The Industry. Allen St. ?

miked

Help needed please (a pint is at stake)

A friend has just told me his mother managed "The Industry" on Allen St (if I remember right) He says it is not on any list. ....Is he right?

Help needed please (a pint is at stake)

A friend has just told me his mother managed "The Industry" on Allen St (if I remember right) He says it is not on any list. ....Is he right?

Nothing I can find on my Pubs list (it is, however 2.129 AM, New Years Day and I may have trouble finding my legsnever mind about research/record-checking !); not checked beerhouses yet; I'd like Ukelele Lady to have input also.

We need four things for inclusion on the list, a name, a date, a premises name (or beerhouse, if that's what it is) and an address - preferably from a recognized printed resource e.g. a Census, BMD Certificate, Trade Directory etc etc - some "pubs" have taken a while to get through this process, some have flown through - think "Leg of Mutton and Trimmings" and "Waterfall". "Our" lists only claim to cover the year dot to 1951 - anything after that which is included, is purely "stuff" we have come across - no claims made on anything after 1951.

I'd love a "new" old pub on the list, but thecriteria must be fulfilled before your pint-cash gets handed over.

Hope your friend can provide the detail required, it'd be great to start the New Year with a new entry.

I am definitely sober and I can't see it in any of the lists on here.

Sheffield Records Online has an address for a beerhouse/beer retailer at 64 Allen Street. This corresponds with this image on Picture Sheffield which places it near to the Paragon Workmens Homes at 60 Allen Street.

Two more images from Picture Sheffield:

Industry Inn, Allen Street

I am definitely sober and I can't see it in any of the lists on here.

Sheffield Records Online has an address for a beerhouse/beer retailer at 64 Allen Street. This corresponds with this image on Picture Sheffield which places it near to the Paragon Workmens Homes at 60 Allen Street.

Two more images from Picture Sheffield:

We have the Old Half Moon at 64 Allen St http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=3531&view=findpost&p=18363

and

Free Trades Inn at 66 Allen St http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=3530&view=findpost&p=16890

I have a old victorian bottle with E . DIXON industry park sheffield embossed on the front ! maybe he was the owner / landlord around 1900

I have a old victorian bottle with E . DIXON industry park sheffield embossed on the front ! maybe he was the owner / landlord around 1900

That is the Industry PH on South Street. ex cavator,

and Mrs Eliza Dixon.

SH link .. http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=3530&view=findpost&p=18267

Nothing I can find on my Pubs list (it is, however 2.129 AM, New Years Day and I may have trouble finding my legsnever mind about research/record-checking !); not checked beerhouses yet; I'd like Ukelele Lady to have input also.

We need four things for inclusion on the list, a name, a date, a premises name (or beerhouse, if that's what it is) and an address - preferably from a recognized printed resource e.g. a Census, BMD Certificate, Trade Directory etc etc - some "pubs" have taken a while to get through this process, some have flown through - think "Leg of Mutton and Trimmings" and "Waterfall". "Our" lists only claim to cover the year dot to 1951 - anything after that which is included, is purely "stuff" we have come across - no claims made on anything after 1951.

I'd love a "new" old pub on the list, but thecriteria must be fulfilled before your pint-cash gets handed over.

Hope your friend can provide the detail required, it'd be great to start the New Year with a new entry.

Thanks for prompt action (everyone) Trying to contact friend for more details, I think he said his mothers maiden name was Brown.

Not sure how I will stand with this bet because I said you would definately have it on your list

Not sure how I will stand with this bet because I said you would definately have it on your list

The Devil (as usual) is in the detail.

Industry at 34 Broad Lane & 1 South Street, Park is an entirely different place; with loads of known keepers. Including Mrs Eliza Dixon from 1888 through to 1913.

[steve beat me to it; posted mine before I realized Steve was there ahead of me.]

Thanks for prompt action (everyone) Trying to contact friend for more details, I think he said his mothers maiden name was Brown.

Old Half Moon Inn, 64 Allen Street, open from 1845, three known keepers, Charles Cauldwell (1859) Lmatches well with SheffieldRecordsOnlines Coldwell/Couldwell) then James Foster (1871) then George W Philips (1881, 56-62 Allen Street) - no mention of Industry in my records, but I don't know what year your friend is talking about.

Steve might be able to find it in 1925 (please), my 1957 Directory is 30 miles away ...

To me its looking like a re-name, not sure where that leaves your bet mind you

64 Allen Street through the years

George Sanderson, beerhouse, 1841 (Rodgers Directory)

Charles Coldwell/Cauldwell ?, beer retailer, (White's 1849)

Charles Couldwell/Cauldwell ?, filesmith and beer housL, (White's 1852)

James Foster, beerhouse, 1871(White's)

Henry Hill, beer retailer, 1893 (Kelly's)

William Walker, beerhouse 1905 (White's)

Christopher Powell, beer house, 1911 (White's)

Thomas Green, beer retailer, 1919 (White's) and 1925 (Kelly's)

-------------

Still no mention of "Industry" ?

Whites 1849

Joseph Osborne 66 Allen St Hay & Straw Dealer and Beerhouse

Whites 1852

Rebecca Osborne 66 Allen St Coal Dealer and Beerhouse

I have a list of " new old " pubs that need sorting in the near future.

