Bandstand Meersbrook Park

duckweed

Thanks I shall have a look and see if there is any sign of the foundation. What a magnificent bandstand it was. Pity they took it down. So many of the victorian features of the park has gone. The beautiful urns containing plants by Meersbrook House (now they have black plastic planters that aren't even in the right place.) And there were so much more seats. A pond and a drinking fountain. So much more beautiful plants and shrubs.

As I remember last time I was in the park there was no sign of where the bandstand had been, not the old drinking fountain below it. Only the stone and concrete base was left though, it was like that when my mum was a kid in the thirties.

When we were kids they used to put a green hut on the bandstand during the six week holidays where we could borrow things like stilts and cricket gear. I have seen puppet shows put on there too.

In those days the swings were up near the house and there were three gents lavs in the park too, now as far as I know two are gone (one by the entrance at the bottom of Brook Road/ Meersbrook Park Road, the other up by Bishops House), not sure about the one by the house as I haven't been up there in a while.

I may have a wander through tomorrow if I have time to leave the car at home and walk through to Woodseats.

The Loo's next to the house were knocked down to make car parking area for the staff, They were classed as part of the house and was therefore listed I believe. The open courtyard has been filled in with more offices.

Great Picture. Haven't seen that one before. I'm now trying to work out where the Lodge was for the estate. Also someone said there used to be a cafe in Meersbrook park, anyone know where that was and who ran it?

I'm looking for its exact position and how people would approach Meersbrook Hall before the estate was shrunk by several acres being sold off for housing and roads. I am unsure which angle the drive would come in at as I am unsure which part the Shores would see as the front. I think the stables are in Meersbrook Park Road. They certainly look like Henry Tatton's drawing but He doesn't give an exact position for the lodge. only that it was up "a piece" from the county boundary.

I'm looking for its exact position and how people would approach Meersbrook Hall before the estate was shrunk by several acres being sold off for housing and roads. I am unsure which angle the drive would come in at as I am unsure which part the Shores would see as the front. I think the stables are in Meersbrook Park Road. They certainly look like Henry Tatton's drawing but He doesn't give an exact position for the lodge. only that it was up "a piece" from the county boundary.

Here's the lodge and what looks to be the stables, Meersbrook House is off the map to the south,

just below where it says 'Meersbrook'

Flash Earth

That is perfect as you can see the fishpond and the farm buildings as well. I have the buildings on my 1806 map but wasn't sure that was them as I couldn't see the Fishpond and the lodge was a very tiny dot. I don't suppose anyone knows when the lodge went?

Check back on the old maps, some just have the course of Meersbrook Park Road laid out. It was built pretty late on, after Valley Road, maybe the 1890s onwards? I know the houses one Argyle Road were built around 1900, ours was built in 1901. Check out also the photos on picturesheffield.com , the lime trees are either very small or not even planted on some.