Wharncliffe War Hospital Roll of Honour

Guest Trefcon

Guest Trefcon

At last, after quite a few years of trying here it is! Also got the St. Aidans memorial ( see Sheffield Nightingales' thread ), as well. Also 'found' William Hutton & Sons Roll of Honour, which i have previously transcribed, covered in mould now though!

Made of Oak in the workshop at Middlewood, 20' by 6'. Central plaque from central panel is missing! Dont know if this had names or an inscription, probably non-ferrous, so been nicked!

73 Regiments represented with 220 named individuals. Very few from Sheffield on there.

I will keep the list of names close to my chest as i think i would like to research this one.

Well chuffed!!

Dean.

Is it possible you could identify the contact details of the holder of this memorial. I would like to photograph the items to be included in my Middlewood hospital project. Follow my project by visiting www.rotherham-images.co.uk and click on the 'Middlewood Hospital' link.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks <_<

Hi Richard,

just Googled at first, then got info bit by bit.

Glad its over now!

Dean.

Guest Trefcon

I could send you cropped high res copies of the images if this is ok ?

PM me an e-mail address if you want them.

Dean.

I could send you cropped high res copies of the images if this is ok ?

PM me an e-mail address if you want them.

Dean.

Thank you. My e-mail address is luis@rotherham-images.co.uk

I came across the following that will explain what information was on the missing centre panel of the Wharncliffe War Hospital Roll of Honour

On page 30 of "A History of Middlewood Psychiatric Hospital 1872 - 1972" by F T Thorpe he states the following

"In commemoration of the hospital war effort a roll of Honour was made in the hospital's carpentry shop and measured some twenty feet long and six feet high. It bore the names of soldiers who died whilst in the Wharncliffe War Hospital and in the centre of the panel was a list of the eight members of the asylum staff who lost their lives. The completed panel is on the wall at the rear of the hospital church"

In the centre of the Church Sanctuary a stained glass window was placed bearing the figure of St George with the legend - "To the Glory of God in the memory of those who fell in the Great War of 1914 - 1918"

Guest Trefcon

Thanks ceegee,

i do have that, i am trying to trace the 8 who appeared on the central panel, i have two, but i have now 'lost' one ! I'm awaiting info from the last vicar of the Church, but nothing yet.

Dean.