Commercial Hotel, Button Lane/Carver Street

RichardB

I don't have John Jones on my list, any ideas ?

Original caption :

Commercial Hotel, landlord John Jones, No 34, Button Lane and junction of Carver Street with Ginni Jones and unknown barman outside.

Building on right has 'Moorhead Fish Restaurant' sign

We appear to have two entries for this place, or at least a mix-up in the listings: Here & here --update: merged

Sheffield Records Online appears to have a few more names than we do, but no John Jones:

William Henry HINCHLIFFE Vict. Commercial Hotel 34 Button Lane Kelly's 1893

Thomas A BADGER Vict. Commercial Hotel 123 Carver Street & 34 Button Lane White's 1911

Walter WEBSTER Vict. Commercial Hotel 123 Carver Street & 34 Button Lane White's 1919

Mrs Annie F RANDON Vict. Commercial Hotel 123 Carver Street & 34 Button Lane Kelly's 1925

The only John Jones, victualler, that I can find on SRO is landlord of the Brincliffe Oaks in 1911

Oddly, I can't find 34 Button Lane or 123 Carver Street on the 1901 census.

It is in the 1901 directory though:

George Thomas Reeves, victualler (34 Button Lane & 123 Carver Street)

He is in the 1901 census as a publican at 119 Carver Street (no pub name given)

The 1861 census has a Henry Priseglove, age 24, beerhouse keeper at 22 Button Lane. Don't know if this is the same pub.

The 1861 census has a Henry Priseglove, age 24, beerhouse keeper at 22 Button Lane. Don't know if this is the same pub.

I'd go with that Jeremy, please keep updates posted here as new entries also - I have the Master spreadsheet to keep up to date (by which most cross-referencing is done). Well done with the merge by the way. You don't fancy a job with "Ball" and "Campo Lane" do you ? :rolleyes:

Thanks Richard.

Interestingly Priseglove turns out to be a Googlewhackblatt. A word that produces only one hit on Google (until Google indexes this page). I think that Ancestry and FindMyPast must have transcribed it wrong.

Jeremy