New Blitz Book?

Bayleaf

Don't know if anyone's flagged this up. I think it's brand new (published last month?)

Sheffield's Date with Hitler

SHEFFIELD'S DATE WITH HITLER!!! :blink::unsure::huh::blink:

What a stupid title for a serious book :o

Who thought that one up <_<

Sounds more like a news headline from a daily tabloid coined by a third rate journalist who had failed CSE English. <_<

SHEFFIELD'S DATE WITH HITLER!!! :blink::unsure::huh::blink:

What a stupid title for a serious book :o

Who thought that one up <_<

Sounds more like a news headline from a daily tabloid coined by a third rate journalist who had failed CSE English. <_<

Well, it is published by The Star

Well, it is published by The Star

Hmmm....

Usually they are very good but I have seen some rubbish written in there over the years as well.

One night in January 1982 the temperature in Sheffield fell to -21 degrees Celsius.

The Star headline, going for a grab their attention in shock - horror style was

SHEFFIELD IS COLDER THAN THE SOUTH POLE

OK, so it was.

But they deliberately failed to mention that January is the middle of summer in the southern hemisphere and so the south pole was probably at it's hottest.

Don't know if anyone's flagged this up. I think it's brand new (published last month?)

Sheffield's Date with Hitler

I bought the book as my wifes uncle Arthur Moore was an AFS fireman killed in the Blitz. I was disappointed that the book lacked any detailed facts & figures - no mention of Arthur but the photos are very good. I was surprised though to see a picture of my gt grandma, Elizabeth Bellamy nee Pigott who was killed in the Zeppellin raid of Sep 1916. The newspaper article the book quotes got it slightly wrong - it wasn't her child she was looking after when she was killed ( she was 56 at the time) it was my mum ( her grandchild) aged 9 months.

Are there any good factual books around about teh Blitz - maybe mentioning Arthur Moore?

John

I bought the book as my wifes uncle Arthur Moore was an AFS fireman killed in the Blitz. I was disappointed that the book lacked any detailed facts & figures - no mention of Arthur but the photos are very good. I was surprised though to see a picture of my gt grandma, Elizabeth Bellamy nee Pigott who was killed in the Zeppellin raid of Sep 1916. The newspaper article the book quotes got it slightly wrong - it wasn't her child she was looking after when she was killed ( she was 56 at the time) it was my mum ( her grandchild) aged 9 months.

Are there any good factual books around about teh Blitz - maybe mentioning Arthur Moore?

John

The best is probably Raiders over Sheffield by Mary Walton & Joe Lamb. Unfortunately it's been out of print for some time, but copies turn up regularly on eBay. There are also still copies available for loan from the City Libraries.

No mention of Arthur Moore though I'm afraid.

John

The book Sheffield Blitz bt Paul License, published by Star Publications is good.

At the back it has a "Roll of Honour" of all those killed in the Sheffield raids.

Arthur Moore is listed in it.

The book Sheffield Blitz bt Paul License, published by Star Publications is good.

At the back it has a "Roll of Honour" of all those killed in the Sheffield raids.

Arthur Moore is listed in it.

Thanks all for replies