Hibbert's

mickjj

Anyone else remember Hibbert's chocolate shops? The one I remember was at Firth Park opposite the Paragon Cinema. Though as I recall it was still there in the late Seventies. They used to have all the jars of sweets in the window "Jap Mix", "American Hardgums","Pear Drops" etc. I could not find a picture of the Firth Park one but below is a boarded up Hibbert's on Union Street in the late 60's. I believe that the Empire Theatre used to be opposite so maybe it was a trend to get theatre/movie goers to buy sweets before they went in. I wonder how many stores they had in total?

Anyone else remember Hibbert's chocolate shops? The one I remember was at Firth Park opposite the Paragon Cinema. Though as I recall it was still there in the late Seventies. They used to have all the jars of sweets in the window "Jap Mix", "American Hardgums","Pear Drops" etc. I could not find a picture of the Firth Park one but below is a boarded up Hibbert's on Union Street in the late 60's. I believe that the Empire Theatre used to be opposite so maybe it was a trend to get theatre/movie goers to buy sweets before they went in. I wonder how many stores they had in total?

According to 1970 Kelly's

Their Head Office was 172 Psalter Lane

Branches at

89 Pinstone St

23 Surret St

35 Cambridge St

14 Sicey Ave

The Kiosk 19 Exchange St

4 Ridgeway Rd

Victoria Station Approach

Obviously by this time the 1 on Union St in Mick's photo has been demolished

Branches at

89 Pinstone St

23 Surret St

35 Cambridge St

14 Sicey Ave

The Kiosk 19 Exchange St

4 Ridgeway Rd

Same in 1965 Kelly's.

Where abouts on Victoria Station Approach ?

Branches at

89 Pinstone St

23 Surret St

35 Cambridge St

14 Sicey Ave

The Kiosk 19 Exchange St

4 Ridgeway Rd

The one at 4 Ridgeway Road must have been at Manor Top then <_<

So why can't I remember it? :unsure:

I can remember a shop which I think was called Hibberts in the 1960's but I am not sure if it was, -

A ) The newsagents / sweet shop at Herdings next to the S&E Co-Op just off Morland Road

or

B ) The newsagent / sweet shop at Gleadless townend on Gleadless Road which I think is now either Little India restraunt or Eyres solicitors

So, with my rapidly failing memory what shops am I confusing with Hibberts?

The one at 4 Ridgeway Road must have been at Manor Top then <_<

So why can't I remember it? :unsure:

I can remember a shop which I think was called Hibberts in the 1960's but I am not sure if it was, -

A ) The newsagents / sweet shop at Herdings next to the S&E Co-Op just off Morland Road

or

B ) The newsagent / sweet shop at Gleadless townend on Gleadless Road which I think is now either Little India restraunt or Eyres solicitors

So, with my rapidly failing memory what shops am I confusing with Hibberts?

The newsagents on Gleadless Road at Townend was indeed where Little India is now. When I was a lot younger it was Hall's, and before that I have a remembrance of it being called something like Ealhams or Elhams, although it is a long time ago and it was known to my family only as the paper shop.

The newsagents on Gleadless Road at Townend was indeed where Little India is now. When I was a lot younger it was Hall's, and before that I have a remembrance of it being called something like Ealhams or Elhams, although it is a long time ago and it was known to my family only as the paper shop.

Thanks madannie,

I remember that the Gleadless Road one was actually called Hall's in the 1960's.

It may have been just a newsagent as we went there as kids due to it being well stocked with American imported comics from DC and Marvel.

These cost 1s6d each while the British comics like Dandy and Beano cost 3d at the time so they were 6 times more expensive.

However they had 48 to 60 pages instead of 12 to 16 and were in full colour all the way through, and they came out only monthly or bimonthly rather than weekly.

If i had kept the ones I had, from what is now called the "Silver Age" of American comics I suppose they would be worth a lot more now.

Still can't remember what the one at Herdings was called but I am sure Markbaby has mentioned it when I asked in another topic (I think it's in "Those Gleadless Pictures")

Same in 1965 Kelly's.

Where abouts on Victoria Station Approach ?

Now I come to think of it I seem to remember a kiosk outside the station, perhaps that was Hibbert's

If i had kept the ones I had, from what is now called the "Silver Age" of American comics I suppose they would be worth a lot more now.

I have Volume 1, Edition 1 of Science Wonder Stories from 1929, was my Dad's - Hugo Gernsback and all that.

Thanks madannie,

You can get an idea of just how much at Quicksilver Comics -- ( qscomics.com )

This is my friend (and ex-bass player's) business.

Some of the rare ones can fetch thousands.

You can get an idea of just how much at Quicksilver Comics -- ( qscomics.com )

This is my friend (and ex-bass player's) business.

Some of the rare ones can fetch thousands.

I had the impression that would be the case vox

Even without the imported American comics, rare and early editions of British comics also command very high prices

First editions of the Dandy (1937) or the Beano (1938) in good condition must be worth an absolute fortune today, and their original cover price was only, I think, 2d :o

I had the impression that would be the case vox

Even without the imported American comics, rare and early editions of British comics also command very high prices

First editions of the Dandy (1937) or the Beano (1938) in good condition must be worth an absolute fortune today, and their original cover price was only, I think, 2d :o

We seem to be way off topic here

We seem to be way off topic here

Well perhaps you should tell me a bit more about the Hibberts that I can't seem to remember at 4 Ridgeway Road then?

