CONCERTS IN SHEFFIELD

Sheffield History

On sale on Ebay at the moment is this Beatles programme from the Sheffield concert of December 8th 1965

Cracking item and still has the poster insert

Wonder if anyone else still has this item stored in their loft somewhere or remembers the concert ?

SHEFFIELD CONCERTS

Thought it would be a good idea to have a concerts thread for bands of any city/nationality who have played in Sheffield over the years.

Feel free to post your pictures and memories of them

Jerry Lee Lewis - City Hall - Wednesday 11th June 1956

Here's a really eye catching poster of the Jerry Lee Lewis concert at the City Hall

I imagine at that time the place would have been full of screaming teenagers who went along to watch one of the superstars of the day..

Guest tsavo

On sale on Ebay at the moment is this Beatles programme from the Sheffield concert of December 8th 1965

Cracking item and still has the poster insert

Wonder if anyone else still has this item stored in their loft somewhere or remembers the concert ?

I worked backstage on that concert at the Gaumont. The Beatles were in the theatre very early and we spent a lot of time throwing out teenage girls who managed to get in and hide themselves. Two even climbed a 60ft wall ladder (something I'd never had the nerve to go) and were in a filthy state when brought down.

The Fab four stooged around the stage and finally settled down on a empty drum rostrum and played Pontoon, with real money, at £5 a point. At that time I earned about £18 a week. This was an easy show for me, as I'd worked on a previous concert at the Odeon in Manchester, with a very simple lighting plot.

My impressions? John was the joker, Ringo seemed bored, George seemed to follow John and Paul was the quiet, thoughtful one.

Did I get their autographs? No. Did they sound good? Can't say, the screaming from the audience blanked out most of the songs that were being performed just 10 feet away.

Do I wish I could go back and do it again? You bet, autograph book at the ready.

Great item and good to know how you got it... perhaps you should have explained on your ebay sale about you being back stage etc. on that day in 1965? Would have though it would have bumped up the price you get for it?

Guest tsavo

The Ebay item isn't mine GrinderBloke, in fact in the seven or so years I did these shows, I never bothered with one autograph! Can't win em all.

Ah :(

Sorry I put 2 + 2 together and got 5... so much for being educated in a comprehensive school ;-)