COURTS 'The Alley' Penistone Road

winter64

Ive asked before, but just in case any new members have any, does anyone have any photographs of the courts on Penistone Road??

After trawlling through all the pictures on PictureSheffield of Courts and of Penistone Road, I couldnt find any, I then contacted archives to see if they held any photos still to go on the site of the alley but they have none and neither does anyone in the family who is left.

My family lived in Court 11 in various houses there. I dont need a photo of court 11 particularly, but a picture of the courts would be fantastic.

Can anyone please help???

Ive asked before, but just in case any new members have any, does anyone have any photographs of the courts on Penistone Road??

After trawlling through all the pictures on PictureSheffield of Courts and of Penistone Road, I couldnt find any, I then contacted archives to see if they held any photos still to go on the site of the alley but they have none and neither does anyone in the family who is left.

My family lived in Court 11 in various houses there. I dont need a photo of court 11 particularly, but a picture of the courts would be fantastic.

Can anyone please help???

I've been through all 1103 entries for Penistone Road on http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

there is one entry mentioning the word Court and here it is :

Samuel Driver, Painter and Decorator, Court 9, 8 House, Penistone Road

so, just a thought, are the Courts on Penistone Road at all or, just maybe are just Courts on Roads off Penistone Road ?

I have some history with this issue, my remarkably-unfindable Great Grandfather lived on Dixon Street (a cry goes out to the Link Fairy - George Arthur Brant), the Pub on the corner was the Royal Lancers - was that on Penistone Road or Dixon Street ? I've seen both; given one entry only for Court on Penistone Road maybe its worth looking for Roads/Streets that intersect.

Do we have a surname to search on please ?

Also found no mention of The Alley; found Cabbage Alley which is rare enough (anyone remember where we have seen a picture of Cabbage Alley ?), but no mention of The Alley, Penistone Road.

Any further information gratefully received.

Also found no mention of The Alley; found Cabbage Alley which is rare enough (anyone remember where we have seen a picture of Cabbage Alley ?), but no mention of The Alley, Penistone Road.

Here you are ... Cabbage Alley

Nice easy one for a man of your talents

1911 -11 C T 1 PENISTONE ROAD SHEFFIELD

HOUSEHOLD SMITH ALBERT ERNEST M 1881 30

HOUSEHOLD SMITH GEORGE M 1909 2

HOUSEHOLD SMITH SARAH ANN F 1875 36

Nice easy one for a man of your talents

1911 -11 C T 1 PENISTONE ROAD SHEFFIELD

HOUSEHOLD SMITH ALBERT ERNEST M 1881 30

HOUSEHOLD SMITH GEORGE M 1909 2

HOUSEHOLD SMITH SARAH ANN F 1875 36

Excellent stuff, Thanks Neddy; my talents stop in 1901 apparently.

Still not seeing these at http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/ so they must be from somewhere else. Always willing to learn, can you say where you found them please ?

Thank you again.

I've been through all 1103 entries for Penistone Road on http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/

there is one entry mentioning the word Court and here it is :

Samuel Driver, Painter and Decorator, Court 9, 8 House, Penistone Road

so, just a thought, are the Courts on Penistone Road at all or, just maybe are just Courts on Roads off Penistone Road ?

I have some history with this issue, my remarkably-unfindable Great Grandfather lived on Dixon Street (a cry goes out to the Link Fairy - George Arthur Brant), the Pub on the corner was the Royal Lancers - was that on Penistone Road or Dixon Street ? I've seen both; given one entry only for Court on Penistone Road maybe its worth looking for Roads/Streets that intersect.

Do we have a surname to search on please ?

The address was definitely Penistone Road, the courts were nicknamed the alley, My mums family the Balms lived there in Court 11 House Number 24, they are on 1901 and 1911 census. The Smith family which was my G G grandma Annis Oates (Smith) and her fella John Smith and 8 children lived in Court 11 House 4 in 1891 and Court 11 House 8 in 1901. My Great Great Auntie Eliza Oldham nee Oates lived with Tom Oldham and their family at Court 11 House 26 Penistone Road.

I have attached one of the census records from 1901 for you to have a look see.

The address was definitely Penistone Road, the courts were nicknamed the alley, My mums family the Balms lived there in Court 11 House Number 24, they are on 1901 and 1911 census. The Smith family which was my G G grandma Annis Oates (Smith) and her fella John Smith and 8 children lived in Court 11 House 4 in 1891 and Court 11 House 8 in 1901. My Great Great Auntie Eliza Oldham nee Oates lived with Tom Oldham and their family at Court 11 House 26 Penistone Road.

I have attached one of the census records from 1901 for you to have a look see.

The courts are shown in RichardB's maps on this site 31 - 32 it was known as the Alley sometimes with the S in front lol

one of mine came from 9ct 1h, near The Minerva and the Hillfoot Club