Green 'Un Footballer Cartoons

Guest BUXT0NGENT

Guest BUXT0NGENT

Many will remember that there would be a 'cartoon' in the Green'Un every week.

The body would be small and of the appropriate colours, whilst the head would be drawn oversize, sufficient to be seen and very lifelike.

These were about the size of a cigarette card, and the name 'Heap' seems to ring a bell.

Can anyone help?

The body would be small and of the appropriate colours, whilst the head would be drawn oversize, sufficient to be seen and very lifelike.

These were about the size of a cigarette card, and the name 'Heap' seems to ring a bell.

Can anyone help?

See this Topic

Aslo I am in the process of scanning the front pages of the Green 'un for 1951/52, Dereck Dooley's Goals Year, these all had Heaps Cartoons on them

See this Link

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

See this Topic

Aslo I am in the process of scanning the front pages of the Green 'un for 1951/52, Dereck Dooley's Goals Year, these all had Heaps Cartoons on them

See this Link

If you look around on this site, and on Sheffield Forum, there are several references to cartoonists, including Heap. Look for a thread re Little Sport, and one re L.R. Briault. Also some of the Gloops stuff relates to cartoonists.

Earlier, I tried without success to post a Heap cartoon here. Don't know what I did wrong. I won't try now until I have sent this message, but if a cartoon pops up later, you'll know where it's from!

If you look around on this site, and on Sheffield Forum, there are several references to cartoonists, including Heap. Look for a thread re Little Sport, and one re L.R. Briault. Also some of the Gloops stuff relates to cartoonists.

Earlier, I tried without success to post a Heap cartoon here. Don't know what I did wrong. I won't try now until I have sent this message, but if a cartoon pops up later, you'll know where it's from!

Heap on Jimmy Dailey

That was Wally Boyes, Shefield born star of Everton and West Brom. Scored against the Owls in 1935 final. Had a sports shop on Barnsley Road, Firvale, in the 1950s.

Can anyone help?

Me and my mates used to frequent the"old"Mulberry Tavern and on a Saturday evening Harry Heap would often be in to have a few jars after being at the respective home games.Another memory of those days was a certain part time reporter who shall remain nameless used to report on reserve games at Hillsborough and Bramall Lane, but there was a little problem he never attended any of the games, but complied reports from other reporters and friendswho had,another frequenter of the pub at that time was Doug Whitcombe the old Wednesday Welsh international,remember him?

Me and my mates used to frequent the"old"Mulberry Tavern and on a Saturday evening Harry Heap would often be in to have a few jars after being at the respective home games.Another memory of those days was a certain part time reporter who shall remain nameless used to report on reserve games at Hillsborough and Bramall Lane, but there was a little problem he never attended any of the games, but complied reports from other reporters and friendswho had,another frequenter of the pub at that time was Doug Whitcombe the old Wednesday Welsh international,remember him?

Doug Witcomb was a pretty good wing-half back in that early post-war era. He smoked a pipe (not on the field, of course), and was, I am told, a very likeable chap. He died, I think, in rather tragic circumstances, several years ago now. I think he went missing, and there was a long search for him, he suffered from dementia.

Guest BUXT0NGENT

Doug Witcomb was a pretty good wing-half back in that early post-war era. He smoked a pipe (not on the field, of course), and was, I am told, a very likeable chap. He died, I think, in rather tragic circumstances, several years ago now. I think he went missing, and there was a long search for him, he suffered from dementia.

Thanks for all the cartoons and the links. I remember when I was away for 9months in S.Shields (61/62) and dad always got 2 Green 'Uns, the first of which he immediately wrapped and put in the post for me. It awaited my return to digs on Mon afternoon, and always turned out to be a scramble between myself and 'Uncle Bill' with whom I was staying as to who got to read it first. Uncle Bill was a true Geordie, born ,raised and lived on the banks of the Tyne, but he always said that it was the best football paper he'd ever read.

I remember Dougie Whitcomb.

'Mulberry Tavern' - was this the one off Orchard Street? if so , We started going in there about 1964, when one of the regulars was a certain Geordie - Jerry Young- a great blok and a loyal servant to Wednesday.

Pity the book I have of the history of Sheffield Wednesday contains the sports pages of the Daily Mirror and not The Green 'Un. Now that would be a book worth having!!!!

Thanks for all the cartoons and the links. I remember when I was away for 9months in S.Shields (61/62) and dad always got 2 Green 'Uns, the first of which he immediately wrapped and put in the post for me. It awaited my return to digs on Mon afternoon, and always turned out to be a scramble between myself and 'Uncle Bill' with whom I was staying as to who got to read it first. Uncle Bill was a true Geordie, born ,raised and lived on the banks of the Tyne, but he always said that it was the best football paper he'd ever read.

I remember Dougie Whitcomb.

'Mulberry Tavern' - was this the one off Orchard Street? if so , We started going in there about 1964, when one of the regulars was a certain Geordie - Jerry Young- a great blok and a loyal servant to Wednesday.

Pity the book I have of the history of Sheffield Wednesday contains the sports pages of the Daily Mirror and not The Green 'Un. Now that would be a book worth having!!!!

Have you read the books "Wednesday!", "Wednesday Every Day of the Week", "The Blades and the Owls" and "Sheffield Football: A History" in 2 vols? Some cartoons in those books, I think, and some good pictures!