Mrs Smith's Punch Bowl

RichardB

Debtor William Newsome, a spoon-buffer confined at Sheffield for a debt of fourteen shillings, escaped from the prison in 1836.

Apprehended in his cups at Mrs Smith's Punch Bowl a few hours later and returned to gaol, he struck the doorkeeper a lethal blow before the prison officers succeeded in securing him in the strong-room.

Sheffield Iris 2 August 1836

-----------------

James Smith (1834) and Ann Smith (1837) known keepers of the Punch Bowl, 35 Bridge Street; could be another Punch Bowl, but none seem to fit.

----------------

James Smith (1834) and Ann Smith (1837) known keepers of the Punch Bowl, 35 Bridge Street; could be another Punch Bowl, but none seem to fit.

These dates fit, why can't it be this one

You will now tell me I have missed something obvious

These dates fit, why can't it be this one

You will now tell me I have missed something obvious

Sorry Stuart, I meant to say the dates/names do not fit with any of the other "Punch Bowls".

Debtor William Newsome, a spoon-buffer confined at Sheffield for a debt of fourteen shillings, escaped from the prison in 1836.

Apprehended in his cups at Mrs Smith's Punch Bowl a few hours later and returned to gaol, he struck the doorkeeper a lethal blow before the prison officers succeeded in securing him in the strong-room.

Sheffield Iris 2 August 1836

-----------------

Sounds like PUNCH bowl was an appropriate name then! lol

So what happened to him then?

He was already an escaped convict and he ended up killing someone trying to apprehend him.

Now surely in 1836 that offence would have carried a mandatory death sentence of death by hanging. <_<

Apprehended in his cups at ---

I've come across this (in his cups) before but I don't know what it means.

Any ideas ?

Yes I've come across it before as well vox.

I think it means he was drunk.

As he was apprehended in a boozer (the Punch Bowl) this seems more than likely.

No idea of the origin of the expression though, where it came from? why it means drunk?

Yes I've come across it before as well vox.

I think it means he was drunk.

As he was apprehended in a boozer (the Punch Bowl) this seems more than likely.

No idea of the origin of the expression though, where it came from? why it means drunk?

My middle-American friend TonyR would call that "in the bucket" or "he was in his bucket" - probably meaning much the same.

-------------------------

Sing along now

"My buckets got a whole in it, I can't buy no beer".

Internet allowed, AFL is yer clue, need the Newcastle connection also please. (Picture of a blue running shoe/trainer on the sleeve - line drawing - this is just from memory, A&M records possibly).

My middle-American friend TonyR would call that "in the bucket" or "he was in his bucket" - probably meaning much the same.

-------------------------

Sing along now

"My buckets got a whole in it, I can't buy no beer".

Internet allowed, AFL is yer clue, need the Newcastle connection also please. (Picture of a blue running shoe/trainer on the sleeve - line drawing - this is just from memory, A&M records possibly).

You never gave us the answer to that other one about Stackridge and Stan Laurel after I had given it my best shot. :angry:

You never gave us the answer to that other one about Stackridge and Stan Laurel after I had given it my best shot. :angry:

I posted the entire answer in the question somewhere along the line !

Stackridge released a compilation album called "Do the Stanley" featuring Stan Laurel dance poses, I think I posted a (very small picture) Vox posted a dreadful video/YouTube link; former members of Stackridge formed the Korgies. Simples.

Stackridge released a compilation album called "Do the Stanley" featuring Stan Laurel dance poses, I think I posted a (very small picture) Vox posted a dreadful video/YouTube link; former members of Stackridge formed the Korgies. Simples.

So I was right then! lol

So I was right then! lol

As correct as correct can be !

Now Kites by Simon Dupree and the Big Sound and Gentle Giant ... connect tem - internet allowed because I'm struggling and I should know the answeir !

As correct as correct can be !

Now Kites by Simon Dupree and the Big Sound and Gentle Giant ... connect tem - internet allowed because I'm struggling and I should know the answeir !

Tricky one again,

I am familiar with Simon Duoree and the Big Sound (and of course their biggest hit, "Kites")

but "Gentle Giant"?

Lost me there Richard :unsure:

Tricky one again,

I am familiar with Simon Duoree and the Big Sound (and of course their biggest hit, "Kites")

but "Gentle Giant"?

Lost me there Richard :unsure:

On Reflection its more early 70's progressive noodling ...

Now, Leafhound now we're talking ... search the internet, album (on vinyl) used to sell for over £1,000.

Stackridge released a compilation album called "Do the Stanley" featuring Stan Laurel dance poses, I think I posted a (very small picture)

Vox posted a dreadful video/YouTube link; former members of Stackridge formed the Korgies.

Simples.

Did you know that this word is now in the OE Dictionary. What's it all coming to ?

Did you know that this word is now in the OE Dictionary. What's it all coming to ?

What does it define it as vox?

Logically SIMPLES is the plural of SIMPLE.

So it should mean "several things which are simultaneously simple" or "a collection of simple things"

Simples as in that meerkat advert.

According to the Guardian

I like the way David Cameron appears in that link with aleksandr the meekat saying simples ;-)

One of my definitions of "Simples" was "a collection of simple things"

and as David Cameron emphasises, what better place to find such a collection than in the House of Commons! he he

Simples! lol