St George's Day 1950

mike142sl

Here's a picture of Fulwood Scouts on Parade at St George's Day 1950. Not quite sure where they are but there are some good clues of companies occupying the buildings to the left. I think it might be Trippet Lane looking towards Town.

Not quite sure where they are but there are some good clues of companies occupying the buildings to the left. I think it might be Trippet Lane looking towards Town.

Here's a picture of Fulwood Scouts on Parade at St George's Day 1950. Not quite sure where they are but there are some good clues of companies occupying the buildings to the left. I think it might be Trippet Lane looking towards Town.

Must have been after the service in the City Hall. Each District started an a side road off Division Street and paraded down past the City hall for the march past. (They may still do it) Then down Leopolde Street to turn into Trippet Lane and fall out outside the Scout Shop.

I always felt cheated that it was so short a march.

By the 70's it was further, we met on Leavygreave Rd near the University (before the ring road was there) and marched down West St and Division St to the City Hall. Then returned via Leopold and West St to Leavygreave. The band would stop to a drum beat as it passed the Hospital on West St.

The parades are local these days, this year ours is at Ranmoor Parish Church and no marching - not that we really marched anyway - note the 1950s scout on the right front row!!! The Scouts tend to get pushed out by Marathons these days - as per this year - so the Police can't control us as well ???

They are marching on Trippet Lane see green arrow on map

Didn't anybody tell the lad near the front to take his hands out of his pockets

By the 70's it was further, we met on Leavygreave Rd near the University (before the ring road was there) and marched down West St and Division St to the City Hall. Then returned via Leopold and West St to Leavygreave. The band would stop to a drum beat as it passed the Hospital on West St.

The parades are local these days, this year ours is at Ranmoor Parish Church and no marching - not that we really marched anyway - note the 1950s scout on the right front row!!! The Scouts tend to get pushed out by Marathons these days - as per this year - so the Police can't control us as well ???

In the mid 1990's when my son was in the scouts they marched down Division Street and through Barkers Pool past the City Hall and the War Memorial then carried on down to Fargate. I am not quite sure where they went next because this particular year they went to some sort of ceremony?? at Methodist Church?? Victoria Hall?? Not really sure as due to the number of scouts attending there was no room for parents and family. When they came back they seemed to retrace their original route and disband at each groups original starting point.

I remember that year, I think the City Hall got greedy so we had to use several city centre churches. I was in the one opp the old TSB building off Norfolk Row.

Thanks for the map stuart, that's pretty much where I thought it was. I can also see a bus parked at the old stop on Pinfold St in the background. That's where I used to catch the 51 back up to Lodge Moor - there was a gennel behind the stop that led down to the Playhouse and we sometimes tried to race the bus to the next stop.

Just added this to the then & now showcase.

Hi mike142sl,

Having enjoyed reading these posts and noticing your animated scout flag, obviously indicating some sort of involvement in the scouting movement,

I am assuming that mike142sl actually means Mike (your name) 142 (the number of a scout troop) and sl (scout leader) ???

My son was on Gleadless cubs and scouts based on Gleadless Road close to Heeley & Sheffield PH on the opposite side of the road. I cannot remember its 3 digit code number. Of course in his time in the cubs / scouts he went to HQ on Trippet Lane and also camping at Hessley Wood.

Would it be an idea to have on the site a list of all the Sheffield based scout troops and their numbers / locations and all other scout sites like Trippet Lane HQ and the camping / expedition sites?

Just an idea as I am sure many of our members will have spent happy days in their youth with the scouts in the City.

Hi mike142sl,

Having enjoyed reading these posts and noticing your animated scout flag, obviously indicating some sort of involvement in the scouting movement,

I am assuming that mike142sl actually means Mike (your name) 142 (the number of a scout troop) and sl (scout leader) ???

My son was on Gleadless cubs and scouts based on Gleadless Road close to Heeley & Sheffield PH on the opposite side of the road. I cannot remember its 3 digit code number. Of course in his time in the cubs / scouts he went to HQ on Trippet Lane and also camping at Hessley Wood.

Would it be an idea to have on the site a list of all the Sheffield based scout troops and their numbers / locations and all other scout sites like Trippet Lane HQ and the camping / expedition sites?

Just an idea as I am sure many of our members will have spent happy days in their youth with the scouts in the City.

Is that another challenge lol

Is that another challenge lol

Could well be if Mike is up for it, - and scouts always rise to a challenge, - especially if we had a special "badge" to award for it ;-)

Hi mike142sl,

!0th Sheffield, Mount Tabor on Wordsworth Avenue. Started with cubs, at around eight years old I imagine, and carried on through scouts 'till 1957.

221st Frecheville troop.

We were one of the troops to wear Navy Blue rather than Khaki.

My pal and I (Ken his name was) had a bright idea one St Georges day. We Blanco'd our lanyards and stripes instead of just scrubbing them.

