Beer Off On Cobden View.

jimmydunneclone

Does anyone remember the name of the off license on the corner of Cobden View Rd and School Rd (Crookes) in the '70's? Any pics would be great.

Looks like there were 5 shops on that corner, No's 2, 4 & 6 Cobden and 224 & 226 School Rd

Which one was it ?

Google Streetview

Aaah, I get it now!

A "beer off" is abbriviated colloquial speak for an "Off Licence Premises for the sale of alcoholic drinks" ;-)

I thought that "Beer Off On Cobden View" was a statement of fact warning us not to go and drink there! lol

Looks like there were 5 shops on that corner, No's 2, 4 & 6 Cobden and 224 & 226 School Rd

Which one was it ?

Google Streetview

This is the complete section out of 1970's Kelly's for Cobden View Rd

I have circled the corner as highlighted by Steve and Vox

This is the complete section out of 1970's Kelly's for Cobden View Rd

I have circled the corner as highlighted by Steve and Vox

I mis read Steve's 1st post 226/228 School Rd not Cobden View Rd

In 1970 Kellys

226/228 Davies E Wine and Spirit Dealer, which would be the corner property as per Steve's map

Earlier

Askew, Charles C (, grocer & agent for W.A.Gilbey Ltd.wine & spirit merchants&beer retailer).

226 School Road, 1905.

Whites Dir.of Sheffield & Rotherham

I mis read Steve's 1st post 226/228 School Rd not Cobden View Rd

In 1970 Kellys

226/228 Davies E Wine and Spirit Dealer, which would be the corner property as per Steve's map

The Beer Off was certainly at 226/228 School Road when I lived nearby circa 1973 to 1984. I think it had closed down before we left the immediate district. It always seemed a bit run down and as you entered the floorboards used to spring in an alarming fashion. This seemed to be the case in a lot of the old corner shops and I'm surprised we didn't learn of more customers disappearing into the cellars below.

HD

Which one was it ?

Google Streetview

It's the one on the left of the photo.The others are directly on Cobden View.I have a photo of the sweet shop at 4 Cobden View but nothing of the off licence.