Brian Laws

dunsbyowl1867

Reading a profile of Brian Laws I was surprised to find he is a native the North East - he doesn't sound like it does he? anyway it's good to know that there is one good thing to come out of Wallsend!

from Wikipedia

Brian Simon Laws (born 14 October 1961 in Wallsend, England) is manager of Sheffield Wednesday F.C. and a former professional footballer.

Brian Laws began playing football at the famous Wallsend Boys Club in his native Newcastle upon Tyne.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Laws#ci...BBCsouthyorks-0

Guest BUXT0NGENT

Reading a profile of Brian Laws I was surprised to find he is a native the North East - he doesn't sound like it does he? anyway it's good to know that there is one good thing to come out of Wallsend!

I know it's the other side of the Tyne, but virtually opposite is a small pllace called Primrose Hill, I believe that it's between Jarrow & Felling.

One of our all time great squad players came from there - Gerry Young! He played in almost every forward position (and played his heart out) and finished up taking the place of Tony Kay at No.6 when he absconded to Everton with Harry Catterick.

The one thing that almost broke Gerry's heart was letting a simple ball go under his boot during the 1966 final! Whilst talking to him afterwards, he said, with tears in his eyes, 'I honestly don't know how it happened. I saw the ball coming over and was concentrating on who best to give it to, and the ball slipped through when I took my eye off it for a second! It was a dreadful mistake and I cost us the cup!' He never forgave himself for that one slip, but remained an out and out Wednesday player who gave his all time and time again. Yes he gained international recognition, but never forgot that time. He was, and I presume still is, a GENTLEMAN in every way.

Much as I admire Laws, his target for me is to achieve the status of his Tyneside predecessor.

Famous for throwing a plate of Chicken at the first Italian player ever to play for Grimsby :(

Ivano Bonnetti, of Juventus, Sampdoria, and Grimsby Town!

anyway it's good to know that there is one good thing to come out of Wallsend!

Lets not forget a certain Mr Waddle also