Off we went, feeling well chuffed that we looked so smart at the side of the others, and wondering why nobody had thought of it before. Part way round the parade it turned from a nice sunny day to a sudden all out downpour. The parade was abandoned. (Someone may remember the year, possibly '60/'61 ?)

The Blanco ran out all over our uniforms - and I mean Big Style. We were a laughing stock with the rest of the lads, and none too popular with our moms as I recall.

Social observation.

There we were, thousands of young lads all carrying penknives and probably 6" Bowie knives. I don't remember anyone thinking about us using them for any other reason than to cut rope or whittle sticks.

Guest Gramps

I was on that 1950 parade (sad old git lol )

Troop was St. Barnabas Highfields but I don't recall the number. Our camps were held in some fields off Limb lane at the top of Ryecroft Glen. We had to push a heavily laden handcart all the way along Abbeydale road and up to the top of Whirlowdale road to get there.

St. George's day parades weren't too bad but the Remembrance Day parades were agony. Stood in the freezing wind for what seemed an eternity, while our hands and knees went from pink to orange to purple. How we didn't end up with pneumonia was a mystery. All the big knobs and the military were nice and comfortable in the overcoats of course :angry:

221st Frecheville troop.

We were one of the troops to wear Navy Blue rather than Khaki.

Seem to remember that was because you were Air Scouts.

Social observation.

There we were, thousands of young lads all carrying penknives and probably 6" Bowie knives. I don't remember anyone thinking about us using them for any other reason than to cut rope or whittle sticks.

We can still do so as leaders but if questioned have to prove it's for a genuine purpose. Can still carry pen knives under 3" though. The reason this changed was down to those who were NOT members of the Scout Association finding themselves enevitably at a loose end and using them to stab each other!

10/10 to Hurcule DaveH for working out my forum name. A list of Sheffield Groups should be easy, especially if there is a badge to be gained - we like that sort of thing, although sadly there will be more listed as closed than currently open.

Definitely not air scouts Mike.

It may have been something to do with us historically being in North East Derbyshire. We had blue shoulder patches with North East Derbyshire (written in silver I think) as well as the Sheffield badge. Having said this I do remember there being other troops, presumably from within Sheffield, who wore blue. Very few I must admit.

I found this picture showing both a khaki and a navy blue version of the 50's style uniform.

221st's old Scout hut on Linley Lane is no more. I believe it was built by the scouts themselves back in the distant past. It was quite a big place with a large stage for gang shows and the like. Kitchen, tuck shop, offices and a large basement where all the troop's camping gear was stored.

Aparently there were various options for uniform from 1908 to 1967, which included four colour options for the shirt.

Hat Khaki colour, flat brim, strap round crown and chin strap.

Neckerchief Of one colour for the Troop worn loosely knotted at the throat and also at the ends. (Woggle invented in 1920s)

Shirt Blue, khaki, green or grey two patch pockets (buttoned), shoulder straps or a jersey or sweater of the same colour, if preferred.

Shorts Blue or khaki.

Belt Brown leather; swivels, coat straps, pouch optional; buckles of a dull metal; approved design of a belt is obtainable from Headquarters.

Stockings Dark colour or khaki, coloured tops optional, green garters with tabs showing outside of leg. Stockings are worn turned down below the knee.

Shoes Black or brown.

Staff Marked in feet and inches

Aparently there were various options for uniform from 1908 to 1967, which included four colour options for the shirt.

Nice one Sir.

That sorts that then.

A :)

We can still do so as leaders but if questioned have to prove it's for a genuine purpose. Can still carry pen knives under 3" though. The reason this changed was down to those who were NOT members of the Scout Association finding themselves enevitably at a loose end and using them to stab each other!

10/10 to Hurcule DaveH for working out my forum name. A list of Sheffield Groups should be easy, especially if there is a badge to be gained - we like that sort of thing, although sadly there will be more listed as closed than currently open.

Since I tentatively suggested this list of scout groups in Sheffield 3 other members have already added there involvement to the list (vox, gramps and jmdee) indicating quite clearly not only an interest but actual involvement in the scouting movement in the City over the years.

If we include with the Scouts the younger Cubs, the Girl guides and their younger Brownies the interest may be even wider, possibly involving some of our female members.

Perhaps a whole thread on "Sheffield Scout & Guide movement" should be considered?

It might even develop into its own forum.

Anyway, I've started a thread with a list of all the Scout Groups - just waiting for my badge now!

It might even develop into its own forum.

Anyway, I've started a thread with a list of all the Scout Groups - just waiting for my badge now!

Nice work mike,

I have already checked out the new thread and downloaded the scout list, - a great start.

Just working on my design for a new (virtual) "Internet Poster" badge, - but if I do can I get a "badge designer" badge?

Just working on my design for a new (virtual) "Internet Poster" badge, - but if I do can I get a "badge designer" badge?
I'm sure I can find something to fit the bill.