#1 detrius

detrius

Sheffield History Pro

• Sheffield History Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:41 PM

Hi People

I,m looking for the history and memories of Banners Department store on Attercliffe Rd,Attercliffe.
Just done a piece on my youtube,Video 26 with my young memories.Please take a look and drop me a reply. :blink:

What are your memories,and memories at Christmas time,shopping there.

Thankyou

Andy :)

Attached Images

• att_pic_25.1__video_25.jpg
  • att_pic_25.2__video_25.jpg

#2 plain talker

plain talker

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Interests:history, and referee-educating lol my dog, and my cats

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:38 AM

I remember the wooden escalators. I STR that Banners were about the first in Britain to get escalators.

As my mother and her family were Atterclievians :hihi: we spent a lot of ti,e in Banners. My mother used to walk me along attercliffe to my grandfathers house, by carbrook school, We'd get off the bus at Staniforth Road, and walk all along the 'cliffe. If I was really lucky we'd stop off in Banners. It was like aladdins cave to a three year old!

(plus it broke up the trek we'd do)

It always seemed such a long way to walk, to me, as a little girl of about three. I'd fix my eyes on Carbrook school, in the distance, and keep reminding myself that that was where we were heading, and that it was getting closer... it was probably just over a mile, but my little legs didn't half ache.

#3 syrup

syrup

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 07:50 PM

Was it Banners that had the tube system, Where you paid for your goods and the assistant put the money in a plastic container placed it in a tube and it sucked it through some pipes then returned with your change and receipt or am i thinking of some other shop??

#4 wisewoodowl

wisewoodowl

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:39 PM

Yes, that was Banners. That tube system used to fascinate me, simple things and simple minds, etc, etc :)

#5 detrius

detrius

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:37 PM

I remember the wooden escalators. I STR that Banners were about the first in Britain to get escalators.

As my mother and her family were Atterclievians :hihi: we spent a lot of ti,e in Banners. My mother used to walk me along attercliffe to my grandfathers house, by carbrook school, We'd get off the bus at Staniforth Road, and walk all along the 'cliffe. If I was really lucky we'd stop off in Banners. It was like aladdins cave to a three year old!

(plus it broke up the trek we'd do)

It always seemed such a long way to walk, to me, as a little girl of about three. I'd fix my eyes on Carbrook school, in the distance, and keep reminding myself that that was where we were heading, and that it was getting closer... it was probably just over a mile, but my little legs didn't half ache.

Hi Plaintalker

I know what you mean,that was one long walk.After coming home from the various WMC with my parents we would always walk at night.My Dad didn,t believe in taxis.He would give me a shoulder ride untill my legs were numb .and then i would have to try and walk up the ginnel.Its one long road Attercliffe road when your little

Thanks
Andy M :rolleyes:

#6 detrius

detrius

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:40 PM

Hi Plaintalker

I know what you mean,that was one long walk.After coming home from the various WMC with my parents we would always walk at night.My Dad didn,t believe in taxis.He would give me a shoulder ride untill my legs were numb .and then i would have to try and walk up the ginnel.Its one long road Attercliffe road when your little

Thanks
Andy M :rolleyes:

Hi Wisewood Owl and Syrup

Be great to get a photo of the money tube system now ey ?? Going to drop them a line and see

Thankyou

Andy m ;-)

#7 echo

echo

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:53 AM

Was it Banners that had the tube system, Where you paid for your goods and the assistant put the money in a plastic container placed it in a tube and it sucked it through some pipes then returned with your change and receipt or am i thinking of some other shop??

That system was called Lamson Paragon and still exists today. It can be seen in Wilkinsons, Morrisons etc. Now used by the check out people to get money from their tills to cashiers. I remember when it travelled on overhead wires in Woolworths, Haymarket.

#8 detrius

detrius

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:40 PM

That system was called Lamson Paragon and still exists today. It can be seen in Wilkinsons, Morrisons etc. Now used by the check out people to get money from their tills to cashiers. I remember when it travelled on overhead wires in Woolworths, Haymarket.

