Bayleaf

White House

Whitehouse lane

Sheet 294.03 Sheffield (Neepsend) 1903

Posted by member Chris1943

Assignment of a 1/5 share in a reversionary interest in £3,000 E/GOR/007 1825

These documents are held at London Metropolitan Archives

Contents:

1. Wotton Byrchinshaw Thomas, Chesterfield, Derby, esq., and Rowland Hodgson, Sheffield, Yorks., esq., trustees to Charlotte Fernell (née Tudor), wife of (3)

2. Rowland Hodgson, and Joseph Wreaks of Sheffield, merchant, trustees to (3)

3. William Burgoyne Fernell, White House, Sheffield, gent.

4. George Tudor, Gower St., esq.

Consideration: for £300 paid by (4) to (2) in trust for (3) with the consent of (1) who inherited the share from her sister Harriette Hodgson (née Tudor) who received it as part of her marriage settlement from Rowland Hodgson her husband

Enclosed:

E/GOR/7/2-3: Solicitor's bill and accompanying letter, 27 June 1825

The Fernells decamped to Oaklands Broomhall. William Burgoyne Fernell was a solicitor in Sheffield according to the later directories, and by 1841 White House appears to be in multiple occupation, including a clutch of Wards and some Hooles of stove grate fame I assume.

I have never come across an illustration of the house or surroundings, but was told by my grandad(who got it from his father who lived on Centrefields) that the dam was at the bottom of the rough ground which had St Batholomews at the bottom

Another piece of Sheffield history came out of this

POEMS,

BY

BARBARA HOOLE.

"I never list presume to Parnass' hill,

"But piping low in shade of lowly grove,

"I play to please my self, albeit ill."

SPENSER.

SHEFFIELD:

PRINTED BY J. MONTGOMERY, AT THE IRIS OFFICE, (1805)

and her biography

Barbara Wreaks was born at Sheffield in 1770. Her father, Robert Wreaks, was a staple product manufacturer. She lost him when she was still an infant. After her mother quickly remarried, she was sent to live with a maiden aunt. In her early days Barbara kept a milliner's shop in Church Lane and contributed several poems to the 'Sheffield Courant' and 'Sheffield Iris'. In 1795 she contributed her first literary essay 'Characteristics of some leading inhabitants of Sheffield' to the 'Sheffield Courant'. In 1796 Barbara married Thomas Bradshaw Hoole, a Sheffield merchant, who tragically died from consumption only two years after their marriage leaving her a widow with a four month old son to take care of. Barbara was left with a 'considerable' estate, which unfortunately was soon lost through the failure of the firm with which it was involved. Her son's inheritance and her estate were wiped out. To help support herself and her son she published, with the help of a generous subscription from the people of Sheffield (some 2000 subscribers), a book of poems which for a short time made her enough money. She made enough money she was able to buy a boarding house in Harrogate. After a year of trying to make the business a success, it eventually failed, however while contending with the difficulties in which were involved with running a boarding school, she found time to make herself known as a writer of fiction. Thus achieving a short-lived independence. The following year, after ten years of widowhood, she married the struggling young artist Thomas Christopher Hofland. T. Christopher Hofland was known for his scenes overlooking Sheffield. In 1812 she published one of the novels she wrote while in Harrogate, The Clergyman's Widow; it sold 17,000 copies. The ill success of her husband's business compelled her to work even harder. By 1824 she had produced almost twenty works of fiction. Moving to London in 1811 helped increase her output, the first of these published was The Daughter-in-Law. Her next publication was her most famous to date, The Son of a Genius (1816). It well deserved this success from its genuine truth to nature, the vivid portrayal of the artistic temperament as she had observed it in her husband, and the artless but touching expression of her affection for her son by her fist marriage, whose early death from consumption cast a shadow over her life. She also wrote a spirited pamphlet on the disagreements between George IV and Queen Caroline, and, anticipation some modern developments of journalism, contributed letters of London literary gossip to provincial journals. She died on November 9, 1844 at the age of 74 in Richmond, Surrey.

Post by Gramps

Hi Chris, - Re the dam on White House lane. The 1850 OS map in fact shows two, although the one on the left is little more than a pond. Both of them appear on maps of 1795 and 1832.

Reduced 80% 956 x 538 (165.58K)//

It looks as if the larger one was built over by the Crown Brewery. It's fairly easy to visualise where the dam was keeping in mind that Wood lane on the 1850 map became Wood street on the 1905 map.

I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe the larger dam was built to supply the old cavalry barracks.