Allott Family History

Stuart0742

Received by email

Good evening,

I trust that you are well. I only became aware of the wealth of historical information that is being posted on the Sheffield History Forum Web-Site whilst researching a former member of our family, as part of our family history research.

We have only very recently started doing this. In essence, what started as a speculative trawl of the World Wide Web, revealed that a certain [16367] George Allott of Darnall [the late brother of my wife's grandfather], killed in action in France on the 16th April 1918, [whilst serving with D Company, 6th Battalion, York and Lancaster Regiment] was listed on the Holy Trinity Roll of Honour, Darnall. All Fell. 2008 Version, [article posted Sep 24 2008, 12:15 PM].

A further trawl also revealed that the name of George Allott is very probably recorded on a family grave marker in Tinsley Park Cemetery. [article posted Nov 10 2008, 11:17 AM]. The article being called "Son of the Above, Sheffield's Great War Monumental Inscriptions". ALLOTT. Tinsley Park Cemy.

Also GEORGE, their beloved son killed in action April 16: 1918.

ALLOTT. Tinsley Park Cemy.

Also PTE. P ALLOTT, husband of the above who fell in action May 8th 1915, aged 30 years.

I am not a registered member-user of the Sheffieldhistory forum at this stage. Never the less, I am greatly interested in learning more about our past family members and as a consequence, I would be greatly obliged if you could assist in these enquiries.

Kindest regards;

Niall Jordan

Can anybody help or find further information

Hi

Not too sure of what info is wanted,but there

is WW1 army service record on Ancestry for George Allott (16367) Yrk&Lancs reg.

if this is whats wanted let me know and i will get them.

Sylvia

Guest Unitedite

Hi

Not too sure of what info is wanted,but there

is WW1 army service record on Ancestry for George Allott (16367) Yrk&Lancs reg.

if this is whats wanted let me know and i will get them.

Sylvia

Hi Sylvia

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have already been able to obtain George Allott’s Service Records, which from their poor condition are very clearly part of the “burnt records”. I am in the process of deciphering these and from what i have gleaned so far, George joined up on 03-11-1914, went to France with the 8th Service Battalion, York and Lancaster on 27-08-1915.

When the 8th went to Italy in November 1917, I think that George returned to the UK joining the 3rd Reserve Battalion. He returned to France in 18-03-1918 with the 6th Service Battalion and he was subsequently killed in action 16-04-1918.

A semi-decipherable notation on his record, just beneath the KIA record seems to read as Auchy, which might just possibly be a reference to the place where he was killed. Auchy-Les-Mines being a village less than 1.5 miles from Cambrin Military Cemetery where he is interred.

What I am interested in tracking down are :-

1: Details of the 2008 Version on the missing Darnall, Holy Trinity Roll of Honour on which George Allott is the second recorded name and where this new roll of honour might be viewed, [if it is indeed in the viewable kind of format].

2: Further details of the Allott Family Grave Marker in Tinsley Cemetery which mentions George Allott, KIA. This is something that we have missed on our own visits to that burial ground, where Charles Allott [my wife’s Grandfather and George Allott’s Brother] and his immediate family are interred.

I think that Deansgirl may have photographed both this and another Allott Grave Marker which also makes reference to a further WWI casualty.

The family may have lived on Basford Street [does this still exist] although in 1918, they were residing at 12, Henson Street Darnall and the 1901 Census places them on James Street.

I hope that this clarifies things a little and any assistance that you can give would be greatly received.

Kindest regards;

Unitedite

Guest Unitedite

I have put what i have in the 'war section'.

Dean.

Thank you for your reply.

I see that you took some photographs of the Allott grave markers in Tinsley Cemetery that bear WWI casualty inscriptions [two of them I think].

Can I trouble you for copies of those photographs?

Kind regards;

N