Barber Walker Coal Company

popt

One of my family worked as a miner for the Barber Walker Coal Company in the 1920's.

Can anyone give me a potted history of the company and what happened to it.

For some unknown reason he left mining in 1928 to join up in the army and unfortunately was killed in the air raids on Malta in 1942.

Any information about the company would be appreciated.

PopT

One of my family worked as a miner for the Barber Walker Coal Company in the 1920's.

For some unknown reason he left mining in 1928 to join up in the army and unfortunately was killed in the air raids on Malta in 1942.

PopT

The company was formed in 1787, by Thomas Barber (born at Greasley Castle Farm, Derbyshire) and Thomas Walker, (from Bilborough in Nottinghamshire.)

Continued until nationalization in 1947.

There's a book - 250 Years in Coal, The History of Barber Walker and Company Limited colliery proprietors in Nottinghamshire & Yorkshire, 1680 - 1946.

Whitelock, G.C.H. (1957)

Link - Google Books

Guest tombarber

Hi

My name is Tom Barber, and I am writing a book on Major Philip Barber, the last Chairman of Barber Walker & Co before nationalisation in 1947. I have a good deal of information on the company, and would be delighted to share this with you - and particularly if you have any particular anecdotes or information from your family member who worked there way back when.

Best wishes

Tom

PopT

Hi

My name is Tom Barber, and I am writing a book on Major Philip Barber, the last Chairman of Barber Walker & Co before nationalisation in 1947. I have a good deal of information on the company, and would be delighted to share this with you - and particularly if you have any particular anecdotes or information from your family member who worked there way back when.

Best wishes

Tom

Wecome to the site Tom.

Is there a connection with you and the Barber Walker & Co?

It will be interesting reading when you have it complete. Good Luck. :)

Guest tombarber

Wecome to the site Tom.

Is there a connection with you and the Barber Walker & Co?

It will be interesting reading when you have it complete. Good Luck. :)

Thanks! I'm Major Barber's great-grandson, and I have only recently become interested in the family history as I was not brought up in Nottinghamshire. If anyone ever wants - or has - any info on Barber Walker & Co, please point them in my direction!

When I eventually get the book written I'll let you know!

Best wishes, and thanks for the site - really useful way of gathering info/memories etc.

Best wishes

Tom