Sheffield Botanical Gardens

Dad

I have just been reading about the botanical gardens and there is some mention of damage suffered during WW2 which the council could not afford to repair. Does anyone know if the damage was caused by bombs ? , I ask because i didnt realise that side of sheffield was bombed .

I have just been reading about the botanical gardens and there is some mention of damage suffered during WW2 which the council could not afford to repair. Does anyone know if the damage was caused by bombs ? , I ask because i didnt realise that side of sheffield was bombed .

According to the Bomb Map that Waterside Echo sent me there were a few just outside the edge of the gardens but none shown inside the boundry. However that doesn't prove anything because it's not very accurate either in scale or where the bombs fell. I know for instance that the ones shown at Derbyshire Lane are wrong. My grandparents house at 103 was damaged by one which fell across the road and that's not shown. Whereas a couple are shown which my mother says weren't there.

Is there another map besides this one - anybody??

There is, you will have to wait till Monday at the best (unless anyone else has easier access to my place of work ?, the cash is in the safe, in the server room, next to the kitchen ... the key is on my desk, next to the Mrs Miggins Online Pie Directory printout ...)

There is, you will have to wait till Monday at the best (unless anyone else has easier access to my place of work ?, the cash is in the safe, in the server room, next to the kitchen ... the key is on my desk, next to the Mrs Miggins Online Pie Directory printout ...)

OK, does the key fit the safe or the server room lol

OK, does the key fit the safe or the server room lol

Room is open, keys for server rack and safe on the keyring, room key is on there also ... the safe key is the big one ... the petty cash is in there also ...

According to the Bomb Map that Waterside Echo sent me there were a few just outside the edge of the gardens but none shown inside the boundry. However that doesn't prove anything because it's not very accurate either in scale or where the bombs fell. I know for instance that the ones shown at Derbyshire Lane are wrong. My grandparents house at 103 was damaged by one which fell across the road and that's not shown. Whereas a couple are shown which my mother says weren't there.

The map is part of the Kemsley publication `1939-1945 Sheffield at War` and is dated December 1948. I was surprised just how many inaccuracies there were to say it was published just three years after the war had ended. One example was Parkwood Springs, no bombs are shown to have fallen, yet from first hand experience playing on the bomb site in the late 40s, the area at the junction of Wallace road and Pickering Road was very badly damaged resulting in many houses and the Methodist church being completely demolished. W/E.

The map is part of the Kemsley publication `1939-1945 Sheffield at War` and is dated December 1948. I was surprised just how many inaccuracies there were to say it was published just three years after the war had ended. One example was Parkwood Springs, no bombs are shown to have fallen, yet from first hand experience playing on the bomb site in the late 40s, the area at the junction of Wallace road and Pickering Road was very badly damaged resulting in many houses and the Methodist church being completely demolished. W/E.

Does anybody know why they appear to have just "drawn" a map rather than reproduce a proper one with the bomb hits added? There are whole areas with the roads in wrong positions and some roads miss-named. I noticed some quite large ones missed off altogether.

Does anybody know why they appear to have just "drawn" a map rather than reproduce a proper one with the bomb hits added? There are whole areas with the roads in wrong positions and some roads miss-named. I noticed some quite large ones missed off altogether.

I'm not sure why the hand-drawn map, but all local authorities were required to keep a record of where bombs fell and the possible location of unexploded ones. Most places still have them, but Sheffield seems to have 'misplaced' theirs, they know it's somewhere, but can't find it. So even if they'd used a proper map, many or all of the dots would be approximate.

I'm not sure why the hand-drawn map, but all local authorities were required to keep a record of where bombs fell and the possible location of unexploded ones. Most places still have them, but Sheffield seems to have 'misplaced' theirs, they know it's somewhere, but can't find it. So even if they'd used a proper map, many or all of the dots would be approximate.

Is this map any better?

I can more accurately place a few of the hits. For instance the Derbyshire Lane one, Tavistock Road, and some others, all of which relate to my family.

For a mad moment I thought of using the 50's map to place my "deffinites" and move others which are obviously wrongly placed to more likely places recorded as ruins on the 50's map. Also I've visited a few "Hit Sites" and found evidence of missing buildings, and obvious damage/repair work. Not 100% proof but very likely. It then dawned on me what a massive undertaking that would be and shelved the idea.

Maybe after I retire. (If I ever do. I'm one of those ill advised pension scheme victimes)

Anyway someone may have already done it on Richard's map. I don't know if the map Richard has is more accurate, he doesn't say.