ALL CLEAR - Sheffield ARP Magazine

dunsbyowl1867

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-513-1176281419.jpgWill scan & post more later if anyone is interested.

Guest tsavo

I just love the advert for Walsh's restaurant, orchestra and all. Do you know when this was published?

I just love the advert for Walsh's restaurant, orchestra and all. Do you know when this was published?

Published obviously after the war had started - there is reference to the ARP being in existance for the last "two years" but they may have been founded before the war started?

Guest tsavo

Mmmm, good point, maybe a little research needed. I always find the adverts interesting, especially the prices.

Mmmm, good point, maybe a little research needed. I always find the adverts interesting, especially the prices.

And obviously before Walshs was destroyed bombing ?

Guest tsavo

Nice footage, which I last saw in 1973. Thanks for the memory.

The Cinema House was showing Comrade X which was released in 1940, so the years 1940/41 are favourites. Films used to be 6 months behind the US here then so possibly 1941 which would fit the bomb damage not shown in that particular clip section.

I used cunning, wisdom, investigative techniques far too complicated for mere mortals to comprehend and I conclude the issue scanned and posted was definately AFTER 9th of May 1940 and before Walshes was blown to smittereens .... my secret technique is detailed below ........

Keep going, it's a secret, don't want anyone else to know. After all "Dangerous Internet Message Board Postings - Cost Lives" lol

OK, main, and indeed only method used :

I read it. There is a letter received 9th May 1940 lol

Guest pfn

More please! Thats a great little insight into Sheffield during the 40s isnt it. I would like to see more if possible. How many pages does it have?

The page entitled ARPTEMAS is interesting. It refers to The Book of Artemas, of which I have a copy. The Artemas book is humorous and also a spoof of a biblical text as its written like one, but still makes poignant reading. It gives slightly different names to people and countries, (Willie in the country of Hun is causing trouble for the people of Eng etc) but it was written during WWI and is about how that war came about and what happened next. I will dig it out and write in a few quotes from it. It only cost about £2 from a second hand book shop, but like the All Clear mag shows a good spirit in the face of great adversity.

More please! Thats a great little insight into Sheffield during the 40s isnt it. I would like to see more if possible. How many pages does it have?

The page entitled ARPTEMAS is interesting. It refers to The Book of Artemas, of which I have a copy. The Artemas book is humorous and also a spoof of a biblical text as its written like one, but still makes poignant reading. It gives slightly different names to people and countries, (Willie in the country of Hun is causing trouble for the people of Eng etc) but it was written during WWI and is about how that war came about and what happened next. I will dig it out and write in a few quotes from it. It only cost about £2 from a second hand book shop, but like the All Clear mag shows a good spirit in the face of great adversity.

Sorry Will do asap will try by Monday