Railway Mystery

Stuart0742

Where is easy Sheffield Midland

When

What is the locomotive

The train is leaving southwards from what is now platform 5

The locomotive is Johnson Class 2P 4-4-0 468, built by the Midland Railway in the late 19th century and modified at some point between 1912 and 1923, It is carrying a 19B shed plate (Millhouses) and if the lamp code is correct it is operating a stopping passenger service, double heading with another of the same type (probably). As the loco is carrying the number 468 it is likely that it is before nationalisation in 1948, when LMS locos were renumbered into a series starting at 40000.

The locomotive is Johnson Class 2P 4-4-0 468, built by the Midland Railway in the late 19th century and modified at some point between 1912 and 1923, It is carrying a 19B shed plate (Millhouses) and if the lamp code is correct it is operating a stopping passenger service, double heading with another of the same type (probably). As the loco is carrying the number 468 it is likely that it is before nationalisation in 1948, when LMS locos were renumbered into a series starting at 40000.

A bit vague madannie. Can't you add a bit of detail. lol

You've made no mention of what the driver had in his "pack up" for instance. :P

A bit vague madannie. Can't you add a bit of detail. lol

You've made no mention of what the driver had in his "pack up" for instance. :P

Can't tell you about the driver's lunch, as I have no idea exactly where the train was going and when. I bet he had an enamel can of railway tea, though. lol . The railway could not run without cans of tea.

I have no idea how you come by all that detail, it's just a train-thing to me, going ---> thataway; mind you, Transport and me - never the closest of allies :rolleyes:

Bus, train, bike, legs (I can differentiate between hairy and non-hairy), boat, tram (often confused with a bus), tractor, car, truck and horse - that's my limit.

Can't tell you about the driver's lunch, as I have no idea exactly where the train was going and when. I bet he had an enamel can of railway tea, though. lol . The railway could not run without cans of tea.

In one of these.

In the "Olden Days" everybody took his mashing can to work.

I tried to find a picture of an original old one, but this repro is all I could find.

For those who don't remember, a mashing was a little paper parcel containing enough tea and sugar for one billy full. They would be measured out at home and a days supply of the parcels taken to work each day.

A medicine type bottle, with a cork sealed with grease proof paper, was used for a days supply of milk.

The can it's self was put on the forge, brazier, stove or whatever other type of heat source, and used as both kettle and teapot.

To aid the mashing it was swung around in large circles by it's wire handle.

This should be easier, when did the Midland Station loose its roof (as shown in the photo)

I've got one of those mashtins in my shed, it was left by one of the previous owners so might have a bit of actual history of its own. Currently holds some screws etc.

Secondly, in the original picture there is a bridge crossing the tracks just behind the loco. It is still there and it has always puzzled me why it hasn't been considered as the main through fare as part of all the upsets recently with ticket barriers on the new foot bridge? Presumably it is currently unsafe but that would be relatively easy to fix.

I've got one of those mashtins in my shed, it was left by one of the previous owners so might have a bit of actual history of its own. Currently holds some screws etc.

Secondly, in the original picture there is a bridge crossing the tracks just behind the loco. It is still there and it has always puzzled me why it hasn't been considered as the main through fare as part of all the upsets recently with ticket barriers on the new foot bridge? Presumably it is currently unsafe but that would be relatively easy to fix.

Mike

The bridge in the photo is long since gone, you can see the change in brickwork up above platform 8 (at street level).

There is still a "public" bridge in use, it is situated behind the photographer, roughly at the end of the current platforms. The main problem with this bridge is that the city centre side is above street level on Cross Turner St, therefore it involves steps. Like you say an ideal route through to the city centre.

This should be easier, when did the Midland Station loose its roof (as shown in the photo)

Autumn 1956 according to Bob Pixton in "North Midland: Portrait of a famous route". Wikipedia also gives the year as 1956, but I have not yet found any other source for this date.

Autumn 1956 according to Bob Pixton in "North Midland: Portrait of a famous route". Wikipedia also gives the year as 1956, but I have not yet found any other source for this date.

Thanks for the info MA, surprised the roof lasted so late.

Thanks for the info MA, surprised the roof lasted so late.

468 would have been the loco's original Midland Railway number, would it have bee renumbered by the LMS at the grouping in 1923.

Trying to date the photo.

In one of these.

I tried to find a picture of an original old one, but this repro is all I could find.

Wow that brings back memories, every time I saw one as a kid they were always

black marks on them where the enamel paint had chipped off.

Many were brown tea stained inside and am I right in thinking they were also

some in an olive green colour? [ didn't show the tea stains ]

Wow that brings back memories, every time I saw one as a kid they were always

black marks on them where the enamel paint had chipped off.

Many were brown tea stained inside and am I right in thinking they were also

some in an olive green colour? [ didn't show the tea stains ]

I remember White ones with blue trim, Brown ones, and Blue ones, but I suppose there were other colours as well.

468 would have been the loco's original Midland Railway number, would it have bee renumbered by the LMS at the grouping in 1923.

Trying to date the photo.

It kept it's Midland Railway number 468 on grouping in 1923, the only renumbering being on nationalisation, when it became 40468. It was scrapped in 1950, and was not allocated to Millhouses in 1948. Still digging around for more allocation details.

In one of these.

For those who don't remember, a mashing was a little paper parcel containing enough tea and sugar for one billy full. They would be measured out at home and a days supply of the parcels taken to work each day.

A medicine type bottle, with a cork sealed with grease proof paper, was used for a days supply of milk.

The can it's self was put on the forge, brazier, stove or whatever other type of heat source, and used as both kettle and teapot.

To aid the mashing it was swung around in large circles by it's wire handle.

I seem to remember my dad also having as well as the mashing can a small oval shaped tin about 3 inches long with a push on lid at each end (one marked TEA and the other marked SUGAR) and a division in the centre to create 2 compartments. Clearly dating from the time when all tea was sold as loose leaf rather than bags.

It kept it's Midland Railway number 468 on grouping in 1923, the only renumbering being on nationalisation, when it became 40468. It was scrapped in 1950, and was not allocated to Millhouses in 1948. Still digging around for more allocation details.

Then ex Midland Railway Johnson Class 2P 4-4-0 468, Date not know

Now Class 158 diesel multiple unit 12/05/2010

Mike

The bridge in the photo is long since gone, you can see the change in brickwork up above platform 8 (at street level).

There is still a "public" bridge in use, it is situated behind the photographer, roughly at the end of the current platforms. The main problem with this bridge is that the city centre side is above street level on Cross Turner St, therefore it involves steps. Like you say an ideal route through to the city centre.

Mike

This is the bridge I referred to