HI ECHO
I have just looked this system up on google,brilliant.tahnkyou so much for the info.exc reading

Best Wishes
Andy m
;-)

#9 dunsbyowl1867

dunsbyowl1867

Sheffield History Pro

• Sheffield History Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,703 posts
  • Location:Brightside, Ecclesfield, Firth Park now Lincolnshire

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:44 AM

George Cunningham's print of Banners.

attshops.jpg

#10 RichardB

RichardB

Sheffield History Pro

• Sheffield History Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,100 posts
  • Location:Upperthorpe, Walkley, Hillsborough, Walkley, the North East since 1981.
  • Interests:Making this place the best of its kind. Free, polite, helpful.

Your input requested via comments, questions, photos, memories etc.

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:26 PM

There used to be a "rejects" shop just down from Banners (1970's), towards town, what was it called ?, was there a Burton's on the corner also, opposite the Carlton pub ?

#11 detrius

detrius

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:56 PM

There used to be a "rejects" shop just down from Banners (1970's), towards town, what was it called ?, was there a Burton's on the corner also, opposite the Carlton pub ?

Hi richard b

The reject shop was and still is Hitchens Ex Catalogue shop(was once littlewoods) most of my clobber came from there.Think burtons was on the corner of Attercliffe/Staniforth road opposite the bank.Also one next to the adelphi cinema too

Cheers Matey

Andy m :rolleyes:

#12 plain talker

plain talker

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:02 AM

You are correct, on all three counts, Hitchens is still there,

The Burtons on the corner of Staniforth Rd is now a furniture shop, the Burtons by Zion Lane near the Adelphi is now a car-spares place.

The stonework on both buildings is quite ornate, a lot of effort went into making the buildings look special. it's a pity that buildings today don't have as much effort put into them, instead of being soulless, identikit boxes.

#13 Kathryn_1956

Kathryn_1956

Sheffield History New

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:47 AM

Hi

This is my first posting so I'm not sure whether this is right. I saw your enquiry and just had to reply, my mum worked for John Banners when she left school in 1948 she remembers them also having a shop near the bottom gate of the Northern General Hospital.
I too remember the tube system that took your money to the cash office as there were no tills in the shop. Does anyone also remember the Banners cheques you used to get from the agents that called at your house, you could only spend them in their shop and if they had to give you change it would be in Banners own currency (funny shaped brass colured coins)
If I get any other info I will let you know.

Kathryn

#14 dunsbyowl1867

dunsbyowl1867

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 5,703 posts
  • Location:Brightside, Ecclesfield, Firth Park now Lincolnshire

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:19 AM

Hi

I too remember the tube system that took your money to the cash office as there were no tills in the shop. Does anyone also remember the Banners cheques you used to get from the agents that called at your house, you could only spend them in their shop and if they had to give you change it would be in Banners own currency (funny shaped brass colured coins)

Kathryn

Hi Kathryn - thats interesting I didn't know about the other shop. Are these what you remember?

banners.jpg

#15 Kathryn_1956

Kathryn_1956

Sheffield History New

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:46 AM

That them, I was always so excited if I was given them to spend in the shop

Kathryn

#16 Bayleaf

Bayleaf

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:22 PM

Hi Andy,
A few facts you might not have come across.
John Banner founded the business in 1873, just as the population of Sheffield began to grow rapidly with the big steelworks opening.The shop moved to Attercliffe Road in 1894, and was replaced by the present building in 1934. It was the first building in Sheffield to have escalators. With the local population having dwindled with local housing being demolished in the 70's, so did the business, and it finally closed in 1980. I can remember going there in the fifties as a child. We lived at Firvale, and went shopping to Attercliffe, and Banners in particular, rather than going into town.
Bayleaf
(Info from Sheffield Shops and Shopping by Ruth Harman)

#17 gippeswyc

gippeswyc

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the great pics Andy. What a shame fine buildings like this are left neglected :-(

On the subject of tube systems and wooden esculators it reminded me very much of Coles on the Coles Corner site which had them. I too was fascinated as a kid in the late 1950s watching them wizz around the shop. The great thing about wooden esculators (not sure if the old Coles had them) is that they all had their "own song" and unique noise. I can almost here them now.

