Tomlinsons Funeral Parlour

Guest badgerboo

Guest badgerboo

Hi, can anyone tell me anything about Tomlinsons Funeral Parlour on Bedford Street, such as when it closed, why it closed. Are the stories true about there being a tunnel to it from the infirmary? Anything anyone can remember or tell me would be great. Pictures would be even better.

Thanks

Hi, can anyone tell me anything about Tomlinsons Funeral Parlour on Bedford Street, such as when it closed, why it closed. Are the stories true about there being a tunnel to it from the infirmary? Anything anyone can remember or tell me would be great. Pictures would be even better.

Thanks

Joseph Tomlinson (& Sons), Borough Mews, Bedford Street.

in 1919 they were also at Oxford Mews, 162 Moore Street & 116 Holme Lane.

and in 1925 at Oxford Mews, 287 Hanover Street.

Don't know when they closed though.

Every time I pass Tomlinson's Funeral Parlour I think of the times when I used to go

that way to school on Cross Bedford Street, the main entrance being on Bedford Street.

There were some arched shaped glassless windows at near pavement level

which were covered with wire netting that my friends used to poke lolly pop sticks through.

I still remember the sickly smell and the cold that used to seep through.

It wasn't until I was older and my mother was laid to rest there that I realized this

was the mortuary.

Today those same openings have glass in and are now someones basement windows

oooooh spooky, I wouldn't like to live there although they've built a new adjoining block

attached to it with windows of the same design.

One of our neighbours used to work at Tomlinsons as a driver of the hearse, we

always used to comment on the beautiful flowers he always had in his window. :o

I used to see this building a lot.

My mom worked next door at Shefftax Taxi's, for 25 years. I never really appreciated what the building was until i got much older. They had a phone in thier office that would ring 'after hours' for Tomlinsons. I never heard it ring, but apparently, according to my mum, it used to ring quite frequent late at night.

I also saw it be renovated into flats. The whole project hit a grinding halt when they run out of funding, and it stood, half done for a good long while.

All the block where Shefftax was is now new flats, surprise surprise!!!

Thanks

Will this do ? Thanks to the Sunday Journal. April 11TH 1982.