Raynaldthorpe

RichardB

It's an old name, T. Walter Hall lists a grant dated before 1290 of two acres of land granted by Nicholas Crothorn of Raynaldthorp to William, son of William de Hertelay.

One acre lay in Sewinsikes and the other on Estwra (which Hall thinks might be East Row).

And what's the connection between Reynaldthorpe and Hunter of Hallamshire fame?

Guest Jeremy

I didn't know, but I do now -- the answers are available online; I found some interesting books in the process of searching too.

Jeremy

I didn't know, but I do now -- the answers are available online; I found some interesting books in the process of searching too.

Jeremy

We have a new Books/Literature reference section now, mainly stuff I've heard of but don't have - you could list any finds you make there - see if we can get 'em as well.

Guest Gramps

I'm pretty sure that in one of his books David Hey suggests that Raynaldthorp (or Renathorpe) later became known as Hatfield House/Farm on Hatfield House lane at Shire Green.

Herteley or Hartley was a little hamlet close by hence Hartley Brook. May once have been within the manorial park of Cowley ???

I'm pretty sure that in one of his books David Hey suggests that Raynaldthorp (or Renathorpe) later became known as Hatfield House/Farm on Hatfield House lane at Shire Green.

Herteley or Hartley was a little hamlet close by hence Hartley Brook. May once have been within the manorial park of Cowley ???

That's the detail I have, Hatfield House.

Well found.

And the Hunter connection?

I know, but, let's leave the question open for now; see if anyone else comes up with the answer.

Guest Gramps

Well if I leave it any longer I'll forget about it altogether :blink:

Hunter's connection with Hatfield House is claimed in a letter (presumably to the Vicar of Ecclesfield) published by Jonathan Eastwood, the one-time curate of Ecclesfield church, requesting that he be allowed a burial plot in the churchyard. In the letter Hunter says...

"My first known male ancestor certainly lived at Hatfield House in the days of King Charles the Second, but I infer nothing of ancestoral consequence from it, as I have no reason to suppose that he was anything but a very respectable man, a tenant of the Norfolk family, bringing up a pretty large family of children, one of whom he sent to Sheffield, and who became my great-grandfather."

So Joseph Hunter's descent would seem to have been from William Hunter, of Hatfield House, buried at Ecclesfield in 1719. Eastwood says the name Hunter appears in the parish registers as early as 1623.

This claim is reiterated in Odom's Hallamshire Worthies.