Who Are The Others In This Pic??

Tracy Kerridge

I wonder if anyone can help identify the people in this photo.

My great grandfather, Fred Selwood, was an Edge Tool Forger (he is pictured 3rd row back second from right).

He lived in Brightside Bierlow (Kilton Lane?) in 1891 and in Nether Hallam in 1901.

Would especially like to know who the girl is.

Many thanks ~ Tracy

Can't help you there but a fantastic photograph Tracey. Interesting nearly all the men are dressed alike, almost a uniform! My great grandfather was born in Kilton Street which was in Burngreave and which probably disappeared when they built flats to replace old terraced housing in the area.

I wonder if anyone can help identify the people in this photo.

My great grandfather, Fred Selwood, was an Edge Tool Forger (he is pictured 3rd row back second from right).

He lived in Brightside Bierlow (Kilton Lane?) in 1891 and in Nether Hallam in 1901.

Would especially like to know who the girl is.

Many thanks ~ Tracy

Interesting picture, really, really stupid question ... is there anything on the back of it ?

As an administrator you really should not make stupid comments like that.

Oh, but what joy if there was a date in pencil, or the name of the premises or indeed a comment like

Miss Clara Fishnostril (daughter of the owner Cecil Fishnostril) visits the workforce at Bertrams &Wobblebottom Jelly-Mould Manufactory June 1931

that particular inscription might be deemed a little unlikely, I grant you ...

got to ask, the back may indeed be blank but if you haven't looked ...

Actually a very intelligent question dressed with a bit of humour - even 2 characters written on the back of that could give a valuable lead e.g. 32 giving us 1932, EH giving possible initials for the Company - can only guess what 3 characters or a few words could lead to ...

Can't help you there but a fantastic photograph Tracey. Interesting nearly all the men are dressed alike, almost a uniform! My great grandfather was born in Kilton Street which was in Burngreave and which probably disappeared when they built flats to replace old terraced housing in the area.

Many thanks for your comments Dunsbyowl - it's one of my favourite photos. It couldn't be anywhere else but sheffield! Sad though when you look at the lads in the front row and see how young they are.

Thanks also for the info on Kilton Street, I'll have to look it up on Picture Sheffield.

Tracy

Interesting picture, really, really stupid question ... is there anything on the back of it ?

RichardB ~ not such a silly question as I have a couple of photos sent by email from a distant relative who omitted to tell me who they were of and where they were taken. My sis has the original of this pic however and when I asked her if there was anything written on the back she rolled her eyes and asked me if I thought she was stupid enough not to have looked! :(

RichardB ~ not such a silly question as I have a couple of photos sent by email from a distant relative who omitted to tell me who they were of and where they were taken. My sis has the original of this pic however and when I asked her if there was anything written on the back she rolled her eyes and asked me if I thought she was stupid enough not to have looked! :(

Everyone is potentially stupid enough not to look, hence my question which was pretend-stupidity, I'm really almost grown up and sensible.

RichardB ~ if you were on the other end of my sister's rolling eyes you really wouldn't feel grown up at all!