George Medal

Guest phil1546

Guest phil1546

Hello

I'm trying to find out any info about an uncle of mine who was awarded the George Medal for bravery during the blitz in Sheffield. I am not sure of his first name but it might be Tom, his surname was definatley Ashley, I know that he was deaf so he could not join the army. The story that has been passed down the family to me is that a bomb landed near a school and he picked it up so the children were not in danger. I know that there are not any comprehensive lists of George Medal winners and I cannot find him anywhere. Please, please can you help? Any information about him would be very gratefully received.

Thank you

Phil

Hi Phil

Have you consulted this book?

"A complete list of George Medal holders 1940-1983 can be found in the book "Dragons Can be Defeated" by D.V. Henderson."

Hello

I'm trying to find out any info about an uncle of mine who was awarded the George Medal for bravery during the blitz in Sheffield. I am not sure of his first name but it might be Tom, his surname was definatley Ashley, I know that he was deaf so he could not join the army. The story that has been passed down the family to me is that a bomb landed near a school and he picked it up so the children were not in danger. I know that there are not any comprehensive lists of George Medal winners and I cannot find him anywhere. Please, please can you help? Any information about him would be very gratefully received.

Thank you

Phil

Guest phil1546

Thank you Dunsbyowl1867

I'll try to get hold of a copy from my local library, they'll order it for me.

Thanks again!

Phil