Abbeydale House

Stuart0742

Abbeydale House on Barmouth Road, in recent years part of the Abbey Glen Laundry, does anybody know the full history of this building

It gets a mention in the Methodist church Topic

http://www.sheffield...indpost&p=11184

I am sure I have read more about it somewhere

Abbeydale House from Barmouth Rd and Falmouth Rd, Courtesy of Google SV

Abbeydale House on Barmouth Road, in recent years part of the Abbey Glen Laundry, does anybody know the full history of this building

It gets a mention in the Methodist church Topic

http://www.sheffield...indpost&p=11184

I am sure I have read more about it somewhere

Nope, can't place it. However William Bryers was a "Laundry Proprietor" on Barmouth Road in 1905 (home 45 Falmouth Road); 1911 (living at 28 Carter Knowle Road) and 1919 (home was then 145 Ringinglow Road).

Guest Gramps

Abbeydale House was built about 1850 by John Rodgers, then then head of the cutlery firm Joseph Rodgers & Sons Ltd. Ownership later passed to John Firth.

The 1849 White's directory shows living at Abbeydale House, Wm Cockayne Draper son of T B Cockaynes Angel St

Illustrated London News 1889

Mr William Tyzack late of Abbeydale House near Sheffield

Guest Gramps

Right...just goes to show you can't trust a photographer with the facts. :rolleyes: My info was taken from the caption to a photo of the house in Peter Harvey's Abbeydale and Millhouses Vol 2.

Thomas Bagshaw Cockayne lived at Gatfield House but I don't know what the relationship was with William.

But from a 1852 Sheffield directory....

Cockayne Thomas Bagshaw, draper; house: Gatefield House, Abbeydale road

Cockayne William sen., gentleman, West bank, Clarkson street

Cockayne, William jun. draper; house: Norton Lees

Rodgers John, merchant & Queen's cutler; house: Abbeydale road - it doesn't say Abbeydale House but I suspect it is. The Queen's Cutler wouldn't be living in a Victorian semi.

Right...just goes to show you can't trust a photographer with the facts. :rolleyes: My info was taken from the caption to a photo of the house in Peter Harvey's Abbeydale and Millhouses Vol 2.

Thomas Bagshaw Cockayne lived at Gatfield House but I don't know what the relationship was with William.

Thomas Bagshaw and William Cockayne, Drapers &c., 1 Angel Street (1833)

Thomas Bagshaw Cockayne, Linen Draper, 1 Angel Street (1841)

Thomas B Cockayne, Draper at Sheffield, Gatefield, Abbey Dale (1849 - as mentioned & 1852)

Abbeydale House, built 1848, Grade II Listed Building. 

s05497.jpg.9b84118cc4abb60de3ba1eb980940d4e.jpgs05497

Abbeydale House, Barmouth Road / Falmouth Road. 1884

Picture taken from Sheffield Illustrated, Vol. 2 (For notes, see Page 60, Vol. 2) In 19th century Sheffield, the most famous cutlery firm was that of Joseph Rodgers and Sons. Much of the success was due to his son John Rodgers. In 1849 John built himself a new house of polished Anston stone in the Italian style of architecture, to the designs of Rooke Harrison. He died ten years later, and his nephew Robert Newbould took over the running of the business. Newbould built a new house a little further up Abbeydale Road in 1851, calling it Abbeydale Grange. It was taken over between 1903 and 1906 and became the registered offices and admin Department of Snowite Laundry, the company's boardroom being on the first floor.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y12784&pos=7&action=zoom&id=85622

Ground floor plan of Abbeydale House

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y12785&pos=8&action=zoom&id=85623

This painting showing Abbeydale House (the building with smoke coming out from the chimney) was more than likely painted in the early 1850s. John Rodgers moved into his newly built property in 1850, from his old home Hillsborough Hall.

Abbeydale House (2).jpg

• Like 3