Whitely Wood House, Whitley Wood rd

Guest pola

Hi been do the family tree thing I am trying to find my G Grandmother she was a dom serv at Whitly Wood house but I cannot find her under her name on the 1891 census so i think she may be listed under the owners name, can anyone help? She was married in 1900 and I have found her under her married name of Clarke on the 1901 cen, she had moved from Sheffield but moved back ,again her husband John Geoge Clarke was supposed to be the first chauffer of a motorised vehichle and that was for Thorsby Hall, does anyone know anything of this because I am beginning to think there were story tellers in the family.

hello Pola,

I think we need her name lol

Do you know when she was born? And was she born in Sheffield?

I can't find a marriage for a John George CLARKE in 1900 ?! (a few called CLARK but not in this area)

Hugh

I can't find a Whiteley Wood House in 1891. There's a Whiteley Wood Hall - the owners appear to be away because there is only a family called SLACK, with the Head as a gardener and eldest son as a groom/gardener.

This may not be the right house though as the 1920 Directory says it is in Common Lane.

Hugh

hello Pola,

I think we need her name lol

Do you know when she was born? And was she born in Sheffield?

I can't find a marriage for a John George CLARKE in 1900 ?! (a few called CLARK but not in this area)

Hugh

Hi her name was Amelia Dunn-Birch she was born in Hemsworth but went into service in Sheffield she Married J G Clarke in Congleton his name in some cen is spelt with out the e on the end.

I can't find a Whiteley Wood House in 1891. There's a Whiteley Wood Hall - the owners appear to be away because there is only a family called SLACK, with the Head as a gardener and eldest son as a groom/gardener.

This may not be the right house though as the 1920 Directory says it is in Common Lane.

Hugh

Hi hugh it may not be the right one all I know from an elderly relative is that they used to walk through endcliffe woods to see where Gmother used to work, on the map there is a Whitely wood rd ,not seen a common rd.

S

I've never heard of a Whiteley Wood House, but as HughW says there was a Whiteley Wood Hall.

Whiteley Wood cottage, on Steve's map above, despite the name is a substantial house and would almost certainly have had domestic servants.

Whiteley Wood Road was called Meadow Lane until 1912, which is when the houses on there were built, and the road renamed. The hall's most famous resident was Samuel Plimsoll, in the 1860's.

In 1871 a family named Falding were in residence (Mrs Falding was Plimsoll's sister)

The next resident was Alderman Thomas Robert Gainsford, who left in 1893 and moved to Woodthorpe Hall. He sold the Hall to Arnold Muir Wilson.

Mr. Wilson's wife died in 1888 and he remarried to Amy Dearden shortly afterwards. In 1903 his health deteriorated and he started on a round the world tour, and never returned, dying in Vancouver 1/10/1909. That may account for HughW saying the owners appeared to be away.

The nursemaid at the Hall was Lavinia Slack, who was 14 at the 1881 census. She married Henry Arthur Ibbotson, who was a groom/gardener. In 1891 they were then married and living at Whiteley Wood Yard.

There's a little booklet entitled Whiteley Wood Hall published by the Girl Guides (who now use the site as an outdoor centre, the Hall having been demolished in 1959.)

I've never heard of a Whiteley Wood House, but as HughW says there was a Whiteley Wood Hall.

Whiteley Wood cottage, on Steve's map above, despite the name is a substantial house and would almost certainly have had domestic servants.

Whiteley Wood Road was called Meadow Lane until 1912, which is when the houses on there were built, and the road renamed. The hall's most famous resident was Samuel Plimsoll, in the 1860's.

In 1871 a family named Falding were in residence (Mrs Falding was Plimsoll's sister)

The next resident was Alderman Thomas Robert Gainsford, who left in 1893 and moved to Woodthorpe Hall. He sold the Hall to Arnold Muir Wilson.

Mr. Wilson's wife died in 1888 and he remarried to Amy Dearden shortly afterwards. In 1903 his health deteriorated and he started on a round the world tour, and never returned, dying in Vancouver 1/10/1909. That may account for HughW saying the owners appeared to be away.

The nursemaid at the Hall was Lavinia Slack, who was 14 at the 1881 census. She married Henry Arthur Ibbotson, who was a groom/gardener. In 1891 they were then married and living at Whiteley Wood Yard.

There's a little booklet entitled Whiteley Wood Hall published by the Girl Guides (who now use the site as an outdoor centre, the Hall having been demolished in 1959.)

Thank you Bayleaf, that,I think will be a help, it also throws in another member of the family that I am searching for and that is an Ibbotson that I think married an Elliott but I will get to them in time, first I am going to check these names out. Ta muchly.

Can't believe I missed this thread!

Henry Arthur Ibbotson and Lavinia Slack, both employed by the Gainsfords, were my great grandparents and I provided the photographs included in the booklet about Whiteley Wood Hall. I have also recently posted a photo in the Sport forum of Henry with the Sharrow Parish Church cricket team!

Lavinia was the daughter of Isaac Slack, listed as a gardener living in Whiteley Wood Hall in the 1891 census. He appears to have followed the Gainsfords to Woodthorpe Hall as he died at Woodthorpe in July 1900. There is another photo in the booklet of a group of staff at Whiteley Wood Hall in "c1900" but I haven't been able to identify anyone in the picture.

Pola: I haven't noticed any marriages of my Ibbotsons to Elliots (at least not since 1756 when William Ibbotson (my 5x ggrandfather) married a Mary Elliot in Hope, Derbyshire!) However, if I can help you in any way let me know.

Cheers, John