#18 loopysue

loopysue

Sheffield Historian

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:40 PM

Banners is the place I went for my school uniform, I remember wanting to go into 'town' for mine as everyone else said thats where they went....until I saw the 'top girl' from school at Banners picking hers!!!!!

#19 sigma

sigma

Sheffield History New

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:05 PM

Hi People

I,m looking for the history and memories of Banners Department store on Attercliffe Rd,Attercliffe.
Just done a piece on my youtube,Video 26 with my young memories.Please take a look and drop me a reply. :blink:

What are your memories,and memories at Christmas time,shopping there.

Thankyou

Andy :)

I remember Banners vividly at Christmas. The company I was apprenticed to Sheffield Electric put the christmas trees up on the overhang every year. Health and safety wasn't in it we used to swing off the roof to tie the trees down which were about 20ft tall. We then had to stick the lamps on - no mean feet. This happened every year until one windy year when the trees fell and took out the power lines that used to go down that side of Attercliffe Road. For some reason we were never asked back!! lol

#20 detrius

detrius

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:15 PM

Hi All

Sorry been a while since i have been back on the site.Exc stuff i like the xmas tree bit..just think it would be happening soon to what with xmas just around the corner.getting all nostalgic again.Down t Jacksons food hall in Banners for our turkey and trimmings lol

Cheers
Andy m

#21 lyndloo

lyndloo

Sheffield History New

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:04 PM

I worked at Banners in 1964!! in the boys dept my bosses name was Les Armour .we sold alot of Beatle Suits .remember the ones without a collar ? it was Beatle hysteria .. I was 18 at that time ...and I remember the tube system ... and the pink Provident Cheques and there was another one if I recall called Shillito?? it was Green ...I remember Mrs Newbould was the buyer for the materials and Patterns . and my sister Janice worked down on the ground floor on cosmetics .. her buyers name was Mrs Smith ... My best friend at that time was Mary Goddard .. she worked in Handbags dept ... we had so much fun back then ... ..

#22 ukelele lady

ukelele lady

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:09 PM

My mother use to take me and my sisters for our Whitsun tide clothes [once a year rig-out.]
Most families used Banners cheques, just another way of paying weekly.
Blanchards did a similar thing

This is a painting of old Banners done by my brother.

img146.jpg

#23 plain talker

plain talker

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:06 PM

That's a lovely painting, UL.

#24 sando

sando

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

Hi richard b

The reject shop was and still is Hitchens Ex Catalogue shop(was once littlewoods) most of my clobber came from there.Think burtons was on the corner of Attercliffe/Staniforth road opposite the bank.Also one next to the adelphi cinema too

Cheers Matey

Andy m :rolleyes:

was the building that used to be Hitchins a Woolworths prior to Hitchins, it has a woolies looking frontage

#25 RichardB

RichardB

Sheffield History Pro

• Sheffield History Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,100 posts
  • Location:Upperthorpe, Walkley, Hillsborough, Walkley, the North East since 1981.
  • Interests:Making this place the best of its kind. Free, polite, helpful.

Your input requested via comments, questions, photos, memories etc.

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:33 PM

and a fine painting it is, Thanks to you (and your brother, of course).

More Sheffield paintings, say I.

#26 lyndloo

lyndloo

Sheffield History New

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:51 PM

My mother use to take me and my sisters for our Whitson tide clothes [once a year rig-out.]
Most families used Banners cheques, just another way of paying weekly.
Blanchards did a similar thing

img146.jpg

I love your painting ... and do you remember Burgesses Mens shop next door? I worked there bak in 63! :rolleyes:

#27 beemerchez

beemerchez

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:39 PM

Posted Image
J Banners, 28th of Sept: 2010

#28 DaveH

DaveH

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 12,371 posts
  • Interests:This, That and the Other

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:33 PM

Posted Image

A decade or two back the top floor of this building (BANNERS) was converted into "THE SHEFFIELD BLITZ MUSEUM" and contained a wealth of mainly loaned and donated items from local people from the days of the Sheffield Blitz.