Any ideas?

Can you remember it? The 41 bus to Hackenthorpe must have close to it.

At a guess without checking I would say 4 Ridgewy Road is probably on the section between Manor Cinema and Manor Library where there are to this day a row of shops.

On 08/01/2011 at 18:21, DaveH said:

Well perhaps you should tell me a bit more about the Hibberts that I can't seem to remember at 4 Ridgeway Road then?

Any ideas?

At a guess without checking I would say 4 Ridgewy Road is probably on the section between Manor Cinema and Manor Library where there are to this day a row of shops.

4 Ridgeway Road is on the left of this image from Picture Sheffield: still a confectioners, but at the time this shot was taken it was Abbotts (or Abbetts).

This topic got me thinking about the newsagent/sweet shop I used to go in regularly in the row of shops on Ridgeway Road opposite Gleadless Church. I haven't got a clue what it was called, despite walking past it at least twice a day for several years when I was a child.

Any ideas?

Like you I can't recall it all

The only shops I can remember was the Co-oP and the chemist

2 Ridgeway Rd was Jamiesons Chemists

4 Hibberts

4 Photoplus Ltd Photographers (must have been upstairs)

6 not listed

8 - 10B&C

12 Shentall Grocer

14 Baines Cafe

Then the Library

This topic got me thinking about the newsagent/sweet shop I used to go in regularly in the row of shops on Ridgeway Road opposite Gleadless Church. I haven't got a clue what it was called, despite walking past it at least twice a day for several years when I was a child.

OK, these are the shops on the corner near Hollinsend Road, opposite the church and Hollinsend park.

There is a ladies hairdressers (Audrey's??), Armstrongs the opticians and a Grocery Store / Lateshopper.

Sure I have posted pictures of these in other topics as they are now, but years ago?

I can't remember a newsagents down there either :unsure:

So there were a number of outlets. Does anyone know the history behind the company? Were they local ? Was it a family buisness?

Like you I can't recall it all

The only shops I can remember was the Co-oP and the chemist

2 Ridgeway Rd was Jamiesons Chemists

4 Hibberts

4 Photoplus Ltd Photographers (must have been upstairs)

6 not listed

8 - 10B&C

12 Shentall Grocer

14 Baines Cafe

Then the Library

Jamiesons chemists is still a chemists (Lloyds I think)

I can't remember Hibberts or Photoplus (which as keen amateur photographers in 1970 we should both remember, - unless it was just a photo finishing place)

Certainly remember the others

I am sure my mum has done relief work at that Co-Op and the other 2 shops have frequently changed ownership and type of business.

For years Baines cafe was Mitchells DIY and I think it is currently a nail studio.

To correct you slightly, after Baines cafe there is a private road which runs down to the back of Dagnam Crescent where Pete Harrison used to live.

Beyond this is Manor Welfare Centre used for post natal and paediatric work with new mothers and babies.

Then it is Manor library.

Is the Welfare Centre missing from Kelly's list?

It was there in 1970, it has always been a welfare centre and has been there as long as the library.

Jamiesons chemists is still a chemists (Lloyds I think)

I can't remember Hibberts or Photoplus (which as keen amateur photographers in 1970 we should both remember, - unless it was just a photo finishing place)

Certainly remember the others

I am sure my mum has done relief work at that Co-Op and the other 2 shops have frequently changed ownership and type of business.

For years Baines cafe was Mitchells DIY and I think it is currently a nail studio.

To correct you slightly, after Baines cafe there is a private road which runs down to the back of Dagnam Crescent where Pete Harrison used to live.

Beyond this is Manor Welfare Centre used for post natal and paediatric work with new mothers and babies.

Then it is Manor library.

Is the Welfare Centre missing from Kelly's list?

It was there in 1970, it has always been a welfare centre and has been there as long as the library.

Thats an error in Kelly's 1970

It has the Library 1st then the Maternity and Child Welfare Clinic

Thats an error in Kelly's 1970

It has the Library 1st then the Maternity and Child Welfare Clinic

I have given them in the order they are as you walk away from Manor Top (clinic first then library).

However, they are both council owner and share a common site.

Has Kellys just "lumped the 2 together as 1 unit" even though they are seperate buildings?

On 08/01/2011 at 18:39, madannie77 said:

That was Plumb's. Their son Geoffrey was at Gleadless County School with me, though I can't remember if he was in my year, but he was roughly my age.

I'm trying to remember what other shops were in that parade, which I think was quite a short one. A chemist's and/or opticians, perhaps?

On 17/01/2022 at 17:03, Athy said:

That was Plumb's. Their son Geoffrey was at Gleadless County School with me, though I can't remember if he was in my year, but he was roughly my age.

I'm trying to remember what other shops were in that parade, which I think was quite a short one. A chemist's and/or opticians, perhaps?

What year was that? When I was growing up in the 1970s Plumbs newsagent's was on Gleadless Road, almost at the junction with White Lane. Only ever went tyhere if Ealhams/Halls at Townend hadn't got what I wanted.

As to the other shops opposite Gleadless Church, I think there was a hairdresser, then one I can't remember, then the chemist & optician (Armstrongs, where I was a regular for much of my childhood, being terribly short-sighted). Then was the newsagent and another shop I don't remember, and the last one was a small food store, almost a mini-supermarket. The name escapes me, but I am sure that at some point it changed from a general food store to a freezer store.