. They won't send photos, they won't share stories. If I want anything, I have to go and search myself, or bother them in person until they agree to help out. Yet people outside the immediate family (2nd cousins, 3rd cousins, etc.) often send stuff (as long as they themselves are not too closely related to the people).

This is the irony of genealogical research - the people most likely to have information won't help to keep it alive.

So who was KH Littlewood born 30/12/1920

Good question Stuart ;-)

Now if someone has a years subscription to Ancestry or 18370nline or the like that has just got to be worth a search now hasn't it.

The vast majority of people just don't care. In fact, more than that - I think most people find family history a burden. I've run across this time and again in my own family research. Most people, in my experience, actually find this sort of thing mildly annoying. I'm not sure I fully understand why, but I suspect it has to do with feelings of loss, and also the (perhaps subconscious) sense of one's own mortality that goes along with it. They really just don't want to have to think about it.

In my own research, I have never once had an immediate family member (brother, 1st cousins, aunts, uncles) help with ancestry research. They won't send photos, they won't share stories. If I want anything, I have to go and search myself, or bother them in person until they agree to help out. Yet people outside the immediate family (2nd cousins, 3rd cousins, etc.) often send stuff (as long as they themselves are not too closely related to the people).

This is the irony of genealogical research - the people most likely to have information won't help to keep it alive.

Must admit most of the help I have had has been from second cousins, most of which I never knew existed until I found them by researching a more extended version of my family tree, and none of which have I ever met, - in fact some of them live at the other side of the World.

As for direct family, - well, my fault really, I left it too late and came into family history at a relatively old age. Most direct family members I would now love to ask certain questions are already dead, and those that remain are elderly, in poor health and have difficulty remembering with accuracy what they did yesterday let alone what they were doing and who they knew 50 or so years ago.

If only I had started earlier. :(

Good question Stuart ;-)

Now if someone has a years subscription to Ancestry or 18370nline or the like that has just got to be worth a search now hasn't it.

I just had a quick look on Ancestry. Actually this could be a distant relative of mine, as I have quite a few Littlewoods in my family tree. It seems to be Kenneth H. Littlewood, born in Heeley. The certificate was issued in Q1 1921, but that would make sense based on his birth date.

I looked for marriages and children. A Kenneth H. Littlewood married a Florence M. Lorriman in Rugby in 1947. They seem to have had no children and she appears to have died in Yeovil, Somerset in 2002. If this is the family, this may be why there's no family interest in the stuff - perhaps no direct descendants.

I just had a quick look on Ancestry. Actually this could be a distant relative of mine, as I have quite a few Littlewoods in my family tree. It seems to be Kenneth H. Littlewood, born in Heeley. The certificate was issued in Q1 1921, but that would make sense based on his birth date.

I looked for marriages and children. A Kenneth H. Littlewood married a Florence M. Lorriman in Rugby in 1947. They seem to have had no children and she appears to have died in Yeovil, Somerset in 2002. If this is the family, this may be why there's no family interest in the stuff - perhaps no direct descendants.

No direct descendant would answer it and of course would be sad that they he had no family with him at the end of his life.

But he could be a distant ancestor of yours! :blink:

What an amazing coincidence. :o

But he could be a distant ancestor of yours! :blink:

What an amazing coincidence. :o

I looked into it a bit further, and he's not related (as far as I can tell). His Littlewood ancestors came from Nottingham, while mine, as far back as I can see, originated in Sheffield. Still, could be a distant relative, but the link would have to be in the 1600s or earlier.

I looked into it a bit further, and he's not related (as far as I can tell). His Littlewood ancestors came from Nottingham, while mine, as far back as I can see, originated in Sheffield. Still, could be a distant relative, but the link would have to be in the 1600s or earlier.

Not worth spending £24.50 on eBay to buy some of his stuff then. lol

Not worth spending £24.50 on eBay to buy some of his stuff then. lol

Even if he were a 1st cousin, £25.00 is a bit rich for me (especially when I would have to factor in postage to the US), considering it's all school-related stuff and none of my direct relatives went to that school.

I just hope someone with some interest in the school picks it up, 'cos otherwise £25.00 seems a bit on the expensive side for a few unidentified and unidentifiable photos and a bunch of school attendance records and newspaper clippings. I fear this bunch of ephemera is going to be lining a dustbin within a few days, unless the seller is willing to re-list it at a more usual £1.00 starting price.

Even if he were a 1st cousin, £25.00 is a bit rich for me (especially when I would have to factor in postage to the US), considering it's all school-related stuff and none of my direct relatives went to that school.

I just hope someone with some interest in the school picks it up, 'cos otherwise £25.00 seems a bit on the expensive side for a few unidentified and unidentifiable photos and a bunch of school attendance records and newspaper clippings. I fear this bunch of ephemera is going to be lining a dustbin within a few days, unless the seller is willing to re-list it at a more usual £1.00 starting price.

As we have already said, perhaps a lot of stuff like this with historic value eventually just ends up in a bin. :(

As we have already said, perhaps a lot of stuff like this with historic value eventually just ends up in a bin. :(

Well it did not sell

Well it did not sell

No suprises there then.

A bit like that postcard that someone wanted a similar silly price for, - also around the £25 mark.

They may readvertise it at a more sensible price I suppose.

But then again there is always the bin, the shredder and the bonfire instead. :(

Just noticed, it's back up for sale, starting big £22 with 0 bids... now there's a surprise

Well, he's knocked £2 off!

It was £24 last time lol

Guest maria_my_star

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but just thought I'd let any interested parties know, that K H Littlewood is my relative! He's still alive, and and very much loved by all who know him. It's definitely him, as all the details mentioned on this thread are spot on. SO odd that some of his things were being sold on ebay. I'm pretty sure none of my family are the seller... I've actually just messaged the ebay seller to ask if she knows what happened to the items... a long shot I know, but I'd love to know more about them.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but just thought I'd let any interested parties know, that K H Littlewood is my relative! He's still alive, and and very much loved by all who know him. It's definitely him, as all the details mentioned on this thread are spot on. SO odd that some of his things were being sold on ebay. I'm pretty sure none of my family are the seller... I've actually just messaged the ebay seller to ask if she knows what happened to the items... a long shot I know, but I'd love to know more about them.

Contact the buyer ..eBay My World

(29-Jun-11)