Dixon Lane

Guest helene hanff

Guest helene hanff

Hi

In 1881 my 3* gt gd father Samuel Ibberson b abt 1807 is shown as living in 14 Dixon Lane and he is manager of iron steel depot. According to his grave record he was Manager steel warehouse and died at 14 1/2 Dickson Lane. Which is the correct spelling now and then? Does anyone have any idea where the steel depot was?

Thanks

Helene

Hi

In 1881 my 3* gt gd father Samuel Ibberson b abt 1807 is shown as living in 14 Dixon Lane and he is manager of iron steel depot. According to his grave record he was Manager steel warehouse and died at 14 1/2 Dickson Lane. Which is the correct spelling now and then? Does anyone have any idea where the steel depot was?

Thanks

Helene

Hi Helen, welcome to the site.

Looking at the 1881 census I would say Dixon Lane is the correct spelling, however there would not have been a Iron & Steel depot there. Dixon ln was and is to some extent the heart of Sheffield's markets area.

In Sheffield there would have been numerous Iron and Steel depots.

Lets see what turns up

Guest helene hanff

Hi Helen, welcome to the site.

Looking at the 1881 census I would say Dixon Lane is the correct spelling, however there would not have been a Iron & Steel depot there. Dixon ln was and is to some extent the heart of Sheffield's markets area.

In Sheffield there would have been numerous Iron and Steel depots.

Lets see what turns up

Thanks for that

Hi

Thanks

Helene

Now Dixon Street is an altogether different matter, plenty of steel works there ... just a thought and give my Grandfather a cuddle (born Dixon Street in 1881).

Now Dixon Street is an altogether different matter, plenty of steel works there ... just a thought and give my Grandfather a cuddle (born Dixon Street in 1881).

Definately Dixon Lane (near The Rock Inn); must have walked to work.

Hi

Thanks

Helene

Bower and Ibberson, Arundel Street

From 1849-1871 - possibly longer.

Guest helene hanff

Thank you both I shall look at map and google Bower and Ibberson tomorrow

thanks a million and I will give a cuddle or two

Helene

Guest helene hanff

Hi

Wow, love the before and after shots. I used to go to Sheffield once a month with my mum and dad to take my nana shopping this would have been in the late sixties early seventies. How different it all looks now. Is the map taken in 1950's showing Dixon Lane as it more or less was like in the 1860's. ie is number 14 likely to be where Samuel lived?what is the 14 1/2 all about.? Which house do you reckon it is from the photos I reckon it could be the foam shop?. I tried to make out where the pub was three doors down from the Norfolk Arms.

All that hustle and bustle in the 50's and look at it now just a thoroughfare. I shall see what I can on Bower and Ibberson now

Thanks for all your help.

Helene

Guest helene hanff

I've been scouring the maps and googling away to no success I can't find anything I looked at the 1879 Whites directory as well. Hope you can Help.

regards

Helene