Waterfall

miked

Anyone know where this is? I think I do but lets see.

Miked , you're at it again. Where do you you get all these pics from?

I'd have a guess at Rivelin. :unsure:

That looks a pretty big, impressive waterfall for a small river like the Rivelin.

OK, it's not exactly Angel Falls, Niagra or Victoria Falls either, but it still looks a fair drop on a fairly wide river.

Is it even in Sheffield?

I think Picture Sheffield has it down as Rivelin, theres not a waterfall like that, I dont think.

I have collected and took loads of pics for years, coming in useful now. Do you know what this watermarking bussiness is some people have?

Thanks for trying, Mike

So it IS the Niagara Falls then :o

Anyone want to try going over it in a barrel? lol

CORRECT The daughter looks a bit close do going in. Edwardian do you think?

Its still a lovely area and a nice walk up to Oughtibridge, dont tell anybody.

CORRECT The daughter looks a bit close do going in. Edwardian do you think?

Its still a lovely area and a nice walk up to Oughtibridge, dont tell anybody.

Looks very Edwardian, or possibly very late Victorian, to me.

Nice picture.

Looks very Edwardian, or possibly very late Victorian, to me.

Nice picture.

Thanks, photo courtesy Dennis Smith, well he doesnt know actually.

Got to wondering, as you do, and after reading about our own Paul Eagle Star in "injuns" post. Do we have any more Native America place names etc.? From the web-

The word "Onguiaahra" appears on documents as early as 1641, and a little later "Ongiara" . Both are Indian words thought as meaning "The Straight". A more romantic meanings " Thunder of Waters " is also given . The usual distortion of the unwritten word have transformed it to "Niagara".'

and-

Modern pronunciation seems to be nye-agra, while and older pronunciation was nye-ag-air-a. I've lived near them all my life and just realized there was an extra "a" in there.

Modern pronunciation seems to be nye-agra, while and older pronunciation was nye-ag-air-a. I've lived near them all my life and just realized there was an extra "a" in there.

Yes, - and I missed that extra "a" out in post #3 didn't I :o

Yes, - and I missed that extra "a" out in post #3 didn't I :o

Thats ok, Sheffield dialect version.

Been racking my brains for other place names. No luck. Best I can come up with are-

Kentucky

Oneida - cutlery, Typical for Americans, in the firms history they make no reference as to where they got the name.

At one time the Stannington cutlers made a Barlow knife stamped Cherokee on the bolster. Will post pic when I find it

Just another thought about our own Niagra, I bet the vapours did not smell to good at that time?

Thats ok, Sheffield dialect version.

Been racking my brains for other place names. No luck. Best I can come up with are-

Kentucky

Oneida - cutlery, Typical for Americans, in the firms history they make no reference as to where they got the name.

At one time the Stannington cutlers made a Barlow knife stamped Cherokee on the bolster. Will post pic when I find it

Just another thought about our own Niagra, I bet the vapours did not smell to good at that time?

There is of course a Philadelphia in Sheffield if that counts

There is of course a Philadelphia in Sheffield if that counts

Nope sorry - An ancient city of Asia Minor northeast of the Dead Sea in modern-day Jordan. The chief city of the Ammonites, ...

Nope sorry - An ancient city of Asia Minor northeast of the Dead Sea in modern-day Jordan. The chief city of the Ammonites, ...

I thought so.

However, how many names have been carried across the World from place to place?

There is already a topic on here somewhere about how many different places around the World there are called Sheffield (other than our own)

...and I supose it says a lot about Victorian engineering, the age of British Empire and the industrial revolution in Britain that the most commonly used name for a railway station in the World is Victoria.

I did mention in post #3 the Victoria falls in Africa.

Henry Morton Stanley spent months hacking his way through the tropical jungle in search of David Livingstone and found him at the falls he had named "Victoria". The conversion which followed their meeting has become legendary, -

HMS - "Doctor Livingstone I presume"

DL - "Yes, I am Doctor Livingstone"

HMS - "It's about this prescription you have written for me, - they can't read it down at the chemists!" he he

Henry Morton Stanley spent months hacking his way through the tropical jungle in search of David Livingstone and found him at the falls he had named "Victoria". The conversion which followed their meeting has become legendary, -

HMS - "Doctor Livingstone I presume"

DL - "Yes, I am Doctor Livingstone"

HMS - "It's about this prescription you have written for me, - they can't read it down at the chemists!" he he

Or the way I heard it

"Doctor Livingstone I presume."

"No - Sorry you just missed him. He went home last week."

Or the way I heard it

"Doctor Livingstone I presume."

"No - Sorry you just missed him. He went home last week."

I'm sorry Vox, but I like DaveH's version better. lol lol

HD

The real conversation which took place between Henry Morton Stanley (HMS) and Doctor David Livingstone (DDL) on the shores of Lake Tanganyika (not, as is popularly believed, on the heights above the Victoria Falls) on November 10th 1871 was not quite so interesting, -

HMS 'Dr. Livingstone, I presume?'

DDL 'Yes,'

HMS 'I thank God, Doctor, I have been permitted to see you.'

DDL 'I feel thankful that I am here to welcome you.'

After that introduction the conversation became very mundane and of a "what's the weather been like" and "How are things back in Britain" sort of nature.

The full account of this meeting can be found HERE

The second image in this link appears to be taken from the same viewpoint as the original image in post #1

Must be a popular place.

The card makes it look even more lovely, I think I will pay a visit and see if I cant take the same shot. I just need to find a nice willing local girl.

I,ve canoed from Oughtibrige to Niagara and seen kingfishers at that spot. Not too sure about otter reports as yet, unless ayone as anything concrete?

Dont know how Mr Rowland (HMS) turned up but he seems a truly awful man and not at all keen on "savages". Its a pity he didnt get eaten. Hope this doesnt give anyone nightmares and get me banned but some things need to be said.

The card makes it look even more lovely, I think I will pay a visit and see if I cant take the same shot. I just need to find a nice willing local girl.

I,ve canoed from Oughtibrige to Niagara and seen kingfishers at that spot. Not too sure about otter reports as yet, unless ayone as anything concrete?

Dont know how Mr Rowland (HMS) turned up but he seems a truly awful man and not at all keen on "savages". Its a pity he didnt get eaten. Hope this doesnt give anyone nightmares and get me banned but some things need to be said.

I've cannodled from Oughtibrige to Niagara and seen kingfishers at that spot.

Very romantic ... he he

So it IS the Niagara Falls then :o

Anyone want to try going over it in a barrel? lol

In 1967 we emigrated to Canada and lived there for 5 years. We lived 15 miles from Niagara Falls so we were always there at the weekends. It was `a long way from Brightside!

It still vivid on my mind now - here's a couple of photos from 1968!

I've cannodled from Oughtibrige to Niagara and seen kingfishers at that spot.

Very romantic ... he he

Very good, I had to check my spelling I know its atroshus.

Re. real Niagara, I remember being thrilled to see a little chipmunk, on land of course. Also the Six Nations reserve, and conoeing on the Grande ? River there.

I asked the native guy how long do I have for hire? he waved his arm and, "as long as you want"..... Nice.