The Worst Village in England, its

RichardB

'ere, my Dad was born there ... anyway ...

The Special Commissioner of THE CHRISTIAN BUDGET tells the story of the mining community in Denaby Main, in Yorkshire (1899).

Someone ought to bring this to the attention of whatever the local paper in Denaby Main is called.

Denaby_Main_1899_Social_History.doc

There is no need to describe the scenes in the villages on Saturday and Sunday, the drinking and tossing everywhere, the foul language from children and adults of both sexes, the attacks on policemen when they tried to arrest a specially indecent or dangerous wretch

crikey

Guest SYT Newsdesk

Well I've sent it off to the South Yorkshire Times, a link to here anyway.

Thanks a lot for this link - really interesting stuff, and we should be able to make it into a good feature. It gives some food for thought to those who believe things have never been worse!

South Yorkshire Times news team

www.dearnetoday.co.uk

Wasn't Denaby Main the Colliery they used to film "The Price Of Coal" ????

I thought it was Thorpe Hesley.

I taught there in the early seventies. I'd never seen anything quite like it, and I was used to Sheffield. An awful lot of self-induced poverty even then. Some of the kids wore the same clothes all week, and didn't seem to have had a wash either. There was one particular family with I think seven kids, and they were completely wild, girls in thin cotton dresses in the middle of winter, and boys with just a shirt and trousers, none with a coat or a decent pair of shoes, permanent lice, and scabies when I was there. I though I'd got in a time warp. The house which was pointed out to me was absolutely filthy, and the father apparently was one of those who only worked 2or 3 shifts a week. A lot changed when the pit shut, and it's all been rebuit, but I heard tales while I was there that were enough to make your hair stand on end, Happy Days!!!!