Clifford Dental Hospital/Dentists

dunsbyowl1867

On the 9th February 1935 Colonel Sir Charles Clifford presented Broom Bank, Glossop Road, to Sheffield University, for use as a dental hospital.

I remember people talking about having been there for dental work. Was it free if you let the students loose on yourself ?

We went to Walker Park's surgery in Ecclesfield ? Any more dentist memories or DIY efforts on your teeth?

On the 9th February 1935 Colonel Sir Charles Clifford presented Broom Bank, Glossop Road, to Sheffield University, for use as a dental hospital.

I remember people talking about having been there for dental work. Was it free if you let the students loose on yourself ?

We went to Walker Park's surgery in Ecclesfield ? Any more dentist memories or DIY efforts on your teeth?

I remember my father telling me of his one experience of Charles Clifford's,

the student was extracting one of his teeth when the pliers slipped

and put a large gash in his gum.

He had to have multiple stitches :(

Guest Trefcon

From the Sheffield Year Book.

"Sheffield Colonel's Shell"

The O.C. Sheffield Brigade (Colonel C. Clifford) received a shell into his dug-out at four o' clock one morning, not a pleasant visitor, but one which behaved with some consideration in that it failed to burst, but didn't fail to knock half the dug-out in. His difficulty was to appreciate the situation through a gas helmt. These shell's weighed 34 1/2 Lbs. (4.2 calibre)."

Glad it didn't busrt, i have had to have emergency work done there in the past!!

From the Sheffield Year Book.

"Sheffield Colonel's Shell"

The O.C. Sheffield Brigade (Colonel C. Clifford) received a shell into his dug-out at four o' clock one morning, not a pleasant visitor, but one which behaved with some consideration in that it failed to burst, but didn't fail to knock half the dug-out in. His difficulty was to appreciate the situation through a gas helmt. These shell's weighed 34 1/2 Lbs. (4.2 calibre)."

Glad it didn't busrt, i have had to have emergency work done there in the past!!

A "shell into his dug out" sounds potentially very painful! ;-)

I remember my father telling me of his one experience of Charles Clifford's,

the student was extracting one of his teeth when the pliers slipped

and put a large gash in his gum.

He had to have multiple stitches :(

HI SteveHB Ihave memories of Charles Clifford firstly it was built on a very large orchard from where i stole apples as a young boy

the next time l was on this land was just after it had been built about 10yrs later, l was sat in a Dentist's chair, having been suffering agonies all weekend, he said have you had breakfast ,when l said yes, he said you'll have to come back tomorrow , you have a large abscess under thi back tooth, on asking for alternatives , he said extraction without anything, after studying a few seconds,lsaid will it be quick, a second its a bit loose, he kept to his word there was very little pain, Then he said you have gingivitus [receding gum s] he gave me a date, this was a supposed new treatment it consisted of cutting a fine sliver of gum, all round then stuffing a plaster of paris pad in the space between the teeth for 2 weeks , it disintigrated in 2 days, l never went back, and had the lot removed a few years later , skeets.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

A "shell into his dug out" sounds potentially very painful! ;-)

I wonder if there are any former members of the staff at the Charles Clifford Dental Hospital who have any memories of working there. My sister, and a good friend of hers called Evelyn Burns started there after leaving school sometime around 1956 or 1957. They later became dental receptionists for an established private dentist.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

I wonder if there are any former members of the staff at the Charles Clifford Dental Hospital who have any memories of working there. My sister, and a good friend of hers called Evelyn Burns started there after leaving school sometime around 1956 or 1957. They later became dental receptionists for an established private dentist.

I have come across this picture, from the Sheffield Telegraph (or it could have been The Star) from about 1957. The caption reads:

Alderman A. Ballard, chairman of the United Sheffield Hospitals, is sure that the fear of going to the dentist would be completely removed if the patient was to be received by well-trained pretty girls. He said so yesterday when he presented badges and certificates to five girl student dental surgery assistants at the Charles Clifford Dental Hospital, Wellesley Road, Sheffield. In the picture he is presenting Janet Hargreaves with her badges. Looking on are Mr J. D. Haggie and Evelyn Burns, Patricia Farnsworth, Christine Ann Potts, and Susan Debra Stanley, the other recipients. Another girl, Margaret Ann Potts, was unable to be present to collect her award as her home is in Cheltenham.

I apologise for the quality of the picture, but hope it might revive a few memories --should any of the girls involved be looking in!

I spent a lot of time at Charles Clifford in 1958. I only went to have one filling but finished up with a mouth full. Mr Beeley the student who treated me was very good and I still have some of his handy work left to prove it.

Turning the subject to Dentists in general - I've always thought this a fine house - was this anyone's dentist - I'd never noticed it had a name before, Firs Hill House, Barnsley Road, Pitsmoor