bus man

Bridge Street Bus Station

74 posts in this topic

We should never forget what an important role the Civil Defence volunteers played in the dark days of the cold war. That prefab building in Bridge Street was where all of them....and just about every Sheffield bobby of the time..did their training with individual dosimeters and other radiation detectors. The threat of a nuclear war was very real and I recall one police sergeant who was taking one of the regular Tuesday afternoon lectures saying that if the awful day ever dawned he would bake his family a cake of all the pills he could find rather than have them face the horror of The A Bomb. Humble little Bridge Street was quite an important feature in the Sheffield of the late Fifties and early Sixties. But really "Civil Defence" was a sick joke. If it had ever happened none of us would have stood a chance of survival.

Some of you may enjoy this.

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >

Who remembers Bridge St then?

One former driver said he hated going into to Bridge St with jumbos as they didnt have power steering.

I worked routes with Jumbos but did not find the ones without power steering to be too bad, they had a nice big steering wheel. I remember one with power steering that was so light you could just spin the wheel with one finger. The heaviest steering I remember was a Fleetline on the Prince of Wales circular with a full standing load, coming out of The Square I needed to stand up to pull it round. I do remember the first time I conducted on a Jumbo, when I went upstairs the back end looked a long way away.

Yes i remember many a time waiting in the wind and rain with my mother for 47 or 48 bus to turn up to take us back home to Shiregreen.

The preferred bus was the 48 as we lived a stones throw away, just off Sicey Avenue, but in desperation we could jump on the 47 but would have to walk from Bellhouse road!!

Yes i remember many a time waiting in the wind and rain with my mother for 47 or 48 bus to turn up to take us back home to Shiregreen.

The preferred bus was the 48 as we lived a stones throw away, just off Sicey Avenue, but in desperation we could jump on the 47 but would have to walk from Bellhouse road!!

Must have lived close to me, we would get off at Rollistone Road

Yes, very close indeed!

I grew up on Nesfield way, just off Rollestone Road! :)

Yes, very close indeed!

I grew up on Nesfield way, just off Rollestone Road! :)

I was just round the corner on Fairthorn Road, our garden backed onto the ones on Nesfield. I knew a lot of people who lived on there

You have to be joking, it was just big enough to house a desk-cum-table and a rack with the timetables. A telephone and in a separate partition round the back, a coffee machine. As one of the inspectors using it I hated it as I was surrounded by cig smoke so bad it could be cut with a knife. Of course it wouldn't be allowed today.

Here is a July 1970 view  of the Bus Terminus to remind you of how busy it could be plus a Fletcher's Bread Van.

2014-06-07_9a.jpg

On 19/11/2008 at 17:25, Gramps said:

Nice to see pics of buses in the old livery and especially the old back loader. Often used to wonder what went on in the inspectors hut - did they have a kitchen in there ;-)

In the 50s I think they parked a single decker there as a tea Room for the staff. Gray's motor bike showroom was just below it at that time.

On 15/09/2009 at 08:17, vox said:

For a short while in the 60's I had occasion to go to Grenoside Village.

I don't remember the bus number but I think I got it at Bridge Street.

It was a 79 to Chapeltown or a 91 to Ecclesfield. Both went via Grenoside.

i remember the smell of the brewery at bridge st bus station. the 47 and 48 were they the 150 and 151 before that or am i mistaken.

Yes, the brewery smell was lovely. As a kid I always liked jumping off the back of the bus before it stopped - very exciting. You could do this on the AECs that used to run to Bridge Street from Grenoside in the 50s.

Another interesting feature of the journey was passing Hillsborough and all the tool and steel works on Penistone Road: Osborn's, Andrews Toledo and Presto. One of the first Toyota dealers in Sheffield was on a bomb site near West Bar.

i remember if we missed the last whistle for the 47 or 48 bus we would run along the road passed the rolling mills and catch the bus at the bottom of corporation street. if we missed it there ( depending on shoes worn ) we would walk up to greasy vera's and grab a taxi. happy days.

On 06/03/2017 at 19:32, mammybear said:

i remember the smell of the brewery at bridge st bus station. the 47 and 48 were they the 150 and 151 before that or am i mistaken.

You are right. Before being renumbered in 1973 or 1974 (can't remember exactly when) the 47 and 48 were numbered  150 and 151.