Well I Thought It Was Funny

hilldweller

Scientists say that you should never break wind in an echo-chamber because you'll never hear the last of it. :) :) :)

Quote from article in Saturday's Daily Mail

HD

Scientists say that you should never break wind in an echo-chamber because you'll never hear the last of it. :) :) :)

HD

I read the Mail yesterday and must have missed that one.

Reminds me of an old Stan Freiderg recording (his most famous recording being "The Banana Boat song (Dah - Oh)" with the "It's too loud man, would you mind leaving the studio" and "I come in through the window" quips)

In this one, called "Heartbreak Hotel" he satires Elvis and the outstanding quips are

"Can I have a little more echo on my voice"

(sound of breaking wind), - "tore my jeans, - third pair today"

and, at the end of the song

"That's too much echo. echo, echo"

"Turn (turn) that (that) thing (thing) off, off, off, off"

HD

And dont ever break wind in a wet suit.

Billy Connoly on one of his audiences "I felt as welcome as a fart in a space suit "

Reminds me of the story of Americas first astronaut, Alan Sheppard who made a 15 minute suborbital flight in May 1961, - 6 weeks after Yuri Gagarin had claimed the coveted title of "first man in space" for the USSR with a full 89 minute orbital flight.

Although Sheppards flight was short, once he had been suited up and strapped in to the Mercury capsule on top of the Redstone launch rocket there were long delays in waiting for the actual launch. So long that Sheppard got a call of nature and needed to pee.

Rather than get him out and unsuit him mission control told him to "just urinate in the suit" which he did.

Sensors in the suit detected this and set alarms off, which were cancelled as it was a "known event"

The rest of the mission went off without problems.

HD

All this elevated discussion puts me in mind of an incident that happened to me more than fourty years ago in my bachelor days.

We were driving to Blackpool in my cousins old Wolsley 6/110, a rather nice Farina styled car with a Walnut dash and push-button overdrive.

Right on the top of Woodhead the car was suddenly filled with a horrendous organic stench.

Everbody protested their innocence and accusations and denials were exchanged as the windows were all wound down.

After a few minutes the pong re-appeared and tempers became frayed. Eventually we worked out that it might be something to do with the car. We pulled up and the lads piled out to look under the bonnet, in the boot and under the car. No sign of anything wrong.

We piled back in and for a while the problem seemed to diminish.

Just as we were motoring through Tintwistle the problem came back again big-time and the car interior began to fill with smoke. We all piled out this time and at this point I noticed a red light on the dashboard. Closer inspection revealed it to be the metal bezel of the dash mounted cigarette lighter which was glowing red hot. The awful smell was the thick layer of polyethylene varnish on the wooden dash which was melting and dripping on to the floor. The round hole where the lighter fitted was now a charred oval hole twice the former size. My cousin found some pliers in the boot and I pulled the glowing unit out of the dash and cut the wires. We never did establish which herbert or herbertesse had pushed in the lighter but the bi-metal release mechanism had obviously failed to release the lighter. My cousin was heartbroken with the big burnt hole in his burr-walnut dashboard.

HD

We never did establish which herbert or herbertesse had pushed in the lighter but the bi-metal release mechanism had obviously failed to release the lighter. My cousin was heartbroken with the big burnt hole in his burr-walnut dashboard.

HD

Almost the same happened to me. It was a Humber Scepter, very posh with a cig lighter in the rear center consul, right behind the front seats. My cousin was sprawled with his legs stretched forwards and his foot on the lighter, pushing it in. We did the same, looked in the boot, under the car, under the bonnet until we eventually worked it out.