Open Air Theatre

Guest rcolley

Guest rcolley

I see from the 1951 map that there used to be an open air theatre in Graves Park. Near Meadow Head, just below the golf course.

Despite spending my formative years in Graves Park, I have no recollection of theis theatre.

Does anybody know anything about it.

Link to .. picturesheffield

Link to .. picturesheffield 02

'In 1927, a scheme was approved to convert a quarry in Cobnar Wood, originally the site of the old Norton Rifle Range, into an open-air theatre.

Around the natural cavity, at one end of which there was a wall of stone, the ground rose steeply and was covered with trees and bushes. The undergrowth was cleared away and the ground leveled.

A platform was erected under the quarry wall with seating arranged to face this stage.

During the summer months the Parks Committee arranged a variety of theatrical events, including orchestral and chamber music, bands, and plays.

There were also plans to build permanent dressing rooms in the vicinity and a platform-roof for rainy evenings, but it is unclear if these schemes materialized, as contemporary photographs of the theatre show no evidence of them. The location of the open-air theatre is now overgrown.'

Source: www.gravespark.org/Graves%20Park.rtf