Herbalism in Sheffield: William Fox

Guest AlisonD

Guest AlisonD

Dear All,

I am a herbal practitioners in Leeds and am writing a chapter on the history of herbal medicine in the 19th century. It was very tied in with chartism, methodism, temperance, vegetarianism etc. If anyone out there is interested in this topic then it would be good to make contact.

My immediate reason for posting is a search for some biographical details on William Fox or any of this family, staff, the shop of anything:

William Fox

According to the 22nd edition, the Botanical Pharmacy, 8 Castle Street, Sheffield, Yorkshire was founded in 1840 by William Fox. The 19th and 22nd editions were edited by his son A Russell Fox. The 24th edition of The Model Family Botanic Guide is dated 1932 and states that 250,000 copies had been sold since the first edition. In the introduction, the medical theories of and life of Samuel Thomson are discussed followed by a description of herbs grouped by actions and sections on the treatment of diseases. It ends with a price list of herbs obtainable from the Botanical Pharmacy.

Fox W 1920 The Working-Man’s Model Family Botanic Guide to Health. 22nd ed. W Fox and Sons, Sheffield

Thanks,

Alison

William Fox, Herbalist

William Fox, Herbalist & agent to Dr Coffin 6 Coalpit Lane White's 1849

William Fox, Herbalist and agent to Dr Coffin 6 Coalpit Lane (White's 1852)

William Fox, (& Sons) Medical botanists & chemists 56 Snig Hill Kelly's 1893

Walter Caughey Fox, Surgeon dentist 8 Castle Street; h. Steade Road White's 1911

W Fox (& Sons), Medical botanists 8 Castle Street White's 1919

William Fox (& Sons (Sheffield) Ltd.), Chemists 8 Castle Street Kelly's 1925

Alfred Russell Fox, Medical Botanist

Alfred Russell Fox, Chemist (William Fox & Sons) 56 Snig Hill Kelly's 1893

Alfred Russell Fox, 360 Crookes Moor Road Kelly's 1893

Alfred Russell Fox, Optition 8 Castle Street; h 76 Wayland Road White's 1911

Albert Russell Fox, Medical botanist (William Fox & Sons) h. 15 Silverhill Road, Ecclesall White's 1919

Alfred Russell Fox, Medical botanist (William Fox & Sons (Sheffield) Ltd.) h. 15 Silverhill Road, Ecclesall Kelly's 1925 William Fox, Herbalist

Henry Reckless, 8 Castle Street

Henry Reckless, Confectioner and Pastry cook; Baker and Flour Dealer (Pigot's 1841)

Baker and Confectioner 1849 & 1852

Thomas Holgate/Abraham Altham, 8 Castle Street

Thomas Holgate, Emigration Agent and Manager to Abraham Altham (Kelly's 1893)

Abraham Altham, Tea Merchant and Dealer (Kelly's 1893)

Fox's, 8 Castle Street

Walter Caughey Fox, surgeon dentist 8 Castle Street; h. Steade Road (White's 1911)

Alfred Russell Fox, Optition 8 Castle Street; h 76 Wayland Road (White's 1911)

W Fox (& Sons), Medical botanists 8 Castle Street (White's 1919)

William Fox (& Sons (Sheffield) Ltd.), Chemists 8 Castle Street (Kelly's 1925)

Welcome to SheffieldHistory !

Guest willeyre

Hello Alison and other contributors

Firstly, may I say that I have no specific expertise or acumen in matters pertaining to Herbalism.

My interest in the subject results from my genealogical research into my great grandfather (and namesake) William Henry Eyre - who was born in Sheffield in 1825.

For the first forty years of his life I know virtually nothing about him. This is the motivation for my enquiry.

What I do know is that from (no later than) 1877 he traded in Wellington , NZ as a 'Medical Botanist' and variously referred to himself as either that or as a 'Herbalist'. He was 'W.H. Eyre - The People's Friend', (which I must say strikes me as, if not needy a bit evangelical).

As part of my quest to track down his earlier life (basically between 1825 and 1866), and his parentage, I am led into the realms of your interest: that is, thinking/hoping that possibly you might offer some clues.

I am, led to wonder, for example if Sheffield some sort of hotbed of the movement. (I have come across a female herbalist and 'worm-destroyer' in Sheffield in 1820-30's named Jane Eyre ... and I wonder) ...

I am led to believe that 'herbalism' was often inextricably allied to Methodism and/or the Temperance Movement. My forebear appears to exhibit these links. (He was active in Temperance circles and buried as a 'Wesleyan').

