Places Of Religious Worship

RichardB

Well, we are looking for 199 Places of Religious Worship in Sheffield, as of November 1881. Anyone care to start ? :rolleyes:

Well, we are looking for 199 Places of Religious Worship in Sheffield, as of November 1881. Anyone care to start ? :rolleyes:

Here is Hughw's A-Z of Anglican premises

and the Methodists

Bear in mind we are looking for 199 Places of Religious Worship so wider than just those two ... and only in 1881.

{Thanks Steve for finding the existing lists}

Here is Hughw's A-Z of Anglican premises

and the Methodists

Bear in mind we are looking for 199 Places of Religious Worship so wider than just those two ... and only in 1881.

{Thanks Steve for finding the existing lists}

The Wesleyan Reform Union has had its HQ in Sheffield for many years.

I attended Grimesthorpe WR church on Upwell Lane ( known to all in Grimesthorpe as "Reform Chapel") which dates back to a Church/schoolroom being built in 1851 and when this was outgrown the present church was built in 1887 with the older buildling being a hall for social activities & Sunday School.

There was also Ebenezer WR Chapel on Bramall Lane but was demolished sometime in the late 20th century. My gt grandad was a local preacher there around 1870/1880.

Other old WR churches in the area which would date to around that time still open are :

- Greenhead (Greenhead Lane, ChapeltownSheffield.)

- Mayfield (Mayfield Road, Fulwood, Sheffield.S10 4PR - built 1872)

- Oughtibridge (Church Street. Oughtibridge.Sheffield. S35 0FW)

- Owlerton (Borough Road Owlerton Sheffield S6 2AY)

- Philadelphia (Upperthorpe Rd. Sheffield. S6 3NA) - built in past 30 years or so to replace original one which I recall going to occasionally as a child

- Richmond ( Richmond Road.Sheffield.S13 8LT)

- Sharrow Vale (215 Sharrow Vale Road.Sheffield.S11 8ZB)

- Coal Aston (Cross Lane. Coal Aston.S18 3AL)

The lack of an available detailed history of the WR church in teh area means its difficult to establish when each was built. There will certainly be others in the Sheffield area which have now closed .

John

Thank you for your input JohnM, here's the list of Wesleyan Reform premises I have (figures show "Seatings", "Morning attendance" and "Evening attendance for 20th November 1881):

Owlerton 500, 50, 126 Special services in neighbouring chapels are thought to have affected the attendance)

Watery Street 450, 80, 133

Weston Street 800, 109, 201 (A mission service is hold on Monday morning)

Philadelphia 250, 83, 148

Attercliffe 300, 114, 176 (A series of special revival services is being held, but the congregations are stated to have been average ones; an afternoon service was attended by 80 adults and 300 children)

Ebenezer, Bramall Lane 250, 62, 146 (Special mission services were held on Sunday)

Gower Street 274, 104, 210 (Prayer meeting on Sunday morning at seven, attended by 20; 94 present at prayer meeting after evening service)

Grimesthorpe 384, 53, 102

Mount Gerlaim (this one has me completely lost) 200, 26, 66

Ebenezer, Carbrook 300 (difficult to read), 56, 104

Sharrow Vale 180, 24, 46 (A number of the members attended revival services, which partly accounted for small attendances)

Hampden View 60, -, 40

Mount Olivet (that's me lost again) 72, 24, 21 (This was the first preaching room erected when Walkley was opened out by building socities. Many other more convenient and attractive places have since been built, and for some time Mount Olivet has been only thinly attended)

Mayfield Preaching Room, Fulwood 100, -, 49 (The room is used morning and afternoon as a Sunday school, and preaching at night only)

Darnall 200, -, 52

----------------------------------

Any (brief) details about Weslayan versus Wesleyan Reform for idiots like me that don't know please ?

Totaling 3720 possible sittings; attended by 785 at Morning Service, 1649 at Evening Service and a total of 2434 attendees.

Thank you for your input JohnM, here's the list of Wesleyan Reform premises I have (figures show "Seatings", "Morning attendance" and "Evening attendance for 20th November 1881):

Owlerton 500, 50, 126 Special services in neighbouring chapels are thought to have affected the attendance)

Watery Street 450, 80, 133

Weston Street 800, 109, 201 (A mission service is hold on Monday morning)

Philadelphia 250, 83, 148

Attercliffe 300, 114, 176 (A series of special revival services is being held, but the congregations are stated to have been average ones; an afternoon service was attended by 80 adults and 300 children)

Ebenezer, Bramall Lane 250, 62, 146 (Special mission services were held on Sunday)

Gower Street 274, 104, 210 (Prayer meeting on Sunday morning at seven, attended by 20; 94 present at prayer meeting after evening service)

Grimesthorpe 384, 53, 102

Mount Gerlaim (this one has me completely lost) 200, 26, 66

Ebenezer, Carbrook 300 (difficult to read), 56, 104

Sharrow Vale 180, 24, 46 (A number of the members attended revival services, which partly accounted for small attendances)

Hampden View 60, -, 40

Mount Olivet (that's me lost again) 72, 24, 21 (This was the first preaching room erected when Walkley was opened out by building socities. Many other more convenient and attractive places have since been built, and for some time Mount Olivet has been only thinly attended)

Mayfield Preaching Room, Fulwood 100, -, 49 (The room is used morning and afternoon as a Sunday school, and preaching at night only)

Darnall 200, -, 52

----------------------------------

Any (brief) details about Weslayan versus Wesleyan Reform for idiots like me that don't know please ?

Totaling 3720 possible sittings; attended by 785 at Morning Service, 1649 at Evening Service and a total of 2434 attendees.

Thats great RichardB. Where did you get the info from? I have been in touch with the General Secretary of the WR Union a number of times over the past 5 years or so - he is at their Sheffield HQ & could not provide me with any detailed historical info on churches at all.

To answer the question about how the Wesleyan Reform Union came about & what it is I attach a talk I gave to a Methodist Church group on the Wesleyan Reform Union 4 years ago.

wesleyreform.doc

Thats great RichardB. Where did you get the info from? I have been in touch with the General Secretary of the WR Union a number of times over the past 5 years or so - he is at their Sheffield HQ & could not provide me with any detailed historical info on churches at all.

To answer the question about how the Wesleyan Reform Union came about & what it is I attach a talk I gave to a Methodist Church group on the Wesleyan Reform Union 4 years ago.

There may be a couple on here :)

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=5316&st=0&p=49105&hl=catholic&fromsearch=1&#entry49105

Forgot to mention it is MOUNT GERIZEM not Mount Gerlaim !! Mt Gerizem is close to the West Bank city of Nablus & is mentioned in Deuteronomy chapter 27 verse 12 as being the place where Moses set up the stones on which were written the commandments. In Joshua chapter 9 verse 33 Joshua sets up his alter there.

John

Thats great RichardB. Where did you get the info from?

If I tell you (perfectly happy to do that) are you willing and able to make something of the source ? Would be nice to have some knowledgeable input on the subject to make the most of it. PM me please.

Be nice to see another thread with a bit extra input :rolleyes: from someone that knows what they are talking about, I can't blag my way on this, or sport, or transport, or cinemas, or, or, or .... I've done OK on some other stuff, but there is a limit.