Then the museum suddenly closed and where the stuff went nobody seems to know, it's a real mystery.

The top floor then became what laughingly became known as an "antiques bazaar" but it was really complete sets of house clearance goods

#29 transit

transit

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

A decade or two back the top floor of this building (BANNERS) was converted into "THE SHEFFIELD BLITZ MUSEUM" and contained a wealth of mainly loaned and donated items from local people from the days of the Sheffield Blitz.

Then the museum suddenly closed and where the stuff went nobody seems to know, it's a real mystery.

The top floor then became what laughingly became known as an "antiques bazaar" but it was really complete sets of house clearance goods

....most of the stuff used in the Sheffield Blitz display , is now housed and on display at the South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum in Doncaster (near the Keepmoat Stadium / Lakeside, M18, jnc 3) ;-)
Details here....
http://www.aeroventu...rg.uk/index.php

#30 DaveH

DaveH

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 12,371 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:05 PM

....most of the stuff used in the Sheffield Blitz display , is now housed and on display at the South Yorkshire Aircraft Museum in Doncaster (near the Keepmoat Stadium / Lakeside, M18, jnc 3) ;-)
Details here....
http://www.aeroventu...rg.uk/index.php

Thanks transit,

It may be worth a visit to see if my wifes grandfathers old ARP stuff is still in the collection.

However, I find it annoying that a display on the SHEFFIELD blitz has to be housed at DONCASTER :angry:

Didn't Doncaster get blitzed in the war?

It was after all a major industrial railway town at the time.

If it did it could have its own Blitz museum and let us have ours back.

#31 hilldweller

hilldweller

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Interests:Local History.
    Exploring the countryside in my chariot (at 4 mph) Exploring the countryside in my other chariot (at 30 to 70 mph)
    All things technical.
    D.I.Y.
    Dressing in the "Compo Simmonite" designer range of clothes.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

Posted Image

I suppose there must be many working-class folk of a certain age who remember "Banners Cheques" & "Banners Money".
If you were a bit short of the readies you could obtain a "Banners Cheque" from the "Tally Man" and pay for it over many weeks at a high rate of interest.
You could only spend this at Banners and instead of getting your change in coin of the realm, you got it in "Banners Money" which were aluminium and brass coins in the usual denominations. You had to watch your change in the 50's/60's in case it contained "Banners Money".
I remember the trip down Attercliffe Road because the tram drivers used to swing the controllers right over and the trip must have been the fastest tram journey in Sheffield. It was great fun for a young lad with the bumping and swaying but I don't think the grown-ups were very keen.
HD

#32 hilldweller

hilldweller

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
    Exploring the countryside in my chariot (at 4 mph) Exploring the countryside in my other chariot (at 30 to 70 mph)
    All things technical.
    D.I.Y.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

This page is left intentionally blank.

(I managed to post the same item twice----------somehow)

Sorry :o :o :o

hilldweller

#33 ukelele lady

ukelele lady

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

Thanks transit,

It may be worth a visit to see if my wifes grandfathers old ARP stuff is still in the collection.

However, I find it annoying that a display on the SHEFFIELD blitz has to be housed at DONCASTER :angry:

Didn't Doncaster get blitzed in the war?

It was after all a major industrial railway town at the time.

If it did it could have its own Blitz museum and let us have ours back.

I agree with you Dave , I know of many who never got their " on loan "
back. I also had a few ideas where certain things went as I spent quite
a lot of time at the place.
And Dave , they called it " TIMES GONE BY "

img222.jpg

#34 SteveHB

SteveHB

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 9,541 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:50 PM

Topics merged

#35 DaveH

DaveH

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 12,371 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:04 PM

I suppose there must be many working-class folk of a certain age who remember "Banners Cheques" & "Banners Money".
If you were a bit short of the readies you could obtain a "Banners Cheque" from the "Tally Man" and pay for it over many weeks at a high rate of interest.
You could only spend this at Banners and instead of getting your change in coin of the realm, you got it in "Banners Money" which were aluminium and brass coins in the usual denominations. You had to watch your change in the 50's/60's in case it contained "Banners Money".
I remember the trip down Attercliffe Road because the tram drivers used to swing the controllers right over and the trip must have been the fastest tram journey in Sheffield. It was great fun for a young lad with the bumping and swaying but I don't think the grown-ups were very keen.
HD

I can vaguely remember Banners cheques and money as a kid, but I also have this vague memory that Banners on Attercliffe Road wasn't the only place that they could be used.