If there is any reading that you can direct me to, or any other aspects of relevance, I would be most grateful to learn.

Thanks

Edric William Eyre (Ed)

Wanganui, NZ

William Fox, Herbalist

Unfortunate name - Bet he didn't have many on his list???

I have come across a female herbalist and 'worm-destroyer' in Sheffield in 1820-30's named Jane Eyre ... and I wonder ...

Welcome to the Site Ed, a small contribution from me; it may narrow down the dates for the move to "down under" and may give an address to chase up.

Mrs Jane Eyre, Herbalist and worm destroyer, 25 Bank Street in 1849 and 1852 (White's Directory).

Keep up posted please.

Good Luck, hopefully someone else may be able to add more.

Guest willeyre

Thanks for the welcome Richard. All contributions or suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

I was initially, and still am, trying to attract AlisonD's attention, as she appears to be the Botanic Woman ...wasn't that a tv show? Maybe not.

I don't want the Herbalist aspect to become a red herring or red tapeworm, for that matter. Perhaps I should be just touting for my forebear (William Henry Eyre, born Sheffield 1825) under a General heading.

Richard: You seem to have some status in here - I'm a bit puzzled as to why I can't sign into this site in the 'normal' fashion. (When I try, it tells me my details are incorrect, or, when I try to check password, that I have mispelled the cryptic pass words). My only way in has been by firstly Googling the entry for this specific thread and then I seem to be able to enter easily from the 'sign in' there. In other words I cannot get in by simply going to the HomePage.

Okay, it's now back to my grinding and welding - even if there's not a tapeworm loose in my 'Family Histology', there's almost definitely Iron Filings in my cutler's genes!

Ed

Thanks for the welcome Richard. All contributions or suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

I was initially, and still am, trying to attract AlisonD's attention, as she appears to be the Botanic Woman ...wasn't that a tv show? Maybe not.

I don't want the Herbalist aspect to become a red herring or red tapeworm, for that matter. Perhaps I should be just touting for my forebear (William Henry Eyre, born Sheffield 1825) under a General heading.

Richard: You seem to have some status in here - I'm a bit puzzled as to why I can't sign into this site in the 'normal' fashion. (When I try, it tells me my details are incorrect, or, when I try to check password, that I have mispelled the cryptic pass words). My only way in has been by firstly Googling the entry for this specific thread and then I seem to be able to enter easily from the 'sign in' there. In other words I cannot get in by simply going to the HomePage.

Okay, it's now back to my grinding and welding - even if there's not a tapeworm loose in my 'Family Histology', there's almost definitely Iron Filings in my cutler's genes!

Ed

Hello Ed and welcome,

regarding your problems logging on, have you tried a different browser?

Guest chris d

Dear All,

I am a herbal practitioners in Leeds and am writing a chapter on the history of herbal medicine in the 19th century. It was very tied in with chartism, methodism, temperance, vegetarianism etc. If anyone out there is interested in this topic then it would be good to make contact.

My immediate reason for posting is a search for some biographical details on William Fox or any of this family, staff, the shop of anything:

William Fox

According to the 22nd edition, the Botanical Pharmacy, 8 Castle Street, Sheffield, Yorkshire was founded in 1840 by William Fox. The 19th and 22nd editions were edited by his son A Russell Fox. The 24th edition of The Model Family Botanic Guide is dated 1932 and states that 250,000 copies had been sold since the first edition. In the introduction, the medical theories of and life of Samuel Thomson are discussed followed by a description of herbs grouped by actions and sections on the treatment of diseases. It ends with a price list of herbs obtainable from the Botanical Pharmacy.

Fox W 1920 The Working-Man’s Model Family Botanic Guide to Health. 22nd ed. W Fox and Sons, Sheffield

Thanks,

Alison

Ok this this thread is super old so I doubt anybody reads this anymore. So hello empty room vacated by cyber people. I'll stick my head in anyway and chat to the ghosts. A few years ago, my family and I relocated from North East London to Dorset. After much searching, we eventually bought a site which contained a dilapidated '80s bungalow, within the walls of which we found a bottle of Castor Oil pencilled with the year 1930. Weirdly, it is from a chemists on Bethnal Green Road, East London, a mile or so from where we moved. So I thought I'd look into the chemists in question. It is labelled WM. FOX & SONS, LTD., established 1812. The address was 109-111 Bethnal Green Rd., E.2 but with the addition "And Branches". WM. is certainly William. So is this your man? It's a long way from Sheffield...

Chris

The herbalists were preferable to the medical profession at this point in time. Link to a case dealt with by Mr Fox: Wm Fox