Wilfred Styring

Guest Trefcon

Was wondering if you had this chap in your family history somewhere and any possible additional info ?

Dean.

Cheers Dean

I've got "He who knows more than me" onto it. :)

I'll let you know when he replies.

This email from David

Wilfred Styring was born in the 1st quarter of 1899 in Sheffield (Ecclesall bierlow). Full details of his birth are available but you have to order the certificate - £7. The details on the gravestone - death age at 20 in 1919 - means that this has to be him - the only Wilfred Styring in the country born anywhere near 1899.

I've also found him in as a 2-year old in a household in Bond Street, Sheffield, on the 1901 census - transcript attached. Neither he nor any of the other members of this Styring household on the 1901 census are on the 1911 census - which fits in with your Australia thing.

The road "Bond Street" is not on current maps but I've found a picture on the usual site - Picturesheffield.com (attached). I've added the location details for Bond Street from the site to the attached 1901 census transcript - it's pretty close to you.

I've also found George Styring (Wilfred's father) on the 1881 census as a boy and his father was "Edd Styring" - possibly Edward? but not a name that rings a bell.

So - DE-DER!!

Dean - we're assuming you found his grave in Australia somewhere.

WILFRED_STYRING.doc

Guest Trefcon

Thanks for that Vox, excellent.

The headstone is in City Road Cemy.

I also have this Styring, Frank R. Styring of the Tank Corps. An old King Edwards boy.

Apologies for the blurred pic!

Dean.

There was a gent in our village (Laughton En-Le Morthen) by the name of Colin Styring.

He once showed my a map of the Wickersley area and pointed out some farm which he said was in his family for a number of years.

I seem to think he told me that he had some brothers but I may be wrong on that one.

Its quite some time since I last saw him and I'm sure I was told he had passed away. He was a lovely bloke.

Guest Buffers

Was there any connection with these men and Robert Styring who was Lord Mayor in 1906?

My late great uncle, Harold Styring, made a lifetime's work of researching the Styring family history. He got back to around 700ad! It started with a viking called Styr the Strong in Upssala in Sweden. His conclusion was that all people called Styring are related and go back to this ancestor. One line is royal, includes King Canute and comes down to our current royal family. Like our side, to link Wilfred Styring to the Lord Mayor, Robert Styring, you'd probably have to go back between 150 and 250 years. Harold Styring published a book on his work on the Styring family called Earls Without Coronets

Here you are Dean

Looks like we've got somewhere now.

This is what Buffers just sent me.

Henry - (The stubby red arrow), is our Grandfather.

So William is not too far away from us in the whole scheme of things. (I tried to work out what relation but my head exploded) :o

Guest Trefcon

Hi Vox, thanks for that, some brilliant research there. Just out of interest i have about half a dozen images, i think, of Styring's from WW1, you or 'Buffers' are more than welcome to copies of what i have.

Dean.