Was there another shop either on snig hill or somewhere out along Langsett / Penistone Roads out towards Hillsborough (may even have been at Hillsborough) where Banners cheques / money could be used?

#36 DaveH

DaveH

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 12,371 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:06 PM

I agree with you Dave , I know of many who never got their " on loan "
back. I also had a few ideas where certain things went as I spent quite
a lot off time at the place.
And Dave , they called it " TIMES GONE BY "

img222.jpg

Yes it was called Times Gone By now you come to mention it.

But everyone seemed to call it "The Blitz Museum"

#37 hilldweller

hilldweller

Sheffield History Pro

• PipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
    All things technical.
    D.I.Y.

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:02 PM

I can vaguely remember Banners cheques and money as a kid, but I also have this vague memory that Banners on Attercliffe Road wasn't the only place that they could be used.

Was there another shop either on snig hill or somewhere out along Langsett / Penistone Roads out towards Hillsborough (may even have been at Hillsborough) where Banners cheques / money could be used?

I think you are referring to Blanchards which used to be mainly based in an old building on Infirmary Road (now replaced by Windsors Shoes).
If my memory serves me correctly you could use "Provident Cheques" as I think they were called there, as well as at Banners. Blanchards was quite an old fashioned place with a Lamson Vacuum System to the cashiers office from each counter. You paid the assistant who put the sales chit and your cash in a brass cylinder and place it up the spout and eventually (sometimes several minutes later) you got your change and receipt.
Another place which took Provident Cheques was a very old shop called I think Laceys situated where the bottom entrance to John Lewis is today.
The interior was straight out of Dickens with a number of floors reached by ancient wooden stairs and ramps. Even as a small lad I rember thinking what a wonder that it hadn't burnt down.
hilldweller

#38 johnbaz

johnbaz

Sheffield Historian

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Guns, guitars, knives and bonsai

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

I can remember Banners with their strange shaped coins, i can also remember the vacuum transport thingymajig, we had the exact same thing where i work (Sheffield Forgemasters), it was linked from the light railway foundry to the labs in the melting shop and was used to send samples of the steel for analysis..

Banners always reminded me of an old museum, it had the same musty smell to it, it was also the first time i'd ever sen elevators and the moving stairs (i was only about 5 years old at the time lol )

John :)

#39 gill smith

gill smith

Sheffield Historian

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:57 PM

I love your painting ... and do you remember Burgesses Mens shop next door? I worked there bak in 63! :rolleyes:

i remember burgesses, do you remember march the tailor just after banners , and Rickeys on the corner near the Adelpi opposite the baths. Posted Image

#40 gill smith

gill smith

Sheffield Historian

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

I worked at Banners in 1964!! in the boys dept my bosses name was Les Armour .we sold alot of Beatle Suits .remember the ones without a collar ? it was Beatle hysteria .. I was 18 at that time ...and I remember the tube system ... and the pink Provident Cheques and there was another one if I recall called Shillito?? it was Green ...I remember Mrs Newbould was the buyer for the materials and Patterns . and my sister Janice worked down on the ground floor on cosmetics .. her buyers name was Mrs Smith ... My best friend at that time was Mary Goddard .. she worked in Handbags dept ... we had so much fun back then ... ..

Posted Image I worked at Banners 1963 i worked in there offices but didn't like it ,one day a week we had to work on the tubes pushing them back to the department, after they had put the change in them , I then had a transfere to the ladies coat department , i thought that it was Mrs Raybould but i might be mistaken.