Help - Territorial Army or Salvation Army uniform

Can anyone identify this uniform for me please. It is of my father in a bandsman uniform c 1936. I know he was in the TA from 1936 - 1939 then joined up for WW2. But I have also been told he was in the Salvation Army.

lyn

Can anyone identify this uniform for me please. It is of my father in a bandsman uniform c 1936. I know he was in the TA from 1936 - 1939 then joined up for WW2. But I have also been told he was in the Salvation Army.

lyn

Looks like a British Army uniform to me - definitely not Salvation Army. Looks like a York & Lancaster cap badge to me. Difficult to be absolutely certain of the regiment, but I'm pretty sure. If it's the York & Lancs territorial battalion, this was known as the Hallamshire Battalion after 1924. This battalion served in Norway in 1940, then was at D-Day and the fighting through Belgium and Holland in 1944 and '45.

lyn

Looks like this? The cuffs and the shoulders look the same thouh this is probably pre WW1!

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/pi...ff.refno=w00030

Further to my query I had contacted the SA Heritage centre and they said it wasn't their uniform. I recently had the photograph published in the Star asking for information as I had been told the other young man had been killed in the Norway Attack.

I had a reply from a lady called Kathleen telling me the man on the left of the photo was her cousin Douglas James Starkey born 1921 from Darnall. He was killed while serving one the HMS Alfridi in 1941.

She tells me that after speaking to Douglas's brother - he says that the only bands Douglas played in was the Hallamshire Military Band and the Salvation Army Band. Now I wonder if there are any records of the Hallamshire Military Band...................

Many thanks to everyone for their help.

Also found this online if anyone is interested - http://www.irdp.co.uk/JohnCrook/norway.htm

Lyn

Now I wonder if there are any records of the Hallamshire Military Band...................

Many thanks to everyone for their help.

Also found this online if anyone is interested - http://www.irdp.co.uk/JohnCrook/norway.htm

Lyn

Lyn - The Regiment may be long gone but (don't know how much help it may be) but the band is still on the go - there is history & photos on here and Norway is mentioned in the history. Hope that is of some help.

Paul

Photo is undoubtedly of  two bandsmen from the York and Lancaster Regt and from the domestic location, I would hazard a guess that they were from the Territorial Army (Hallamshire ) Battalion’s band  although their  uniform would have been very similar to that worn by the band of the Regular Y & L Battalions - the last of which was formally disbanded in the late 1960s.