Park & Arbourthorne WMC

dunsbyowl1867

Guest davekowl

My Father would have been devastated by the closure of the Park & Arbour if he had lived to see it . He had been a member from the day it was opened and used the club on a regular basis. He joined me on my 18th birthday and I too was a member up to its sad demise. I must admit that I did'nt use the club that much over the last few years of its existance and maybe that's one of the reasons why it closed its doors. :(

My Father would have been devastated by the closure of the Park & Arbour if he had lived to see it . He had been a member from the day it was opened and used the club on a regular basis. He joined me on my 18th birthday and I too was a member up to its sad demise. I must admit that I did'nt use the club that much over the last few years of its existance and maybe that's one of the reasons why it closed its doors. :(

The future plans for the Park & Arbourthorne, and the neighbouring area, are given here in this pdf document from Trinity Park Estates

Trinity Park Estates (pdf, - requires Adobe Reader)

The pdf file was 4.16MB and too big for a direct upload onto the site, hence the link.

The future plans for the Park & Arbourthorne, and the neighbouring area, are given here in this pdf document from Trinity Park Estates

Trinity Park Estates (pdf, - requires Adobe Reader)

The pdf file was 4.16MB and too big for a direct upload onto the site, hence the link.

At least it will be convenient for the Job Centre on Eastern Avenue :)

and the new refurbished Elm Tree (if it happens)

and I have heard there's a decent chip shop nearby :)

At least it will be convenient for the Job Centre on Eastern Avenue :)

and the new refurbished Elm Tree (if it happens)

and I have heard there's a decent chip shop nearby :)

Not only is there a job centre on Eastern Avenue (where my son currently has to sign on once a fortnight :(

But there is an A4E training place about the second shop past the Park & Arbourthorne going towards Manor Top

Indicative perhaps of the current level of unemployment in this area. :(

I think at a price of only £155,000 for the Elm Tree it may go as a house / flats / other business rather than a boozer, - not a lot of profit in pubs these days. :(

..and the decent chip shop nearby, - just up from the A4E centre was Beckets

It has long since gone and although it is still a chip shop suzy and wayneybabes tell me its not as good as Beckets :(

Sad thing about this area really, too many of these things, :( :( :(

What a sad sight :( What happened to all the Club members?

You know what I am going to say next Dave??????? Can't someone get in there and take some photos/video footage of the inside before its demolished :o

Having looked at the proposed flats, my personal view is that they will look like "a fish out of water". Handy, I know being near Beckets though he he he he

What a sad sight :(What happened to all the Club members?

You know what I am going to say next Dave??????? Can't someone get in there and take some photos/video footage of the inside before its demolished :o

Having looked at the proposed flats, my personal view is that they will look like "a fish out of water". Handy, I know being near Beckets though he hehe he

When my dad was alive he was a member of midhill WMC on East Bank Road and this was "affiliated" to the other WMC's so he could go in any of them.

In reality he went in the "Park & Arbour" more than any other club as living on Eastern Avenue it was only at the end of the street. However, he wasn't a big drinker and perhaps only went in on Saturday night every week or two.

When dad died my mum continued to go there with my auntie and some friends until my aunties health got so bad that it prevented her going out.

So, as far as I can see from my experience most of the members are from a generation which are dying along with the clubs that they used to frequent.

It's sad in a way really but I think that working men's were great in their day we used to frequent the Park and Abourthorne and Intake clubs in the 60s and 70s. My OH was a member of Intake but affilliated so when we went on holiday to skeggy we could take the kids in the clubs but not the pubs. Now however they can go into pubs for a meal and many of them have kids entertainment so the clubs are being phased out.OH is still a member at Handsworth and keeps paying the subs but probably not going half a dozen times a year. Turns aint what they used to be either!! :(

When my dad was alive he was a member of midhill WMC on East Bank Road and this was "affiliated" to the other WMC's so he could go in any of them.

In reality he went in the "Park & Arbour" more than any other club as living on Eastern Avenue it was only at the end of the street. However, he wasn't a big drinker and perhaps only went in on Saturday night every week or two.

When dad died my mum continued to go there with my auntie and some friends until my aunties health got so bad that it prevented her going out.

So, as far as I can see from my experience most of the members are from a generation which are dying along with the clubs that they used to frequent.

My Dad was a member of the Arundel and I have happy memories of going in there for the Easter Bonnet Parade and going on the yearly trip to the seaside. You are right, such clubs are few and far between and soon all will be gone :(

Anyway Dave : Can't someone get in there and take some photos/video footage of the inside before its demolished, on similar lines to what Wayneybabes did for Norfolk Juniors ???? You and Stuart could pose as prospective buyers making The Elm Tree your first stop, then the Park and Arbour :blink:

My Dad was a member of the Arundel and I have happy memories of going in there for the Easter Bonnet Parade and going on the yearly trip to the seaside. You are right, such clubs are few and far between and soon all will be gone :(

Anyway Dave : Can't someone get in there and take some photos/video footage of the inside before its demolished, on similar lines to what Wayneybabes did for Norfolk Juniors ???? You and Stuart could pose as prospective buyers making The Elm Tree your first stop, then the Park and Arbour :blink:

Don't think me and Stuart would get away with that one suzy,-

1}

Too many people on the Arbourthorne know us from years ago when we frequented boozers in this area <_<

2}

Too many people know we are both skint and can'y afford a boozer. :(

3}

Not really a job for us, we would probably drink most of the profits lol

4}

We don't take ourselves seriously, so I don't suppose anyone else would.

The film we would end up making would be something like "Laurel & Hardy try to buy a pub" he he

Don't think me and Stuart would get away with that one suzy,-

1}

Too many people on the Arbourthorne know us from years ago when we frequented boozers in this area <_<

2}

Too many people know we are both skint and can'y afford a boozer. :(

3}

Not really a job for us, we would probably drink most of the profits lol

4}

We don't take ourselves seriously, so I don't suppose anyone else would.

The film we would end up making would be something like "Laurel & Hardy try to buy a pub" he he

It would be worth it just to see the film!!! he he he he

It would be worth it just to see the film!!! he hehe he

To see what we would be like in this role you need to watch Laurel & Hardy's 1930 film "Blotto"

DaveH and Stuart0742 get drunk on the Arbourthorne....

To see what we would be like in this role you need to watch Laurel & Hardy's 1930 film "Blotto"

DaveH and Stuart0742 get drunk on the Arbourthorne....

Fantastic : which one is which???????

Are you sure you cant get the developers to let you in to take some pics before the whole thing is demolished? :(

Fantastic : which one is which???????

Are you sure you cant get the developers to let you in to take some pics before the whole thing is demolished? :(

Hard to say really, we both take it turns of bbeing the funny guy and the straight guy, - it keeps people on their toes, - they never know what we are going to do next. :blink::rolleyes:

Stuarts middle name is Charles so if we enter a boozer quiz and use a team name we are Chas n' Dave lol

We don't win that many quizes these days, and we don't do turns on the piano and banjo either ;-)