They could be under another name but at a same address as with the Indusry and the Old Half Moon

on Allen Street.

Steve might be able to find it in 1925 (please), my 1957 Directory is 30 miles away ...

To me its looking like a re-name, not sure where that leaves your bet mind you

1957 not much good to us, as the Old Half Moon (Allen Street) was knocked down July 1938

PictureSheffield link

I am afraid I cant seem to contact my New Years eve fiend. He said his mother had the pub and he is about 70 years old I would guess.

(not more than about a hundred years ago?)

Sorry for the hazy details.

There is a picture though?

Thanks

mike

PS Do you think if we can get a better copy of the photo we could see a name?

I am afraid I cant seem to contact my New Years eve fiend. He said his mother had the pub and he is about 70 years old I would guess.

(not more than about a hundred years ago?)

Sorry for the hazy details.

There is a picture though?

Thanks

mike

I hope we get to the bottom of this one, let us know if you find out anymore on this.

I only have names of keepers up to 1922 at the moment and there's nothing

there on an Industry pub on Allen Street so I can only think the name was changed

sometime after that.

I hope we get to the bottom of this one, let us know if you find out anymore on this.

I only have names of keepers up to 1922 at the moment and there's nothing

there on an Industry pub on Allen Street so I can only think the name was changed

sometime after that.

Obsessive2 calling Obsessive1 - over

Here's The Industries I have; can't visualize any being Allen Street, but then, I can't claim to know every Sheffield Street/Road no matter how hard I try.

Industry (and Wine & Spirit Merchant) 34 Broad Street & 1 South Street, Park 1797.

Industry 118 Porter Street 1833.

Industry 67 Fitzwilliam Street 1859.

Industry 206 Dunlop Street 1951.

Industry Inn 24 Savile Street East 1860.

Industry Inn Green Side, Chapeltown 1861.

Industry Inn 2 Mowbray Street 1871.

Industry Inn Dun Street, Attercliffe 1871.

Industry Inn 147 Young Street 1871.

Industry Inn Darnall 1871.

Industry Inn 130 Washington Road

Industry Inn /"T'Swarf Oil" Corporation Street

Always the possibility its not Allen Street in the picture but one of the above; I'm too young and handsome to comment and you have recently turned 22 I hear ; I wonder if any crew-members with an earlier start date to life have any input ?

Any map-heads with pre-1938 data we would welcome your input.

Roger, Over-and-out, 10-4 (magnificent game, shame we lost), Tally-Ho, Splice the mainbrace, Rubber-Duck, Transporters to the ready etc etc

There's no mention of The Industry Allen Street in Kelly's 1931 and 1933 directory.

If it was demolished in 1938 then there's just a few in between years to look at.

Right, Just had another brief encounter with my "Indusry" fiend (a fellow folkie and a man of few words, I had to follow him out of the Royal and to his car in the wilds of Dungworth)

He says his mothers name was Annie E Green (ok I had the colour wrong on New years eve, sorry) He then said husband Thomas.. Richard (?) posted this earlier

He said he never saw the pub but "has articles from it".......end of information till next encounter.

if he associates the industry with Allen St. and Picture Sheffield do, isnt that case proven?

Mike (sleepless in Sheffield)

Right, Just had another brief encounter with my "Indusry" fiend (a fellow folkie and a man of few words, I had to follow him out of the Royal and to his car in the wilds of Dungworth)

He says his mothers name was Annie E Green (ok I had the colour wrong on New years eve, sorry) He then said husband Thomas.. Richard (?) posted this earlier

He said he never saw the pub but "has articles from it".......end of information till next encounter.

if he associates the industry with Allen St. and Picture Sheffield do, isnt that case proven?

Mike (sleepless in Sheffield)

Yes that's good enough for me, there's pictures of it but no mention of what year it was called the Industry.

But there are still some years in the Kellys directories to look through, did he mention any specific year?

I wonder if I know the man, I used to go in that pub when a friend of mine ran it.

It's way out in the wilds, do you know many years ago they used to keep hens and chickens under

the pub itself , they said it was the only form of heating that they had.

I'm glad it's still open though. :)

Yes that's good enough for me, there's pictures of it but no mention of what year it was called the Industry.

But there are still some years in the Kellys directories to look through, did he mention any specific year?

I wonder if I know the man, I used to go in that pub when a friend of mine ran it.

It's way out in the wilds, do you know many years ago they used to keep hens and chickens under

the pub itself , they said it was the only form of heating that they had.

I'm glad it's still open though. :)

Just come across this at Chapel books, wirth a look. http://www.chapelbooks.co.uk/yorkshire.htm

Sheffield & Rotherham document] Sale Particulars of Beerhouses and Cottages

Printed particulars for the 1899 sale of:

Sheffield:

The Woolsack Beerhouse, tenanted by William Baines, together with 6 adjoining cottages, Upper Allen Street.

The Fulton Inn Beerhouse on the corner of Walkley Street/Fulton Road [William Bradshaw].

A grocers shop in Portland Street [T F Watkinson] together with 6 adjoining cottages.